Arm pain getting worse

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Mike

Arm pain getting worse

Post by Mike »

So iv upped my bike miles already this year and am I now paying for it?

Iv a Sharpe pain in my right arm and it's seems to be in the muscle that is on the top of the arm that runs from my elbow down my forearm if you are looking at it from the top in the middle. It's giving me some right jip. Even when I hold my arm up now to brush my teeth it's hurting. Visit to a doc on Monday but anyone else had similar pain? I'm wondering if it's from the riding? It's either my brachio radialis or the extensor carpi radials longus....If I press it it bloody hurts
Lawmanmx

Re: Arm pain getting worse

Post by Lawmanmx »

cycling palsy Mike?
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Mike wrote:..If I press it it bloody hurts
Firstly I would suggest not pressing it :-bd

I’ve suffered from hand numbness and other problems for some time,things which have helped have been ergon grips, various ‘alt’ bars the best being answer 20/20. I found carbon bars made a surprisingly difference.

Get your bars up! Generally I set mine up level or slightly higher than the saddle, the one thing which has made a huge difference is drop bars. I took a bit of a risk on a Fargo, in the drops you can relax your grip because it’s so secure. My woodchippers are set up with the hook of the drops at seat level. A short high rise stem can also help shift weight off the hands
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
jameso

Post by jameso »

I'm not a pysiotherapist or a bike fitter Mike but if there's one thing I've learned from excessive miles at times and riding a lot of different bike fits, then having to solve the odd discomforts that crop up, it's that a pain in one place is rarely if ever related solely to the part of the bike nearest to it. Unless it's a saddle sore :grin:

Arm pain could be bars but it's odd that it's on one side only. I get something similar in my right shoulder. The fix seems related to solving hamstring/hip tension that ends up being compensated for in my neck and shoulders, shows up as an odd shoulder ache during long rides. Similarly the hamstring stretch solves my lower back pain that is also based on hip tension. Apparently few of us are 100% straight and even down the centre so compensation issues can be felt as one-sided aches and pains. Your arm pain could also be other things like sitting off-centre, random things like that.

Swap the bar and see what happens but keep in mind any other issues that come up and look for the links back along the chain. The arm bone's connected to the,, knee bone .. in a cyclist's case.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Had the same sort of pain a few years back doctor said it was tendonitis from repetitive movement or vibration(clean minds only please ) , he just told me to buy a plastic clamp what velcros across the top of the fore arm you can get them from most sport shops think they are marketed as tennis elbow clamps ,it fits tight and evens out the pressure on the affected muscle,wore mine for about 6 weeks and haven't had a problem since
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Just a random thought, but are you covering the brake a lot with that hand? Holding your fingers out and ready to brake could give constant tension along the top of the forearm.

I've had to switch to drop bars due to knackered (OA and ligament damage) wrists and its far better for the riding I tend to do.

Hope you get sorted.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I had RSI (from mixing cement of all things) in my right arm / wrist. It was very painful. Could it possibly be something like this? Lots of miles on the same bike?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ootini

Post by ootini »

Sounds a bit like a muscular sub-clinical bend... !!! You're not a diver are you ?
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yes stu all on the arkose :shock:
Loki

Post by Loki »

I would get a physio to check the injury then look at speaking to a bike fitter, helped with my knee issues.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Loki wrote:I would get a physio to check the injury then look at speaking to a bike fitter, helped with my knee issues.
Wot he said.

If you don't fancy that buy a Jones. They fix everything.
slarge

Post by slarge »

Yes mate, you need a physio who knows about cycling (Helen Tudge is in Warwick and she's a cycling physio who runs the pilates I go to.).

Little point asking us lot, we can't see you and are probably not trained....

But the knee bone is connected to the arm bone, that's what it's all about
giryan

Post by giryan »

+1 on the physio thing.
A couple of years ago I had a really annoying recurrent pain in my left arm, which I thought was tendonitis.
Physio diagnosed it as a tear in the Extensor Carpi Ulnaris (I think, it was aducting that was the problem)
forbade me from riding, and gave me some stretches, and it was all good in a short while.
Caused by MTB, I used to have as tendency to bend my hands up(lowering my wrists) on the handlebars, which puts that muscle at near full extension and so it ended up absorbing a lot of shock when doing rough descents. Ensuring my wrist was neutral after it had all healed means it's all good now. :D
Mike

Post by Mike »

Cheers Steve can u text me her details please pal if u have them ;)
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

Pirahna wrote:
Loki wrote:I would get a physio to check the injury then look at speaking to a bike fitter, helped with my knee issues.
Wot he said.

If you don't fancy that buy a Jones. They fix everything.
get a jones,all my aches and pains have gone :lol:
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

ootini wrote:Sounds a bit like a muscular sub-clinical bend... !!! You're not a diver are you ?
a muff diver :lol: