Bike on a Train (Cardboard Box)

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Richard G

Bike on a Train (Cardboard Box)

Post by Richard G »

Very quick question for those here with experience...

Is there much I need to worry about with regard to taking a bike on a train in a cardboard box? I did a bike bag before and didn't even bother reserving (as it's luggage at that point)... but a bike in a cardboard box is a bit bigger than that, so I'm not so sure where I stand. I'm a little concerned because I'm going to need to be on a peak service unless I travel the night before and pay for a hotel.
Chew

Re: Bike on a Train (Cardboard Box)

Post by Chew »

Depends on the operator

Travelled to the airport plenty of times without issue on Northern.

Are there the usual bike spaces or will it be something like Virgin?
Mike

Post by Mike »

rich ive always just took it on built up ready to ride and loaded? just stood it in the guards carriage
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I don't really fancy packing it at the airport. Would mean an even earlier train (and I'm already planning on leaving about 06:00).

Seems to be Great Western Railway. Dedicated bike storage on the train from Cardiff to Reading, but not from Reading to Gatwick.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Ah I see. Your off on ya travels again have a good trip :smile:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

:-bd
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

The 06:00 to London will be standing room only from Bristol. you won't make any friends by having a massive cardboard box in the way of all the commuters and could well be asked to remove it and go on another (off peak) train. This Happened to John back in September as he was going back to NZ.

Book it as a bike and get it in one of the 2 dedicated bike places behind the engine and your a good to go.

However, the Reading to Gatwick is a "posh" version of a valleys line train and again, will be full of commuters.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Apparently you flat out can't take bikes on that service. Red spotted hanky gives you the option, but the GWR site says...
Bikes aren’t allowed on services:
* arriving at London Paddington between 07:45 and 09:45
Nothing ever simple. That would mean I have to go down the night before, costing an extra £100 for a hotel. Joy. Might as well just take the car if I have to do that.

(Nice to meet you briefly at the cafe btw, I'm the one who is also from Cardiff / went to Aber Uni)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm also really confused... I could have sworn I was on a site yesterday that showed the number of bike spaces available for a particular service, but now I can't find it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Richard G wrote:I'm also really confused... I could have sworn I was on a site yesterday that showed the number of bike spaces available for a particular service, but now I can't find it.
Have a look in your browser history Richard - Ctrl+h (or Cmd+h for the Mac), there'll be a "yesterday" section.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Taken a boxed, or bagged bike to Gatwick from Reading on the train loads of time with no issue. Think the guards view it differently if its packed. I am Reading based if need any help.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

Richard G wrote:
(Nice to meet you briefly at the cafe btw, I'm the one who is also from Cardiff / went to Aber Uni)

Ahh ... so you are Richard G :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

whitestone wrote:Have a look in your browser history Richard - Ctrl+h (or Cmd+h for the Mac), there'll be a "yesterday" section.
Cheers, I found it. Was on National Rail Enquiries, but seemingly only shows for random services.

On the subject in general, I think I'm going to mail them and ask them if there's space for a large cardboard box anywhere on that service. If not, car it is.

(There's an option for a 05:15 train, but I'd rather pay £100 for a hotel at that point!)
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

So I asked GWR specifically for advice on the rush hour train...
Thank you for your query regarding taking large items on the train.

It is possible for customers to leave large items in the space where the conductor is at the front. However, this depends on the day weather or not this is available so I am unable to guarantee this for you. I would advise you getting to the station early and asking a member of staff as soon as possible.
Yeah. Useful (especially given it's a 6am train). Not exactly the kind of thing I'd be willing to bet missing a flight on. Really, nothing is ever simple.
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Richard G wrote:
Seems to be Great Western Railway. Dedicated bike storage on the train from Cardiff to Reading, but not from Reading to Gatwick.
Doubt you'd have an issue on the Reading to Gatwick train. They're laid out differently to most trains, loads and loads of luggage space on them.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
wriggles

Post by wriggles »

Richard G; PM'd you :grin: