Wild About Argyll Trail

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

whitestone

Wild About Argyll Trail

Post by whitestone »

Last year there was this thread http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... lit=argyll about a survey on a proposed bikepacking route. Well it's gone live - http://bikepackingscotland.com/argyll/
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ton

Re: Wild About Argyll Trail

Post by ton »

some nice riding around there.
done the loop south from Tarbert. it passes a fantastic little seafood hut at Skipness. well worth a visit.

also done the stuff from Brander lodge down the length of Loch Awe to Killmartin. again lovely riding.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Watched that yesterday, looks lovely eh...think I'd like to pop up this year. My few trips last year were all on my CX riding gravel mostly.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Looks like another great reason to get on with my gravel bike project. The Lismore island detour could be a bit of a faff if on a tight schedule (although probably a great bivi spot); presumably the ferry can be taken from Oban to Port Appin? I would also suggest a slight amend to the statement on when to ride in this area:

The best time to visit is from April to October.

Change to - the last weekend in May. Or the one before.
Dyffers

Post by Dyffers »

I've ridden a fair chunk of the eastern part on the Gryphon I have stashed up there for when I'm working in the area.

I've been keeping a eye on this as I might be able to get a couple of days off at the end of the next job when I fancy riding the West part of the route with a start/finish around Strachur, cutting a few corners to fit it in. Ferries always give me the fear when I'm trying to cram in miles without knowing how fast I'll be. Consequently I doubt the Lismore island hop would survive the final plan, as nice as it would undoubtedly be.
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

HTrider phil put up a route last year covering a lot of this, I think. Maybe called The West Highland 500.
I did a chunk of that for summer solstice last year and loved it.

Great area to ride in.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

pushbikemike wrote:HTrider phil put up a route last year covering a lot of this, I think. Maybe called The West Highland 500.

Great area to ride in.
Thought I remembered something along those lines. Here's the thread http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =15&t=8770
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

That's the one. I made use of some of that route last year cycling from home to near Oban for a family holiday. What I did of the route was cracking and I had brilliant weather. Plan to do a bigger chunk of it this year.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Looks a lovely route. However, I would like to request a change of music from 'On the way to my own funeral' by the piano tuners apprentice to something with a touch more umph. Also, why does the video make it look like the entire trail is one continual climb?
May the bridges you burn light your way
pushbikemike

Post by pushbikemike »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Also, why does the video make it look like the entire trail is one continual climb?
I thought that too. :???:
Pretty sure there are some descents out there.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Music could be worse, it could be bloody bagpipes!
Interesting that the video showed the actual prevailing weather rather than being shot in the 3 days a decade that the sun shines. Personally I prefer my riding without the added feature of trench foot.
Only joking, one of the most memorable Trailquests I did was based in Tayvallich. Fantastic riding including a ridge trail overlooking a cloud inversion across the Sound of Jura with the Paps just poking through the cloud.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Tom and I are going to have a bash at this at February 1/2 term if anybody fancies a ride out.

More details nearer the time (17 February (ish))
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd rich ill be heading up the week before to ride unfortunately
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Mike wrote::-bd rich ill be heading up the week before to ride unfortunately

Have you got a target time Mike? Markus said with the filming it took him 6 days.
mikejd

Post by mikejd »

Bearbonesnorm wrote
Also, why does the video make it look like the entire trail is one continual climb?
Makes a change to all the MTB videos which only show the descents...
Keith74

Post by Keith74 »

Luckily most of this is on my doorstep but have never managed to join it all together.Might have to this year as it looks a great week on the bike.
https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100086163783548

Stay in the banks of Loch Fyne in Argyll.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Makes a change to all the MTB videos which only show the descents...
It does and I think it makes a nice change to see something portrayed in a more 'truthful' manner but it seems slightly at odds with the promo' nature of the film? Perhaps I'm just so used to seeing things skewed on film that it was quite noticeable in this instance?
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mike

Post by Mike »

Rich no I will be treating it as a joliday and taking it all in problem over 8 days. May even add stuff to it if the weather is ok
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

whitestone wrote:
pushbikemike wrote:HTrider phil put up a route last year covering a lot of this, I think. Maybe called The West Highland 500.

Great area to ride in.
Thought I remembered something along those lines. Here's the thread http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =15&t=8770
I'll not sue Markus for copyright! Tons of potential in this area and you can throw in ferry journeys to add to the fun and food (Calmac Steak pies and full breakfasts are worth the crossing alone)
The weather is crap and the midges are horrendous but then this can apply to all of Scotland so don't be put off.....