Tool lust...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jam bo

Tool lust...

Post by jam bo »

I’m a sucker for a well designed tool and flush from a PPI payout I just ordered one of these off the back of the bikepacking review. Surprisingly reasonable $5 international postage too.

http://www.bikepacking.com/gear/wolf-to ... bo-pliers/

Anyone else a fool for a well designed tool...
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Tool lust...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I like that. Looks well thought out and not complicated for the sake of it or to simply appear clever.
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Saw that earlier today and it’s very tempting. Will wait until pat day...
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

jam bo

Post by jam bo »

I needed a set of link pliers anyway, 10 spd ones I could just about do with my fingers but 11spd ones are even harder.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Nice.

I could have done with that last night when one of our group managed to snap his mech hanger. Luckily I had spare 9-speed link and managed to get him single-speeded.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I saw the review this afternoon and thought it looked like a well thought out piece of kit.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Sold out in black already :shock:

edit pedal addiction in the UK are showing stock, but they're also showing as having 99 black/green in stock, so I doubt its live stock
polarcherry

Post by polarcherry »

Nice and $5 postage is great if you don't get hit for £8 + vat customs
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Oooo that’s nice, although I have a nice pair of KMC link pliers I wouldn’t take them out.

I did read a tip that you could open quick links by threading a shoelace through the link and pulling in opposite directions, never tried it though.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

BigdummySteve wrote:I did read a tip that you could open quick links by threading a shoelace through the link and pulling in opposite directions, never tried it though.
Seems to work: https://youtu.be/z4aHi7jxY2I?t=40s
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Couldn’t help myself :-bd

BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

jam bo wrote: Anyone else a fool for a well designed tool...
It would appear so :-bd

mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

I did read a tip that you could open quick links...
If needed- put quick link on chainring, move one side of the quick link over one tooth so the quick link sticks out making a triangle, then hit sticking out roller in the direction of the quick link with a multi tool/hammer/rock depending on desperation. I have used all three options and they all work assuming you can find the right shaped rock.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

mat_swan wrote:
I did read a tip that you could open quick links...
If needed- put quick link on chainring, move one side of the quick link over one tooth so the quick link sticks out making a triangle, then hit sticking out roller in the direction of the quick link with a multi tool/hammer/rock depending on desperation. I have used all three options and they all work assuming you can find the right shaped rock.
The bike last night had one of those chainring-mounted trouser protector rings on so that standby didn't work.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Am I missing something for needing this on the trail? Why would you need to open a split link on the trial?

If the chain snapped you'd just be putting in a new split link wouldn't you? And possibly be better with a chain link extractor to remove and damaged links?

The only time I've needed to split the chain is when swapping one or putting a new one on.

Carry a chain link extractor anyway and split links for any issue on the trail. And that's been needed twice when my chain snapped.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Am I missing something for needing this on the trail? Why would you need to open a split link on the trial?
Possibly. I've had many a long swearing session on the trail trying to get split links off. Especially when cold or the chain is covered in poor show. I've had to do this when rear mechs been damaged and a singlespeed bodge is needed.

At the moment I carry a small set of pliers to help but a toll like this would make life a lot easier
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

OK maybe I am missing it and one day I'll think damn, if only...

I'm certainly not dissing the tool and I'd certainly use it at home, but more likely to use chain link extractor out and about.
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

But dave wouldn't you just split the chain and use a new split link, I must admit I'm a little confused too. Looks a well made little tool though but as said above not sure of its requirement in the bike bag
nedrapier

Post by nedrapier »

I did read a tip that you could open quick links by threading a shoelace through the link and pulling in opposite directions, never tried it though.
I've got a 12" length of gear cable in the tool box for this. Probably worth the 3 grammes to take it out with the bike tool kit.
mat_swan

Post by mat_swan »

The bike last night had one of those chainring-mounted trouser protector rings on so that standby didn't work.
Hmmm. I've made it work with a freeridey style big-ring-replacement bashguard, can't say I've tried it on something with a trouser protector.

Hang on, do you mean one of the chain cases that runs half the length of the chainstays because that would certainly make it more difficult! I wonder if you could achieve the same effect on the cassette
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

If your particularly accident prone or unlucky you could set up a single speed and then put the additional chain back on with another quick link.
That way a derailleur mishap could delt with in a minute using this tool in the field.

ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I’ve replaced all my quick links with whipperman connex links.

They open and close by hand really easily. Just rotate to 90 degrees and slide.

Not cheap but work well. One has been through 5 chains now with no stretch.

Edit to add that does look like a well made tool :-bd
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Sorry to de-rail the topic, but if your derailleur :???: totally knackers and you have to take it off which is the best sprocket to fit your chain to?

On a 2x10 Smallest as it isn't likely to 'fall' up and you at least got the small chainring too?

Just thinking if you fitted it single speed to another bigger sprocket is it likely to slip off?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Whichever gives the best chainline - and allows a taut chain.

In our case it was middle ring of a triple. Wasn't a bad ratio either.