October in the Peak District/Yorkshire

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

rando nomad

October in the Peak District/Yorkshire

Post by rando nomad »

My wife has a conference in Manchester in late September of this year and we're looking to tack on some holidays to it. (20th wedding anniversary) We'd like to do the Way of the Roses C2C ride and she was wondering about weather that time of year? We live in the US (don't ask why, it's a long convoluted story) thus the question of weather. End of September/first week of October typically- ok for a tour assuming we have proper rain gear? We have good rain gear- lived in Vancouver Canada for 20+ years, it's just a matter of her being worried about excessive rain/cold at that time of year. We'd probably not camp, but I hope to get her to expand her overnight options to perhaps a bothy.

Any advice would be appreciated.
Chew

Re: October in the Peak District/Yorkshire

Post by Chew »

If i was coming over to the UK i'd either recommend June or September

Generally the weather in September to mid October is generally settled.
Probably in the 10-15 degree range and can be quite pleasant if you get a good week.

Depends on how much time you have because the Way of the Roses is 2/3 days of riding. Plenty of advice on the official page and B&B's enroute.
In Reverse

Re: October in the Peak District/Yorkshire

Post by In Reverse »

Should be pleasant at that time of year. You'd be unlucky to get absolutely drenched but you couldn't rule it out.

When I did it there was torrential rain for about two hours at the end of the first day and glorious sunshine the rest of the weekend.

Accommodation-wise there are nice B&Bs all along the route but they do get booked up, particularly around Settle/Grassington etc.