Longevity of aluminim frames

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Jurassic pusher

Longevity of aluminim frames

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Hi, just wondered does anyone have a old aged aluminium frame that still going strong?
I have a frame that's about 10 yo, curious how much life left in it (not treated badly)
I`d be grateful for your thoughts.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Longevity of aluminim frames

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Corrosion or fatigue due to 'flexing' are the two things most likely to kill an alloy frame. They tend to be over-built which kind of negates the issue of fatigue and unless they've had a very hard life, corrosion shouldn't really cause an early demise either.

Apologies if you were looking for an excuse to buy a new frame :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Many years ago I sold a Cannodale alloy frame to someone I worked with and sort of considered a friend then stupidly bought it back without checking it after he commuted on it through the winter. When I got round to supposedly putting it back together I found holes in the seatstays where road salt had been thrown up from the rear wheel and eaten through the alloy. Needless to say I was less than happy.
slarge

Post by slarge »

My Stumpy FSR is 15 years old, but to be honest is knackered. Lots of crazing under the paint where the ally is corroding, but then I also have a hardtail of the same age that's had an easier life and that is going strong. Still ride it a lot and it doesn't look tired at all.
Jurassic pusher

Post by Jurassic pusher »

Thanks for the replies, `m not trying to justify a new frame purchase... honest ! :oops:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

My GT frame is 15 years old and rock solid. Up until recently I'd managed no avoid denting it too... despite LOADS of crashes. :oops:
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've got an Identiti frame I've had for 10 years and it was second hand when I bought it. It looks OK with no visible signs of ageing. On the orher hand it might be about to fail catastrophically without warning ... I wouldn't chance it, buy a new frame :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Blair512

Post by Blair512 »

My 2010 rockhopper split at the chainstay a few months ago. I bought it second hand, toured on it with loads of gear in panniers and then commuted on it every day so I'm surprised it lasted so long!
SixPotBelly

Post by SixPotBelly »

Maybe it's me getting old but I don't consider a 10 year-old bike to be old. Just not new. I bought my aluminium MTB in 2002 and that still feels like yesterday, and despite the brand's nickname it hasn't Crack'n'failed yet.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

A very good way of prolonging the life of metal frames (steel or alloy, MTB or road) is to use copperslip, or similar copper-based grease on the BB threads. This will usually prevent corrosion due to road salt bonding the steel threads of the BB to the BB shell of the frame much more effectively than normal grease.
I wrecked an alloy Specialized Allez road frame trying to remove a BB that was bonded in by corrosion and by the time I finally got the BB out by use of blowtorch, the threads were buggered and would not hold a new BB.

PS: please do not interpret these comments in anyway as my advocating press-fit type BBs!!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: