Bivvi bag recommendations please?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

restlessshawn

Bivvi bag recommendations please?

Post by restlessshawn »

If I'm camping I use a Six Moon Designs wild oasis (it's about 620g with pole, 6 pegs and a tyvek ground sheet). If I am planning to stay in a bothy I still always take it just in case but thinking I could get away with just taking a bivvi bag on those occasions since I wouldn't really be planning to sleep in it*.

Thinking I could also use it when it's colder under the wild oasis just to keep warmer?

Must be actually waterproof
Significantly lighter than 620g
A built in midge net would be a bonus (I'm in Scotland)

Apart from the obvious Hunka I quite like the look of this (looks easier to get in and out of)
http://www.snugpak.com/outdoor/accessor ... -bivvi-bag

*after WRT 2012 I'm pretty sure I vowed never to sleep in a bivvi bag again
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Bivvi bag recommendations please?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Mountain Hardwear Ion is probably the lightest / smallest packing WATERPROOF bivvy I've ever used: https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/mount ... lsrc=aw.ds

Breathes well enough and has a proper hood.

Not tried that Snugpak but if it's owt like another Snugpak bivvy I used, it'll be a very damp soggy morning. I actually find the Hunka to be a very good bivvy. Fully waterproof and breathes very well - always minimal condensation.

Rab Ascent is also worth a look. It'll be heavier and bigger but it has a net and it's eVent so will breath better than most. It could be considered a true stand-alone shelter.
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Might be a bit pricey after shipping and import duties but Borah Gear do bivy bags with bug nets - http://borahgear.com/chestbivy.html The heavier model is 185g so well within your limit :-bd I've one of their cuben fibre bags that I bought from Ian Fitz. They will do custom alterations if their standard models aren't quite what you want. Note that they quote girth rather than width as is common here - just divide by two (then multiply by 2.54 to get in to modern units :wink: )
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

But they're not waterproof Bob ... except the Snowyside.
May the bridges you burn light your way
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Ion looks almost perfect actually, need to consider if I want to spend £90

Hunka is obviously basically half the price!

I was drawn to the snugpak being uk made and I have a snugpak softie bag for a pointless bit of coordination...but that's not a glowing review

RAB is getting in to just take the wild oasis weight, though I appreciate you can roll it out anywhere

Borah stuff doesn't sound waterproof enough for use without a tarp in the UK? Also ££££
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

When I was looking the Ascent was the lightest properly breathable, waterproof, bug-netted bivvy bag I could find. It has not disappointed me and it is usable without a tarp. I also have a Ti-goat Kestrel which is a fraction of the weight but does need full tarpage as it's not waterproof.

I tend not to compare the weight of bag and shelter when deciding which to use, it's more about the utility of it. The Ascent excels on those trips where I'm completely unsure when, where and for how long I'll be stopping (if at all) as it will work anywhere with least faff.

If you fancy a trip to Aviemore then you can borrow mine for a trip and see how you get on.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The cuben fibre bag definitely isn't waterproof but then any bag with a large panel of bug netting is going to struggle with that! I think the best that can be said of the lightweight Borah bivvies is that they'll keep mist/drizzle off. I use it with a tarp but then even with the Hunka I'll only really use it on its own if there's no risk of rain and I'm mainly looking at stopping any breeze negating the insulation of my sleeping bag.
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

I've got an MSR E-Bivy..

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... bivy-p5029

And got it for less than this too.

Spotty Dog IMHO, but yet to use it in anger.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

ScotRoutes wrote: I tend not to compare the weight of bag and shelter when deciding which to use, it's more about the utility of it. The Ascent excels on those trips where I'm completely unsure when, where and for how long I'll be stopping (if at all) as it will work anywhere with least faff.

If you fancy a trip to Aviemore then you can borrow mine for a trip and see how you get on.
This is a fair point I suppose I need to consider. Struggled once in the 'summer' to pitch anywhere as it was either rock hard fire road or bog for miles.

I'll have an eBay clearout and see how much money I end up with :lol:

Planning to get back to the Cairngorms some time this year! I almost had to swim my way out on my last trip and ended up getting the train of shame from Aviemore back to Blair Atholl :oops:
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

restlessnative wrote:
ScotRoutes wrote: I tend not to compare the weight of bag and shelter when deciding which to use, it's more about the utility of it. The Ascent excels on those trips where I'm completely unsure when, where and for how long I'll be stopping (if at all) as it will work anywhere with least faff.

"This is a fair point I suppose I need to consider. Struggled once in the 'summer' to pitch anywhere as it was either rock hard fire road or bog for miles."

I was thinking along those lines last year, and was very taken by the Outdoor Research Helium Bivvy, (but didn't go ahead due to lack of funds plus current set up is OK for what I do). Might be worth a look?

Edit to insert lost quote marks.
Scud

Post by Scud »

I've a Rab Superlight which is a discontinued model, but similar to the Ascent.

I really like it because it is a "big volume" bag, so unlike my old Hunka XL as a broad-shouldered gent i can turn over in night without whole bag rolling, plus there is a guy attachment point on top, so it holds the bag open and means that is is off your face making it less claustrophobic if the weather is closed in. Plus eVent fabric means i rarely suffer condensation. Main thing though is that despite it being heavier than some bag, i rarely take a tarp as well as i know i can close it right up and be out of the weather.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I could post the Ascent if that works better for you.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

ScotRoutes wrote:I could post the Ascent if that works better for you.
that's very generous, let me have a think ta, not sure if they are just too spendy anyway!
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

This:

https://mountainlaureldesigns.com/produ ... soul-bivy/

Super pricey, but exceptional quality.

The lightest truly breathable / waterproof bivi for stand-alone use.
Bug net window that can be zipped closed in wet weather.
Unsurprisingly, a bit delicate...
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

At the moment I'm using a Rab Survival Zone, purchased for £36 from Cotswold last year, thanks to the bargain alert thread I think. I deliberately went for it because of its size, something between a Hunka and Hunka XL, so gives me enough space to move around a bit. No midge net, but I simply wear a head net and pull the drawstring tight. This bivi has been used on all my trips since last April, my others not even being considered. At 440g it's not super light, but it's a luxury item that makes things more comfortable for me, and also means that I never need to bother with a tarp either.

My first bivi is an old-style Terra Nova Moonlite. It's under 200g, and saw use both with and without a tarp in various Scottish bivis. My first bivi night, up in the Pentlands, was in the snow, and both it and my down bag survived. It's also seen light rain, but nothing particularly miserable. It's still a great piece of kit, its only drawback being that the drawstring can be annoying to tighten.

I also have a Terra Nova Discovery Lite, around 300g, and is Paclite. Fully waterproof, it saw use in heavy rain. It's relatively small, so me at 6ft is probably as big as it'd fit, and the zip closure makes it quite claustrophobic if you prefer drawstring bags.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a Goretex bivy bag that I can't remember the manufacturer's name of that I don't use. I had/have it for sale in the Classifieds but it's been there for ages. If you are at the Winter Event then I can bring it down. It's the "standard" size so the same size as a Hunka.
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

I was looking for something lighter than the terranova laser one and for faster pitch and packing with a smaller volume. I ended up with the Outdoor Research Helium which I used in the Navad1000 last year. Highly recommend it.

Was breathable. Slept in it over a rainy night without any issues. Has a mesh layer and a small pole to keep the mesh off your face.

In heavy rain I use the tent to change and do things inside. But if the weather is good the Helium is my choice.