ScotRoutes

Re: tent users, what do you use?

Post by ScotRoutes »

Summer - Lunar Solo
Winter - Tartptent Scarp 1
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

If I'm with wifey an Exped Mira III, if I'm by myself a Lunar Solo. I'd like to own a free standing one person tent although I've only had one situation where I couldn't pitch the Lunar Solo.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Zpacks Solplex. Small, light, waterproof, bugproof, expensive. Worth every penny. My only call on it, which is my own fault, is the blue CTF3 is a bugger for a stealth setup. I'll go with the olive next time.

Greetz

S.
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

On my own a Force 10 helium 200. Had it 4 years and its been great, light, small pack, fast to pitch/strike and small foot print. Good size for the bigger bear too :-bd

I have a myog trailstar, but need some BB poles for it for the bike.

With my wife or a friend an alpkit jaran 3 on the bike. Took the jaran 3 to Norway for 2 weeks with wife and son and was fine too. 1.9kg, lots of space for 2 with gear. Fits 3 full size mats in (just)with family but had space for bags at bottom. Only dislike is it's inner first pitching, but you get it done quickly with practise.

Also have a vango hurricane 300 for more family car camping and a big old canvas bell tent.
ootini

Post by ootini »

With the Mrs I use a Vango Ark 200. It's heavy but pitches quick and it's fine for our needs.

On my own, a Yellowstone Alpine p.o.s. It's mega cheap £25-30 I think, but also mega crap. It will be replaced soon.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

I've been using a Coleman Rigel x2 for the last few years. Very light and compact, but prone to plenty of condensation as it's single skin.

Just bought a wild country zephyros from here, which is heavier but taller, two layers and generally probably better for most uses I hope! The Rigel is great if you can leave the vent or door open but when it's rainy and you need to do it all up, it gets moist quickly.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Had a Lunar solo and found it a little small for multiday use, so got a
Eureka lone tree 3, lots of room etc, with no inner can fit bike in, plan to
Get a half inner and one of Stu's poles when I get round to it to lighten
Things up a bit. The Eureka is like a Wickiup but made of a heavier
Material ( Nigor own both brands), for summer use, a Rab bivi with
Go lite or ex mil tarp :-bd
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Sheltered /not windy: terra nova solar photon 2 (*)
Any other time: terra nova southern cross 1. Nice as 100% freestanding.

—-
(*) claims to be a two man tent, would have to be very good friends
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

This Nordisk looks cheap if thats what you're looking for ?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Nordisk-Tele ... Sw-09aHG6T
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

Summer use - Lunar Solo

Winter use - Lunar Solo

:|

If I had the money, I would like to buy a MLD duo mid in Cuben. You can then change the inners to winter or summer use. Nothing wrong with my Lunar Solo though.

I’ve even manage to sew two extra guy lines on the rear of the tent. Must say I’m pretty impressed with the end result as it could have gone so wrong. :o Seam sealed and not leaked yet. Made the Lunar Solo much better in higher winds.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Tony I/we only use tents, Alpkit, Six Moon Designs, Lightheart Gear, Force 10, Nordisk.

All good though dependant on specific weather, weight, space needs etc.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Finding tent that is sufficiently long to give enough headroom is tricky

I have a Wild Country Zephyros 2XL which is very roomy but a little heavy

I also have a tarptent scarp 1 but has yet to use it. I fit fine inside though, it’s roomy for 1 tall person based on a quick set up in the garden. A tarp is my standard set up, but a trailstar or supermid also works great if you’re tall
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Lots!

Current selection: Hilleberg Akto, Terra Nova Laser, Terra Nova Voyager XL, Wild Country Trister

Hilleberg: this is my main backpacker. It's mostly replaced my TN Laser now for all year round duties, particularly as the former is getting very tired now after a lot of abuse. Can run double poles for really bad weather if I feel the need to as well, but I'm yet to do so.

TN Laser: used to be my main backpacker, now mostly retired. It's seen many storms well outside it's designed use, and has the scars to show. It's last big job was when I cycled across Europe, and the weight (or there lack of) is one of its best features. Mines the version 1 (not the completion, I'm too tall for that one) so it's must have had a good 15 years of abuse now.

TN Voyager XL: my choice tent for longer trips where the car is handy. Good to have the room to spread out, and a very gerous Porth makes cooking easier in sub standard weather.

WC Trister: the voyager replaced this. It's basically just for festivals now/lending out.
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
Mike

Post by Mike »

As some above Im now using a lunar solo...unsealed. I got wet in the rain so will be sealing it in the spring and through the summer iv now gone back to my trusted tn laser comp, my got to shelter for winter. Was using variois bivvy bags but I just find em a bit of a pain saying that they do have a place at certain times
Trigs

Post by Trigs »

Luxe Hex peak. Little bit bulky with the inner, but i like having a big clean dry space. Enough room to sit up in, big enough for stove burning and all my gear in the porch.
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

My fiance and I use a Trekkertent Stealth 2. Works quite well. Its light (we have the lightest fabric) and packs down small. I use my 29er front wheel to hold the back up and one of the carbon poles from the bear bones shop for the front.

Decent amount of room for 2 inside and the inner is quite far from the outer. Forget both of you trying to get changed at once though.

Porch has enough room for dry bags from the bike and helmet shoes. We also backpack and we can just about get 2 70L rucksacks in the porch. However, getting out in the night can be a little awkward.

Condensation normally manageable if you don't pitch it too close to the ground (and I really hate condensation).

The outer does sag a little, especially in rain. I believe this is common to all SilNylon based fly sheets. Its not normally enough to be a problem though.

Seems very durable. We have used it for a couple of weeks of bike packing and 6 weeks of backpacking now. Still looks basically as good as new.

I also have the single person version (Stealth 1). This is same build quality and fine for one. However, I am probably selling it, as I don't really see the point seeing as I have the 2 person version too (its not that much lighter).

One thing to be aware of is that the inner is full mesh, so is a bit cooler. I was camping at 2500+metres in the Alps with it this summer, where the temp was dropping close to freezing each night (maybe below). It was really noticeable how much warmer my mate in his Terra Nova with full inner was.

Inside:
ImageInside the the TrekkerTent Stealth 2 by chrisp455, on Flickr

Pitched with a 29er wheel:
ImageStealth 2 pitched in Scotland by chrisp455, on Flickr

Stealth 1 camping in the Alps:
ImageMoody Alpine Camping by chrisp455, on Flickr
gairym

Post by gairym »

SMD 'Skyscape Scout' for me.

Perfectly suited to my requirements:

- Cheap-ish
- Light enough at a sniff under a kg
- Opens up fully to give views and breeze on clear nights (whilst still giving full beastie protection).
- Long/wide enough for me and my kit (I'm 6'2").
- High enough to sit up in.

I feel it gives the best of both worlds as it can be used as a fully closed tent or as an open and pleasant outer-only type setup - I'm constantly bemused as to why it's not one of the more popular models.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Have two that I've used with the bike.

Terra Nova Laser comp 1. Originally bought for mountain marathons it's light enough (900g) not to weigh down the bike. It's advertised as a 1+ person tent which basically means one person or two very close friends :lol: I'd only use it for two people if using CCF type sleeping mats as inflatable mats take up too much room and even with one person you don't have much space.

Vango Spirit 200+. Quite a bit bigger tent, plenty of room for two people and with a large vestibule. Not light at 3Kg but if you are just doing road or fire road type riding it's not a problem. It fits quite nicely in a Wildcat Lion handlebar harness.

Not sure what I'd go for if I was buying one today. For one person use the Lasercomp is fine, for two people there's quite a bit of choice and some seriously light tents https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... -tents-c26

Edit: one of the tents on that page rang a bell - the MSR Carbon Reflex, there's a review here http://bikepacker.com/msr-carbon-reflex ... ight-tent/ Looks to have plenty of room but with a full mesh inner it might be a bit cooler in spring/autumn.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm constantly bemused as to why it's not one of the more popular models.
Me too.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ton

Post by ton »

is this the new version of the scout?

https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... tent-p4144

it looks ideal if so. longest length internal of any tent i have seen
Moder-dye

Post by Moder-dye »

Looks good with sizes and weight , but an odd thing seems to be a partial single skin tent.

The review says sleep with head under the non-single skin end to avoid condensation. It might be a good idea to get the best or both single and double skin, or not as you also have the problem of packing a possibly wet outer with the inner fixed in.
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Lunar Solo when weather good. I too have added a couple of extra guys but not tested how much they help yet.
Hilleberg Enan ( lightweight Akto )
I also use the Enan with a groundsheet only rather than the full inner, saves weight, gains space, out of midge season only.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

is this the new version of the scout?
There's more than one version of the same thing Tony ... materials / weight change but the design remains the same.
May the bridges you burn light your way