Waterproofs

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Trail-rat

Waterproofs

Post by Trail-rat »

Folks my waterproofs need updating I'm using an endura 50 quid job that's been around the block a few times.... I bought it for 6 months touring back in 2008. Like wise my shorts are altura from 2004.....

, what waterproofs y'all using ?

I mean proper 3 layer pissing it down all day riding top layers. -mt500 looks like a contender or left field the bontrager lithos

Like wise waterproof shorts.... Do I go for something sort of soft shell like a Madison flux or just something of a waterproof shell like the endura ultralight (which look a bit tear-y)

If you were packing for a multi day adventure for a couple of weeks - which would you pack and why?

Ps I have a couple of the ultra packable light weight waterproof roadie jackets which hole great for a 3-4 hour blast I wouldn't want to rely on in the hills ......
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Waterproofs

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Recently bought a Columbia Outdry jacket. At first glance it appears quite plasticky but actually breaths well and is probably the most waterproof (especially over long periods of rain) jacket I've ever used. Very much in the 'hard shell' camp so might not suit everyone.
May the bridges you burn light your way
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

I'm with Stuart and was an early convert to the Columbia Outdry jacket.
Mine has been used a lot and is still fully waterproof as it doesn't have any water proofing to wash out.
TBH it goes in the shower with me when it's muddy so it's never been washed and it still looks like new into it's 3rd year.
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

how well does that pack down ? looks like the sort of sowester thing id wear offshore that doesnt pack down in the slightest ?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Doesn't really seem any bigger than any other hard shell jacket. Just kind of roll it up .
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

Another vote for the out dry.
Looks like a boil in the bag but the pit zips are a bonus. Kept me dry in horrendous conditions on the winter bivi.
Often pop up on sport pursuit for around £50
JohnClimber

Post by JohnClimber »

Trail-rat wrote:how well does that pack down ? looks like the sort of sowester thing id wear offshore that doesnt pack down in the slightest ?
There are smaller, but they wont keep you dry after 3 or 4 washes.
Hood goes over the helmet as well.
I'll have it with me at the Winter Event if you're at the Star on the Friday night or first thing on the Saturday morning
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

i shall not be , i dont fly back to the uk till the friday :(

Im looking at them , compared to bike jackets they dont seem all that pricy .... when you look at the price of either the mt500 or the bonty jacket i was looking at ....

might try and get a look at one in the flesh when i get home

just to check it would be the outdry EX goldtech shell ? or another ?
Laurensdad

Post by Laurensdad »

Mt500 is my go to jacket if I think I'll need a hood or Endura pro SL if no hood. The pro SL is the best waterproof I've ridden in since 1989 when the mtb bug bit!
@philg1971 Instagram
Adventurer

Post by Adventurer »

For the weather we are having at the moment I use a Paramo Velez Adventure Light Smock.

I find it very breathable, it’s like a waterproof wind proof. Find the material soft and comfortable and hood fits well under my helmet.

I will wear it just as a wind proof when not raining so two tops are not needed, I find this a good option for colder weather.

http://www.paramo-clothing.com/en-gb/ex ... 36975ED08B

However for summer riding I will take a very lightweight waterproof as I hope it won’t be used much.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

I'm thinking of getting the cyclo jacket at the mo, £85 on their extras site, I like Paramos
Sizing too being a larger chap....anybody got any thoughts on them ?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

just to check it would be the outdry EX goldtech shell ? or another ?
That's what mine is. My main reason for buying it was that I'd become sick of waterproofs that can't withstand continual / prolonged / multi-day weather ... this thing just shrugs it off after 10 minutes or 10 hours.

I think if I hadn't already seen / felt one in the flesh, I might have wondered what I'd bought when it first arrived but once you actually use it any misgivings soon disappear.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I've been looking at the OutDry jackets since I read this thread. They seem to tick all the boxes in my search for a bikepacking waterproof for the horrible West of Scotland weather conditions I usually ride in. I'm quite tempted by this one since it seems to have been designed for trail running and might be a bit lighter, any thoughts BB team? https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/me ... 11881.html
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't know what the difference is between the two but if it's the same material (it appears to be), it'll be smashing :-bd
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I don't know what the difference is between the two but if it's the same material (it appears to be), it'll be smashing :-bd
Thanks Stuart, yeah it looks like it'd be good. How was the sizing on the EX goldtech? Does it fit as expected for the chosen size?
rufus748

Post by rufus748 »

I usually wear a large in everything except cycling gear then have to go up a size or two as I don't have an Italian physique...
I actually bought a medium in the outdry. The large was too big in the body and I wanted a tighter cut to stop the flapping on the bike. I can still get a mid layer under it but wouldn't cope with a Down jacket if I still wanted it to loft.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

As Andy says, they're quite roomy. Mine's a medium but I probably could wear a small okay ... just wouldn't get as much under it on those proper nice days.
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

That pretty much tallies with what the sizing chart says then. I usually buy XL with this type of thing but according to the sizing chart L would be about right. Thanks for the advice gents, much appreciated. :-bd
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I look at these every now and then, but the looks put me off

Couple of questions
- what's arm length like? I really struggle with this, I need long arms
- how robust are they? can they cope with mud/grit being worn into it by a rucksack?

The only waterproof I have that would cope that hours or rain (and that I would be willing to wear on the bike) is a Paramo. Would be interested in something more packable
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I don't have gorilla arms Ben but I do find them pretty long - don't think you'd know for sure without trying one on though.

Too early for me to say about longevity but Mr Climber has had his a couple of years and says it still looks like new.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

Jurassic wrote:I've been looking at the OutDry jackets since I read this thread. They seem to tick all the boxes in my search for a bikepacking waterproof for the horrible West of Scotland weather conditions I usually ride in. I'm quite tempted by this one since it seems to have been designed for trail running and might be a bit lighter, any thoughts BB team? https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/me ... 11881.html
i bought this jacket and its great,stu recomended the columbia outdry jackets it does feel a bit plasticy but the fabric doesnt wet out it just beads off like water off a ducks back,packs up small in xxl size,i bought the outdry ex gold but seemed a bit heavy so sent it back
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

rufus748 wrote:I usually wear a large in everything except cycling gear then have to go up a size or two as I don't have an Italian physique...
I actually bought a medium in the outdry. The large was too big in the body and I wanted a tighter cut to stop the flapping on the bike. I can still get a mid layer under it but wouldn't cope with a Down jacket if I still wanted it to loft.
Just bought a medium based on this. :-bd

My trusty old Montane had finally reached the point where i was getting wetter from sweat than from rain.
jameso

Post by jameso »

If you were packing for a multi day adventure for a couple of weeks - which would you pack and why?
I'm in the 'warm when wet' camp, believing that Goretex lacks breathability and muddy durability for riding and preferring a less 'proof' but more breathable layer like a Gore Windstopper hardshell fabric. Wets through but only slowly. Then, the key bit - Primaloft. Layered right I can have a dry inner layer and a wet outer layer on my Primaloft layers. Works in a similar way to Paramo I guess, similar effect to my Buffalo jacket, a temp gradient (?) and moisture being pushed out by body heat. Goes over or under the hardshell. Has worked well enough for me in 6-8hrs of wet riding on road in cool to cold conditions and I'm not sure I could hack much more than that before getting properly cold anyway. I tend to take a gilet and a full jacket and layer up as needed or use at the bivi. It's got me down big passes in bad weather where windchill is the biggest issue, rather than the rain itself.

Looking at those Columbia jackets now though ..
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Ive got a Lowe Alpine goretex jacket that I goy used off ebay... the older goretex version if that makes sense. Does get slightly clammy byt nothing to write home about.

Bottoms.. my best ever were the ones that came before the Endura mt500... got for around 100 quid 10 year ago.were vaguely exciting until the missus put in a hot wash (for the second time after I'd asked her not to before... now i always wash most of my gear that needs it, by hand)...

Bottoms. Ahem. Let me starts again. So after them endura got shredded (possibly in anger by me :cry: to try and create a long term memory for her (not sure if she was even phased by it) I bought some millets walking breathable pants. Excrllent breathable and waterproof but very bagggy. Recent downpours I had got myself the army surplus goretex... lovely pants for around 20 from fleabay....

Hope that informs and inspires... :smile:
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Jurassic wrote:I've been looking at the OutDry jackets since I read this thread. They seem to tick all the boxes in my search for a bikepacking waterproof for the horrible West of Scotland weather conditions I usually ride in. I'm quite tempted by this one since it seems to have been designed for trail running and might be a bit lighter, any thoughts BB team? https://www.columbiasportswear.co.uk/me ... 11881.html
Is this the exact one Stu has got? I think I want one...