Cafe Racer GR are GO.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Cafe Racer GR are GO.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Quick question: where is the community center in relation to the school (as the school was used before) I cant find it on google maps. Is it part of the school or elsewhere?
One and the same Mike.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

I've got a route planned, (I think) the only iffy bit is the descent from the wind farm above Garn Fach to the cafe. Going through the windfarm to the south west looks like a decent track, but I might push on through Garn Fach, and then accross Hirddywel, but then I see one of the GRs is out to the east above David's Well...Stu must think there is something interesting down that route :wink:
And if I don't need to warm up in the morning, I can leave the cook pot at home and get breakfast and a coffee at the next shop/cafe. I can call it a "fasted ride" and pretend to myself it's part of a training regime, rather than just laziness.
Call it what you like Ed, but I'm taking breakfast, so you'll have to sit in your hammock for a bit longer while you wait for me to faff about and eat it.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The BW/track heading south from Little London as far as Blue Lin Brook was on the 2016 BB200 and from memory is OK, certainly not a death march. The track that runs along the foot of the western side of that line of hills is fine - it's a hard surface farm track but a little steep in places. I rode it in the other direction on the WRT a couple of years ago as far as Brynhafod. Don't know about the bit in-between.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
nedrapier

Post by nedrapier »

Fine, Paul. I'll probably have some whisky left. BigDummySteve's suggestion on the Boring Nylon thread has got me another half bottle.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

nedrapier wrote:Fine, Paul. I'll probably have some whisky left. BigDummySteve's suggestion on the Boring Nylon thread has got me another half bottle.
You’re welcome :-bd if you use an ultralight empty spring water bottle as flask that’s another two fingers worth :YMPARTY:
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

Mike wrote:Anyone else not have a route or idea where they r riding still :lol:
have no idea how to plan a route got any tips
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ideally get paper map(s) so you get a feel for where things are and where the grid-refs are. If you don't have those maps then you can copy and paste the grid-refs into the search dialog of streetmap.co.uk and it will display them but you have to zoom out as it assumes you want the highest magnification :roll: You'll then have to scroll around a bit trying make sense of it all - the refs are fairly logically laid out so if you wanted to visit them all it wouldn't be a convoluted route. Another site that can be useful, though the contributors are more interested in rusting farm machinery than what a bridleway looks like is geograph.org.uk. You can use something like bikehike, ridewithgps or strava to create a route, save it as a GPX file and download that to your GPS

I've plotted a potential route that visits all but one that comes to 115Km for the two days. Probably 60% roads/40% tracks and BWs. Depending on weather, state of tracks and time we may modify it as we go.
NorwayCalling

Post by NorwayCalling »

windjammer wrote:
Mike wrote:Anyone else not have a route or idea where they r riding still :lol:
have no idea how to plan a route got any tips
1. plot the grid references (all at the same time) using https://gridreferencefinder.com/ which will give you an idea or a "loop"- just remember you don't have to pass EVERY POINT. It also helps to have the map set to satellite view.

2. This loop can than be linked up using a mix of on road or off-road based routes using any LEGAL path. To do this use https://ridewithgps.com

3. With both of the websites open use ridewithgps to plot a route from the start at the community center, to the target cafe at SO 029 746. If you use just minor roads and avoid the A470 etc you will get a "out route" of around 45km. You can simply do this by clicking on the start and then scroll map to the cafe and click again - hey presto a "basic" route that you can then drag around to go off-road, hit more grid references. its as basic as that. However, the fun is making the route more interesting....

4. When happy with your route - save it to your GPS and you are done.
Sussex Paul

Post by Sussex Paul »

Thanks Whitestone, I did the 2016 BB200, so it’s the bit after the stream that’s the gamble...looks like it should go from the arial photos
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Anything open in Llangurig Sunday for scran?
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Anything open in Llangurig Sunday for scran?
Blue Bell should be open for dinner. http://www.bluebell-inn.co.uk/index.htm

Post office / shop might be open for a few hours in the morning but I'm not certain.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Mini-story: Many years ago I was doing Trans Cam and my timings put me near Llangurig on a Sunday morning with a potential supplies issue. I rang the PO before I set off and a very nice lady said she'd be shut and because I couldn't guarantee my exact arrival time she would be happy to put a bag on the step early in the morning! I duly requested some bits and bobs for the day. She didn't know the cost but said she'd write it on the bag and I could post payment through the letterbox. I found the whole idea quite touching and lovely and didn't mind if it came off or got nicked or whatever TBH. Of course it was there safe and sound :smile:. Overpaid some notes through the letterbox and off I went!

So, another example of those lovely mid-Wales people!

So back to Dave's question - there you go. The problem now is I can see the poor lady having to leave 50 little bags on her doorstep this Sunday morning :lol:
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Mike

Post by Mike »

I got stuff from the small shop on corner. And they have a coffee machine
RIP

Post by RIP »

Yeah that's the one I reckon.

But,er, ? :

Tuesday 7:30am–6pm
Wednesday 7:30am–6pm
Thursday 7:30am–6pm
Friday 7:30am–6pm
Saturday 8am–2pm
Sunday Closed
Monday 7:30am–6pm
Suggest an edit
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
nedrapier

Post by nedrapier »

Yes, RIP, I agree:

er.

Paul, I will be taking my stove. And breakfast. Poss. lunch.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Right, so we've ascertained that if we have any parcels to post it will be best to do so before heading out. Has anyone identified any pubs that will actually be open? The Blue Bell Inn at Llangurig will apparently be serving food between 12:00 and 21:00 on Saturday but I could probably do with something a bit further north of the Glyndwr's Way Cafe really. Unless I reverse my route of course.... Getting a bit excited now!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Llanidloes is usually pretty lively of a Saturady evening ... often populated by girls in short skirts / small dresses.
mechanicaldope

Post by mechanicaldope »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Llanidloes is usually pretty lively of a Saturady evening ... often populated by girls in short skirts / small dresses.
Presumably their idea of a good time is almost certainly going to be sweaty, muddy bikers inviting them to share their even muddier ditch they plan on sleeping in?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Llanidloes is usually pretty lively of a Saturady evening ... often populated by girls in short skirts / small dresses.
Aye, they're a rum bunch, the one I met during the 2016 BB200 hadn't shaved her legs or her face :shock: :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Sexy time! :lol:
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

:-bd may have re-plot the route :YMPARTY:

ImageUntitled by steve norris, on Flickr
Last edited by BigdummySteve on Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

Are there any groups open to another member? I've had software problems trying to plan a route. It doesn't look like I'll have one ready in time.

I'm booked in at the Star Inn on Friday night.
Mike

Post by Mike »

:-bd do what I'm doing and just turn up and ride with who ever
MarkW

Post by MarkW »

I hope to. Would be nice to have a route for my Garmin though
Matt

Post by Matt »

Mike wrote::-bd do what I'm doing and just turn up and ride with who ever
Apart from your supposed top be riding with me and Taylor... We're on road bikes based on you :lol: