Another LEJoG thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

jameso

Another LEJoG thread

Post by jameso »

.. getting like the CTC board here isn't it.. :grin:

Thinking about long road rides, limited ride holiday time next year and possibly having cracked my road riding comfort issues - and reading the reply on the other lejog route Q - is there a recognised 'classic' route that uses the nicest areas and quiet roads rather than something derived from some TT record needs? Happy to figure out my own but there's some appeal in doing an established route.

Maybe I should get a CTC forum password reminder :lol:
Dave Barter

Re: Another LEJoG thread

Post by Dave Barter »

I have done most of this twice if that is established enough for you

http://phased.co.uk/the-greatest-lejog-route-ever/
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

jameso wrote:.. getting like the CTC board here isn't it.. :grin:

Thinking about long road rides, limited ride holiday time next year and possibly having cracked my road riding comfort issues - and reading the reply on the other lejog route Q - is there a recognised 'classic' route that uses the nicest areas and quiet roads rather than something derived from some TT record needs? Happy to figure out my own but there's some appeal in doing an established route.

Maybe I should get a CTC forum password reminder :lol:
Road??? :shock:
Gravel bike required for many sections of my route, though still need to maintain a good daily average distance.

Google for the "ride across Britain" route, that will likely be 100% road.

As part of my research on routes gathered together many Le Jog GPX's; whilst there are many common sections there are still many different routes.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Gravel's good, my road bike is on 650x47s. Was thinking ~6 days so not too much off-road unless the routing justifies it.

I need to read your book don't I Dave. Will have a look at that route, thanks. 12 days into 6 though ...
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

6 days is a challenge if you want to maximise the riding experience. Anything under 900 miles will likely include a lot of dire sections.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

jameso wrote:Gravel's good, my road bike is on 650x47s. Was thinking ~6 days so not too much off-road unless the routing justifies it.

I need to read your book don't I Dave. Will have a look at that route, thanks. 12 days into 6 though ...
Ah, my route is 1,807km over 13 riding days.
A bikepacker on tour. :-bd will try to be TLS, though tempted to take an iPad. :geek:
Tried to keep each day fairly short as the gravel sections will likely slow me down.

Will be using Conti GatorHardShell
700x32; have the 23mm version on my commute bike and they have proven very good tyres, though being slick could be interesting if the trails are muddy. :o
jameso

Post by jameso »

Would rather add a day or some miles than end up on the average UK roads. This would be about seeing the quieter areas, otherwise I could just ride south to the ferry, head for the Ardennes and back.
Conti GatorHardShell 700x32;
On 'UK Gravel'? Bold : )
danielgroves

Post by danielgroves »

Why stick to the most common of recognised route? Get out there and make something fun up... I went via the outer hebredies as well as many other palaces that aren't on route...

https://danielgroves.net/adventures-pho ... 4/11/JOGLE

https://danielgroves.net/adventures-pho ... 12/JOGLE-2
Adventures and Photography Blog: danielgroves.net/adventures-photography
Twitter: @danielsgroves
Instagram: @danielsgroves
Photography on Facebook: facebook.com/danielgrovesphotography
Photography on Instagram: @danielgrovesphotography
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

jameso wrote:
Conti GatorHardShell 700x32;
On 'UK Gravel'? Bold : )
As mentioned, the 23mm version on my commute bike has been excellent. Seldom get punctures.
Fitted one of the tyres to the new front wheel. Looks pretty damn good.

When I say gravel it is only disused railway tracks, canal paths, and forest access roads, so nothing too arduous, but certainly not road bike terrain.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

danielgroves wrote:Why stick to the most common of recognised route? Get out there and make something fun up... I went via the outer hebredies as well as many other palaces that aren't on route...

thanks for that.

my route is going for a wander round Scotland, following a visit to the lakes.
might even be able to visit a couple of bothies in Scotland.
should be quite an adventure
Last edited by Asposium on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The midge thing is completely over-blown.

The most popular time of year for LEJOG is late-May to end of June and then September. That's the driest period, avoids the busiest holiday period and June has the most daylight. However there are folk doing it all year (Jenny Graham is doing it over 4 days next week) and it's busy enough for our transport services from end-March to end-October
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Sat Dec 23, 2017 9:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

If you want to use the Great Glen then the Great Glen Way should be fine. The Ft William to Ft Augustus section would be fine on 32c tyres, Colin should be able to comment on the section north of there.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

The old git in the yellow socks
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

The GGW north of Fort Augustus is normally the preserve of mountain bikes. That's not to say it can't be done on skinnier tyres, but it'll certainly be less pleasant. FW to FA is ok on 28mm Marathons. If our hire customers are doing the GGW then it's always on MTBs.

The GGW does have the advantages of passing close to Urquhart Castle and the wonderfully eccentric Abriachan Eco-cafe. On the South side of the loch there is NCN78 on quieter roads but also the South Loch Ness Trail(some of which would be great for a cx/gravel bike), the Dores Inn and the Struie viewpoint.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

And you might want to check out https://www.rideacrossbritain.com, just so you can avoid it.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

numplumz wrote:how about the hardcore version :???:

http://www.lejoghardcore.co.uk/lejog-ha ... he-stages/
Rest days??? <spits contemptuously on floor>
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

ScotRoutes wrote:The GGW north of Fort Augustus is normally the preserve of mountain bikes. That's not to say it can't be done on skinnier tyres, but it'll certainly be less pleasant. FW to FA is ok on 28mm Marathons. If our hire customers are doing the GGW then it's always on MTBs.

The GGW does have the advantages of passing close to Urquhart Castle and the wonderfully eccentric Abriachan Eco-cafe. On the South side of the loch there is NCN78 on quieter roads but also the South Loch Ness Trail(some of which would be great for a cx/gravel bike), the Dores Inn and the Struie viewpoint.
I hadn't spotted the Great Glen Way (GGW), was looking at the B862 on the other side of the Loch Ness.

Is the GGW between FA and Inverness not simply a forest fire road as the map might suggest?
jameso

Post by jameso »

Asposium wrote:my route is going for a wander round Scotland, following a visit to the lakes.
might even be able to visit a couple of bothies in Scotland.
should be quite an adventure
Sounds good, bit of light off-road to mix it up, ideal.
danielgroves wrote:Why stick to the most common of recognised route? Get out there and make something fun up... I went via the outer hebredies as well as many other palaces that aren't on route...

Will have a look at those, ta. I'm happy making up my own routes and not really after the most common, just interested in what others have found to be picturesque routes. Looking for a 'climber's line' sort of route I suppose, an elegant and logical line bottom to top, no need to be fastest or direct though. Will look at a few routes for ideas and go from there. An excuse for map research as much as anything :-bd
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Any of you guys have a GPX for the GGW?
The ones I found on the internet aren’t particularly detailed.
Having the GGW as an alternative route might be interesting if I am running ahead of schedule.

Found a fantastic place to stay in the Northern Highlands ...the Crask Inn.
Cooked evening meal, camping by donation, use of toilets, will charge USB battery packs, and 4G on Vodafone (by the look of it sod all on EE).

Do remote post offices still permit packages to be posted ahead? Know it was possible years ago.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I can provide a GPX of the GGW but it's really not necessary - there are signposts all the way along.

The Crask Inn is legendary. There were concerns last year as the previous owner was standing down due to his wifes health but the new owners (a church!!!) are keeping up the good standards and doing a bit of much-required renovation too.

In the same general area there's a lovely wee camp site just outside Lairg. It's very small but the owners have a BBQ under a covered area that you are free to use and can also do evening meals and breakfasts by appointment. They are super-friendly and I can't recommend them highly enough.

Edit: a link would have been handy, eh?

https://www.pondside.co.uk/
Last edited by ScotRoutes on Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

ScotRoutes wrote:The Crask Inn is legendary. There were concerns last year as the previous owner was standing down due to his wifes health but the new owners (a church!!!) are keeping up the good standards and doing a bit of much-required renovation too.
I do consider continuing to Achnanclach bothy.
See how I feel on the day.
Crask Inn would be the last night.