Two Zero One Eight plans . . .

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Alpinum

Re: Two Zero One Eight plans . . .

Post by Alpinum »

gairym wrote:
Alpinum wrote:Take more friends out bikepacking/hiking/skitouring/whateveroutdoors.
I just updated my plans to include a weekend of fatbikepacking sometime in March (very lightly penciled in) so let's chat more about if, what, where and when.....
Ja man :-bd
FLV

Post by FLV »

1. Contine my slow return to cycling.
I'm enjoying it and would like to continue to build on a start I've made.

2. Regain some level of fitness and general health

That's about it really.

Basically just riding bikes
Mike

Post by Mike »

:| I have no plans at all
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have no plans at all
Rejoice in the freedom fella ... that's you and me both :-bd

I had thought I might try and see 2018 in with a good start but I can't see that happening given I've likely got another 3 weeks of treacle like fatigue to crawl through.
May the bridges you burn light your way
bearlymoving

Post by bearlymoving »

Apart from making it to the start of the winter event, I'm only planning on the Dirty Reiver so far. Other than that, I intend to have a lot of nice days/weekends out on the bike.

I'd also like to spend less time wielding spanners and more time riding, which suggests I should aim to flog a bike or two.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Ride more....full stop....got a new build hardly ridden, going to attempt a few bivis too,
Although (another) new job makes it difficult, wifey working nights at weekends should
Make it easier though :cool:
slarge

Post by slarge »

I'm torn between having a big mileage year, or a structured training plan year. Not sure what to train for though, have enjoyed the cyclocross races this autumn, but they are not really long enough.

Rides on the list:
Big Bear 530
Borders 350
BB200
If Stu's race at the end of March comes off I'll try to do that
Hell of the North Cotswolds (incl riding to the start and back to make it a 200km day)
Couple of local sportives
Might try the Midlands XC race series but they always conflict with other events

And I still need to get the other half out for a bivvy on a warm summers evening. That will be the 1 night then!!

And a triathlon if time permits.....

Plus some mods to the front of the house, painting and fitting window frames that have been sat in the garage for a year, plus lots of time away in the van (already booked the steam train ride in the Highlands in May)
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Our campervan might feature large this year. As my wife is happy to drive it I'll be planning various bike routes where she can meet up with me at the end of the day.

BAM 2018 seems to be on the cards following 2017s success and I will be dragging other folk with me.

WHW, island hopping, Cairngorms Loop - all carried forward from previous years.

Mostly though I see it as prep for 2019 when I'm likely to properly retire and so have more free time for longer trips.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've only got 2 things on my list so far,

HT550 - which is the furthest away event in the UK from where I live and also the riding is one of the longest distance and duration.

SSUK - which is the closest event to my house at 10 minutes walk away :smile: the riding is also likely to be the shortest length and duration.

I'll have to come up with something else to do that falls between them. I'll also be doing quite alot of riding between now and May as training. I've never been to SSUK but I think I'll have to do quite alot of drinking beforehand as training :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
firestarter

Post by firestarter »

To be fair, I’d just be happy if it turns out to be less sub standard than this year was.

I really need to pull my head out of my arse and get out there and remember how much I love being out.

We’ll see. :oops:
Hopefully my hip is now fixed and fingers crossed (not literally) I don't need surgery on my hand, I'll be able to hold the bars and then ride pain free so give me a shout when you want a ride mate :-bd
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

As someone said up there ^ - work less, ride more.
numplumz

Post by numplumz »

Quit work in March and become a cycling hobo.
Very limited budget will mean riding everywhere and as much wild camping as possible, can't wait. :grin:
The old git in the yellow socks
Teetosugars

Post by Teetosugars »

firestarter wrote:
To be fair, I’d just be happy if it turns out to be less sub standard than this year was.

I really need to pull my head out of my arse and get out there and remember how much I love being out.

We’ll see. :oops:
Hopefully my hip is now fixed and fingers crossed (not literally) I don't need surgery on my hand, I'll be able to hold the bars and then ride pain free so give me a shout when you want a ride mate :-bd
Anytime Mick, anytime.
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

Pirahna wrote:I've applied to be one of the pioneer riders on the Wild West route.

https://www.bikepackingroots.org/wild-west-route.html
Seems I've been accepted. :grin:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I had loads of plans for this year. But I’ve cancelled them all. I can’t be arsed tbh.

Have pushed myself hard over the last three years. Going to have a year of doing what ever I want.

So now this...
Mike wrote::| I have no plans at all

The plan is thereis no plan
Loki

Post by Loki »

A few goals this year, I try not to have too many.
1. Get my weight under control
2. Cycle more often, reach my mileage goal
3. Bivvy at least once a month every month
4. Do a 2-3 day ride, looking at Plymouth to Minehead off-road route
5. Go to the Adventure Cycling Festival in September.
Simon K
There is only one God.......GODZILLA! And he rides a fat bike.
Fat cyclist, fat bike rider, bike packer, photographer, coffee junkie. Brain tumour survivor.

https://www.instagram.com/beardythebikepacker/
https://beardythebikepacker.blogspot.com
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

voodoo_simon wrote:Go on then, what are your 2018 plans?

Nice and simple for me
-TINAT 300 slow riders group in June
-Ride more, which should be easier now I've changed jobs and not working 6 days/week either :-bd

and most importantly, enjoy life and be content with myself (see above job change)
Half way there, so how is everyone doing?

TINAT didn’t happen for one reason or another, but I did do an unmapped, follow my nose 130KM off-road ride that day as an ode :-bd Even involved getting lost and double backing on myself (lots) and some stupidly long hike-a-fuckin-bike section :lol:

Ride more - boxes ticked and to add, I’ve spent way more time in the mountains/hills than I’ve ever done in my life since leaving uni :-bd

2018 has been kind to me in terms of lifestyle
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

The last three years I’ve done over 10,000km each year. This year my targets have been different. For each month I’m aiming to do:

1. A metric century
2. A bivvy
3. The Strava monthly climbing challenge

On target so far
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Not too bad...

Rode at home...check.
Rode in Wales...check.
Rode overseas...check.
Got sunburnt/heatstroked...check.
Got otherwise injured from not conditioning enough...check.
Bivvied somewhere cheeky where I maybe shouldn't have...check.
Entered TNR...check.
On track for BAM complete...check.

Happy days.

Greetz

S.
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Going well so far, wrist seems to be fixed. Winter event done, WRT done, job situation sorted.
One thing going well is BAM, I’ve managed to get out for some longer trips to different places rather than last minute local ones mainly. Off to wales for the third time this year on Friday :-bd
So far so good
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
jameso

Post by jameso »

Didn't really get round to these 2 ride ideas last year - a series of time-limited audax style rides of 200,300,400 and 600km. Mixed terrain, hilly, self-regulated. Plan a 3-4 day ride into Wales based on JackT's Lost Lanes Wales book. Wales is one of my favourite places in the world these days, always was, just takes perspective to realise it.
So I've done the audaxes, though not quite in the style I had in mind. Technically I've done a sort of SR series this year but the 300 and 400s were solo road rides following existing local-ish audax routes (the 3 Down and the LWL/7 Across) plus riding to the starts for +40-50km.

The Wales trip - coming up soon. Did the TINAT 600, that went pretty well for me, rode straight through w/o sleep* at a comfortable pace and that sort of itched the itch for Wales for a while but I'm keen to find a few hills there that aren't >18% average : )

*Great experience but I doubt I'll do that again. <1hr kip at 3am would have let me ride the next morning at a better pace. Probably spend 45 mins or more getting coffee late and into the early hours so fairly time-neutral.