Mini tools

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Taylor

Mini tools

Post by Taylor »

Having got my gravel bike a couple of months ago I'm now finding I'm having to remember to swap my only mini tool over.
What is everybody recommending with chain tools included.
RIP

Re: Mini tools

Post by RIP »

I like my Birzman 20: https://www.westbrookcycles.co.uk/birzm ... ol-p317557. Bit hefty at 165g though and people would argue that separate tools are lighter. Got a bottle opener though which is the main thing - when things break or go pear-shaped the first job is to sit down and have a morale-boosting snifter. When I stash it into my seatpack I always get a bit depressed about the weight, then I cheer up when I see/feel what a lovely bit of workmanship it is.

Got an old-faithful Alien II as well of course.
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Topeak mini in one giuse or another for me.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

On ones leyzyne copy.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Oh bum, that Topeak's 15g lighter isn't it. And 40% off at wiggle! I must resist, I must resist.....
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

techno

Post by techno »

Topeak Hexus 2.
Lasts for years, chain tool really good, stands up to and applies plenty of torque when required. Tyre levers are rhubarb though so will possibly replace mine with a Topeak mini when I have to.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Toppeak mini 20 pro.

Superb little bugger. I love it.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Another Hexus 2 user. 3 years old...hasn't let me down yet. Unlike TM, I don't have a problem with the levers.

Greetz

S.
Mike

Post by Mike »

Yeah as above just hot the hexus 2 it's fab
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Mini tool an obvious, but do others also pack compact pliers?
Can't get the locking off the tubeless valve to put a replacement tube in without one. Or get the presta valve core out to add a shot of sealant in case of a less severe tyre mishap. :geek:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

padonbike wrote:Mini tool an obvious, but do others also pack compact pliers?
Can't get the locking off the tubeless valve to put a replacement tube in without one. Or get the presta valve core out to add a shot of sealant in case of a less severe tyre mishap. :geek:
In addition to the above cases, the pistons in Hope brakes need to be squeezed back in rather than pushed with a tyre lever. Needle nosed pliers are also useful for pulling sharps out of tyres.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I carry a mini sized leatherman, I think it's a juice. It's got some small pliers on it I need to get the little clips on the end of my brake pad pins off. It's also got a small knife blade. I always have it in my bivi bag at night as well. I've sewn in a midge net but the zip seems a bit sticky at times and I have visions that it will jamb and I'll be trapped inside, so I keep it on me in case I have to cut my way out :lol:

Edit. It might be a leatherman squirt, it's the tiny one.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

padonbike wrote:Mini tool an obvious, but do others also pack compact pliers?
Not exactly compact, but I carry a Skeletool to complement the Hexus 2.

Greetz

S.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

Re pliers
Next time you are passing a fishing tackle shop go in and have a look at the pliers and side cutters that anglers use.
Tiny stainless steel side cutters snub nose and needle nose pliers circa 20 grams.
I find side cutters essential as the only way of getting zip ties off if I need to.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

I think that most of the chain tools on the multitools are woeful.
I would say you are better off getting a decent one without the chain bit and carrying a Park Tool CT-5 seperately, weighs not much, and actually works without having to rebuild the multitool.
I also carry a leatherman wave buried deep somewhere as the pliers are useful, but that is probably a bit much if I am honest, and it hardly gets used, thing is with any tool, as soon as you decide you don't need to carry it, is when you need it most!
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

[quote] [Re pliers
Next time you are passing a fishing tackle shop go in and have a look at the pliers and side cutters that anglers use.
Tiny stainless steel side cutters snub nose and needle nose pliers circa 20 grams. quote]
I like that tip, I'll check it out.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Crank Brothers M19 here

Plus a Leatherman Skeletool. So far it's about the right balance of tools and weight. I have a long list to choose from - the proper LM Mini (now sadly discontinued), Juice, Squirt, Wave etc, plus Gerber and Victorinox offerings
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Just bought a hexus 2.
Thanks all.
padonbike

Post by padonbike »

Just bought a hexus 2.
Thanks all.
Just bought a nexus 6. Not expecting it to last more than 4 years though.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I've a few - I'm quite forgetful at times so there's almost one per bike! :oops: . Can't remember what most are but I've the Hexus 2 which I got as a leaving present from a job about ten years ago. I've probably used it more times at home when I can't be arsed to go and get the workshop tools than out on the trail :o

Not really a mini-tool but there's a thread on STW about the TyreKey https://www.tyrekey.com/ which looks more road oriented but an interesting concept.
RIP

Post by RIP »

Just weighed my workshop out of interest. Multitool 167g (incls can/bottle opener and megasharp knife & chainbreaker which does work), Boardman tinypump 85 (takes ages but gets you home), ducttape 22, chain wire hand thing 3, mech hanger 14, pliers 45, patches/levers/boot 20, zipties 5 = 361g. Pleasantly surprised how light the steel pliers were, but can't see how I can get the weight down any further, short of just carrying a knackered bike to "the menders".

Oh, and a Conti Supersonic tube of course, at 100g.
Last edited by RIP on Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

padonbike wrote:
Just bought a hexus 2.
Thanks all.
Just bought a nexus 6. Not expecting it to last more than 4 years though.
I'm still using my 1st gen Nexus 5 :-bd

(ok, I've re-flashed it once, and about to do so again, but it still works acceptably and is better than a few peoples who have far newer devices and replace them more regularly) :ugeek:

p.s. I also have a Topeak hexus 2, top tip, you can use a tie wrap or insulating tape to tape your quick link onto the side of the chain tool bit.
p.p.s. I also have a leatherman skeletool - which I'll bring with me depending on my mood. Pliers are the most under-rated tools ever, and it pays to have a decent set (both in your workshop setup and your portable setup) - sub standard pliers are a bit worthless.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

RIP wrote:Just weighed my workshop out of interest. Multitool 167g (incls can/bottle opener and megasharp knife & chainbreaker which does work), Boardman tinypump 85 (takes ages but gets you home), ducttape 22, chain wire hand thing 3, mech hanger 14, pliers 45, patches/levers/boot 20, zipties 5 = 361g. Pleasantly surprised how light the steel pliers were, but can't see how I can get the weight down any further, short of just carrying a knackered bike to "the menders".
Bits of metal are heavy shocker :wink:

More seriously, trail tools are much like insurance policies: a burden until you need them. 360g isn't bad really, mine's not much different, probably a heavier pump (mini-Morph). I suppose the mech hanger is technically a spare part rather than a tool. So long as what you take is capable of fixing what you are likely to be able to handle trail-side then it is what it is.
PaulE

Post by PaulE »

Pedros tulio user here - mini tool built into the rear axle qr. Never had to use it for anything serious, but give for little jobs. A bit more fiddly than getting one or of a bag, but saves space. Might pick up some of those tiny pliers though, sounds handy.
Also carry a little pump and/or CO2, a tube or 2 and some sticky patches.
Dovebiker

Post by Dovebiker »

Lezyne SV-10 or SV-11 - tiny and yet having used the chain tool to repair a mate's chain. I sometimes carry a Leatherman Squirt which has pliers, blade etc. I have a Topeak Hexus - it weighs more than the others combines and is a rusty lump.