Chalke Way anyone?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Chalke Way anyone?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I was looking at the 'Chalke Way' that runs from Weymouth to Holme-next-the-sea in Norfolk and wondered whether anyone had ridden it. A recent yet brief exploration of the Ridgeway was sparked my interest :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
sean_iow

Re: Chalke Way anyone?

Post by sean_iow »

I think I rode a section of it when I did my Cerne Abas trip earlier in the year. This quote from Dyffers (who's local to it) on seeing my pictures should give some idea of that bit.

"Your fourth picture (and possibly the fifth one too) looks like classic Wessex Ridgeway, passable for about 2 weeks a year in early May when the chalk/clay clag briefly dries out but the nettles haven't yet had chance to grow together." :lol:

There's a write up in the 'trips' section if you've not seen the pictures.

I have got the book and have thought about riding it though, but my experience of 'bridleways' down that end of the route means I'd try and time a trip taking the above advice into account.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Mike

Post by Mike »

Same here fella. When myself and AW rode the ridgeway a few yrs ago it also sparked that interest. Iv since bought the guide book and we ride the last section of it along the pedders way earlier this yr and iv tried the start of it on wessex ridgeway....This section was shockingly unridabLe when I tried. Would be a great run straight through.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I remember you saying you had the book - is it woth buying?

From what both Sean and you say, you'd want to pick a decent weather window.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Scud

Post by Scud »

The final stretch into Norfolk is the Ickfield Way that becomes Peddars Way, easy nice riding with some great Norfolk scenery and some great bivvy spots near Wells / Holkham area of Norfolk, i live next to Peddars and use it a lot as a way to ride completely off road to coast.

if you do ride it let me know and ill come ride final sections with you and supply beer/ pies

I did not know if was part of a longer Chalke Way though.
Gummikuh

Post by Gummikuh »

I did the Icknield way bit last year, and it was good in parts, but a lot of it is footpath and other sections were just impassable, with brambles and nettles, my legs and arms looked like I was self harming. I believe the Peddars way has a lot of footpath sections. Plenty of bivvy spots though.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:I remember you saying you had the book - is it woth buying?

From what both Sean and you say, you'd want to pick a decent weather window.
The book is ok, I've not finished it as I think it's written as a guide so you would read it as you go along. As for weather, you told me before the BB200 that 'mud is a southern thing' and you're not wrong there, so for that end good weather would be an advantage but with the ground being heavy clay in places it might take a while to dry out after rain, but everyone loves a good push? :wink: The northern end sounds much better going.

I did try to start mapping the route but it was slow going. The directions are written with the things you'd see as you go along and the maps are hand drawn sketches. These are probably easy to follow on the ground but no so easy in my digital mapping software. I was having to use google earth and then switch back to my mapping software to try and draw the line. I only got about as far as day 2 in the book. If anyone has or produces a gpx for the entire route I'd be very interested.

A google shows there was renewed interest in the route

http://www.brickbats.co.uk/map-of-chalke-way-route/

This was 2013. It might be worth contacting the author to see how far he got with this and if there is a digital version of the route.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

sean_iow wrote:If anyone has or produces a gpx for the entire route I'd be very interested.
I've got a route from Plymouth to my house in Hertfordshire (I'm very close to Stansted airport). :smile: It would be a fairly simple matter to modify it adding the Icknield Way and then Peddars Way. The route needs a bit of modifying around Plymouth and I've only ridden it as far as the North Devon coast (I ran out of time). I've ridden the Peddars Way and regularly use bits of the Icknield Way as it's very close to home.
Mike

Post by Mike »

I got the book for £1.30 off amazon so yeah its worth it ;)
Peddars way was really enjoyable and there's a great camp spot on the shore near end...like others say there were some footpath sections but we rode most fine a few we cut out and used lanes. Oh and I didn't realise Norfolk was so pretty :-bd
Scud

Post by Scud »

Oh and I didn't realise Norfolk was so pretty
I live near Castleacre on Peddars Way, one thing we have here in Norfolk is ancient pathways!

I am not a native, i married a Norfolk girl and couldn't keep her away, when we first moved up this way i did think i was going to hate it and that it would too flat, but Breckland is actually quite rolling, loads of bridleways and paths and we have some beautiful beaches here, so whilst i miss proper trail riding, it has evolved in to mostly riding SS CX bike on roads and bridleways and fat bike along the coast and isn't bad.

If anyone's ever passing Norfolk way and wants showing around let me know, i also host an annual fat bike weekend on the coast too.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

I'm just across the way on the Suffolk Coast. Wouldn't mind tagging along if you'd have me and also a Fatty owner. :-bd
Scud

Post by Scud »

I'm just across the way on the Suffolk Coast. Wouldn't mind tagging along if you'd have me and also a Fatty owner.
Definitely, keep any eye on the UK Fat bike club FB page as there will be a summer fat bike weekend, based somewhere around the Wells/ Holkham area. Or drop me an email anytime if you're up for a ride pauljwhitock at gmail . com
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Also interested in this. The top half passes not a million miles away from me

Still haven't done the Ridgeway but the Icknield Way and bit towards Norfolk interests me
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

The Chalke Way is one of my faves. First did it about
20 yrs ago following the book. Did it again last summer modifying the route to do as much off road as poss but B&Bd it. Quite fancy it again in 2018 but the full camping
benp1

Post by benp1 »

mtbmarkymark wrote:The Chalke Way is one of my faves. First did it about
20 yrs ago following the book. Did it again last summer modifying the route to do as much off road as poss but B&Bd it. Quite fancy it again in 2018 but the full camping

Got any more details? How long did it take? What was the mileage/effort like? Where there many places to bivvy?
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

40-50 miles per day., approx 1000m of climbing per day over 7 days, we stopped near Cambridge as thats where my mates from but figure another 2 days to the coast depending on the Route. We tried to do as much off road as possible so a far from straight route
hanuman

Post by hanuman »

Really enjoyed riding the peddars way. Hoping to go back and finish the ickneild way and the ridgeway in a few weeks. Keen to see a gpx of the whole route if anyone has one
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I've just come down from a night ride on the Ridgeway....maybe give it a few more weeks, or take a fat bike
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

hanuman wrote:Really enjoyed riding the peddars way. Hoping to go back and finish the ickneild way and the ridgeway in a few weeks. Keen to see a gpx of the whole route if anyone has one
If you join the Peddars Way to the Icknield Way you can joint that to the Ridgeway. With a bit of research you can join the Ridgeway to a ride into the Quantocks and north Devon and down to Plymouth. I've got this route sort of plotted out but haven't ridden it, only the eastern and southern bits which need a bit of work.
hanuman

Post by hanuman »

Pirahna wrote:
hanuman wrote:Really enjoyed riding the peddars way. Hoping to go back and finish the ickneild way and the ridgeway in a few weeks. Keen to see a gpx of the whole route if anyone has one
If you join the Peddars Way to the Icknield Way you can joint that to the Ridgeway. With a bit of research you can join the Ridgeway to a ride into the Quantocks and north Devon and down to Plymouth. I've got this route sort of plotted out but haven't ridden it, only the eastern and southern bits which need a bit of work.
Bailed on the Ickneild last summer at Cambridge because it was pissing it down. Reckon I can nip back in a few weeks and get the section between there and Tring done in a day ride.
Dave Barter wrote:I've just come down from a night ride on the Ridgeway....maybe give it a few more weeks, or take a fat bike
Haha. Yep. Definitely leaving that bit until its drier. Ploughing through bb deep mud on 26" is no fun.