Glove 'system' advice sought

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

mtbmarkymark

Glove 'system' advice sought

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Hi everyone
i never seem to get my wet weather / cold weather gloves right but i'm hoping one of you has
I often wear a full thin full finger glove such as Endura's singletrack when riding
what i want is a glove cover ( as thin / light as possible) than i can put over the top to make them waterproof / warmer.
Then when the rain stops again i take just the covers off revealing the Endura singletracks again
The closest i have come is extremities tuffbags which i often use when walking but you can't grip the bars well in their mitten design
I would also like a design with a slim velcro cuff so that i can put them inside the arms of my waterproof to stop them filling with water
Cheers
ianfitz

Re: Glove 'system' advice sought

Post by ianfitz »

I’m still looking too! I use a similar system but use xl mitts desire having size small hands. Does give a bit more space but not ideal.

I’ve pre ordered some really quite expensive waterproof gloves made out of scholler fabric, which I’ve had before as a jacket, so hope it’s the answer.

Will post on here when I find out...

Edit - these ones https://www.dissent133.com/collections/ ... ket-gloves
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

I was in Screwfix the other day and while waiting was looking at a display of work gloves.
One was marked as thermal and waterproof and less than a tenner.
My order arrived then so didn't follow it up but might be worth some research on work gloves.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

I have a pair of these and I know Stu has too.
They've been great when I've got my cloth gloves wet and the temp has dropped.

https://www.outdoorgear.co.uk/Extremiti ... DIQAvD_BwE
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have a pair of those for walking, hadn't considered them for biking
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Montane minimus mitt is another option, pack down tiny. Fully waterproof.

They are a mitt though so less control. I found it fine on shimano shifter as you can thumbshift down as well as up now.
jameso

Post by jameso »

If only Buffalo made a lobster / trigger finger mitt..
I bought some winter army surplus trigger finger gloves, pile lined heavy cotton. Wax proofed them. Great for truly crap weather but a bit ott generally.
RIP

Post by RIP »

The tuffbags are indeed excellent and I sometimes wear them 'commando' (no undergloves). However I'd appreciate someone posting a video of donning them in one go including successfully tucking them both into your coat sleeves without a/ putting the coat on after the mitts (and ergo taking your coat off first if it's already on), b/ having external assistance (presumably from someone not wearing tuffbags or an interesting Catch22 ensues), or c/ trick photography.

R
"My God, Ponsonby, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

The sign outside the asylum is the wrong way round.....

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
slarge

Post by slarge »

Depends how hardwearing a glove you want. I take a few of those plastic gloves you can use when refuelling your car. Light, free, waterproof, but not durable, and the grip level is bordering suicidal (ok for the road though). Fine for those times when the temperature drops, and the thin gloves that have been fine all day just don't cut it.

I use plastic bags in my shoes as well.
jamiep

Post by jamiep »

Ordered the dissent 133 'system' too. Late December before they'll arrive though
ctznsmith

Post by ctznsmith »

I use Army surplus trigger finger mitts. I glued bits of the finger material from an old set of gloves to the trigger finger to give more grip on the brake lever.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My fingers swell and split if they become cold and wet, so have tried most but not all of the above at some point. I find the pertrol station gloves work well as liners, as do surgical gloves. Your hands will sweat but they produce a lovely warm micro-climate for your pinkies.

The Tuffbags also work well and I'm a big fan of Marigolds, they last quite a while and if you can find the big size, will likely fit over thinner gloves without being too tight.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

I’ve been impressed with neoprene glacier gloves when the weather is damp and cold. Wearing them for a long time makes your hands very wrinkled and soft though, so constant multiday use mightnot be great. They’re the only gloves I’ve hadthat keep my hands warm onlong rides in poor weather.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

mje25 wrote:I’ve been impressed with neoprene glacier gloves when the weather is damp and cold. Wearing them for a long time makes your hands very wrinkled and soft though, so constant multiday use mightnot be great. They’re the only gloves I’ve hadthat keep my hands warm onlong rides in poor weather.
I bought a similar glove from Polaris in one of their regular sales last winter. They are certainly amazingly warm and yet still retain a lot of feel.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Sealskins have worked well for me over the years - standard cycling gloves for cold and wet and winter cycling gloves for freezing and wet. Can be had cheapish from Sport pursuit and if you look after them they seem to last for a few years.

Add in pogies and its hand sauna time
JoseMcTavish

Post by JoseMcTavish »

I've been using these Hirzl Finger jackets for the last year or so:

https://www.tweekscycles.com/cycling-cl ... ket-gloves

The hole allows them to use the palm of whatever gloves you're wearing for grip and the material is great for taking the edge off low temperatures and/or wet conditions. Plus they pack down to nothing, so you're much more likely to bring them just in case...
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

As with everyone else. For many years I sought the perfect glove combo for when the winter hits. For past few years I had given up on breathable and waterproof (you can either have one or the other I concluded) and conceded to some NorthFace Gaunlets which are totally waterproof. Used them for a 500km ride in final week of December and yhey worked a treat and never let any cold or rain in. But on day 2, when removing my hands, I got to experience what I imagine a skunk would smell like!!!

This year I came across a voucher for some R#@ha (sorry I know we aint meant to use that word) deep winter gloves (already have some standard winter gloves which havent yet seen an extreme winter and apparently they aint made for extremes!!) and jumped (well kinda strolled) at the chance... so this years winter will see how breathable v waterproof v warm they are.

Anyways, to conclude, in my opinion and from the reviews, the best thing would be some Montane Prism (which are cheap as chips and yes, I should have got myself some by now). They are not waterproif but the gold loft insulation claims to keep warm even when wet according to many (or some but nit sure what temps they tested in) reviews they do work. For £35 its hardly a risk to invest and give them a shot!

Dont forget to report back when you finally find what works...
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Prism gloves are warm when damp/sweaty which is good most of the time, but if it’s raining they lose all windproof ness. Only like most windproof gloves t be fair.

I’m still hoping that the perfect waterproof but breathable outer glove is the perfect solution.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ianfitz wrote:Prism gloves are warm when damp/sweaty which is good most of the time, but if it’s raining they lose all windproof ness. Only like most windproof gloves t be fair.

I’m still hoping that the perfect waterproof but breathable outer glove is the perfect solution.
Thanks Ian. There goes my theory regards the Prism gloves. Oh well, will see what the end of year 300 mile ride does to the R#$ha gloves. For the price they better at least half work!!
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

My wet cold weather (if not using pogies) go to has always been the buffalo mitt. Your hands don't stay dry, but they do stay warm. Limited control of brakes gears and grips simultaneously though

Thanks for the tip about those trigger gloves (French army, around £10 on 'bay)
Jurassic

Post by Jurassic »

I've given up trying to find a weather proof glove that also allows reasonable dexterity (I hate bulky gloves while riding). My solution is to wear Hotpogs with my usual summer gloves underneath. The Hotpogs don't keep my gloves dry but my hands are always warm even when wet (and I've used them in driving sleet/wet snow). If I find I don't need them I roll them up and lash them onto my backpack (they also make a nice insulated seat to sit on during stops). It's a bit unnerving at first not being able to see your hands while riding but control of the bike isn't compromised at all.
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Hi everyone, thanks for all your replies. I've ordered a pair of the Hirzl overgloves Jose mentioned. I'll let you know how i get on. Cheers
Last edited by mtbmarkymark on Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

These are my favourite winter gloves:

https://www.cotswoldoutdoor.com/p/mount ... 14078.html

Not waterproof, they will get damp but the pile inner stays warm and grip is good, while dexterity is still ok. Bargain price at the moment too...might have to get another pair!