New saddlebag time...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

restlessshawn

New saddlebag time...

Post by restlessshawn »

My old bikpack.eu seat pack is starting to wear out (I've already sewn it back up a few times) so looking at new options.

I definitely* want a holster / bag arrangement this time so I can pack the bag the just strap it on the holster that's already there. So far I have -

Revelate terrapin - not sure where to even get this over here, dry bag with purge valve looks neat...probably most £££

Wildcat (whatever the bigger one is called) - with alpkit tapered bag..or terrapin bag if I could find one. I think they say up to 10l but are they ok with a bit more? Happy with my wildcat lion / lioness / ocelot so probably top of the list. Probably most flexible with using various sized bags with it.

Alapamayo (probably spelt wrong) - like the look of this, maybe more stable, usually out of stock and only available with red or white bag, not actually a dry bag but don't mind that

Anymore I've missed?

*I think
whitestone

Re: New saddlebag time...

Post by whitestone »

The Revelate Terrapin is available from Backcountry.scot https://backcountry.scot/product/revela ... ag-system/

I've the Wildcat Tiger, the larger Drover model. I use it with either Wildcat's own tapered dry bag (similar material and construction to Exped dry bags) quoted as 5-10L or the Alpkit Tapered Airlok quoted as 13L.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

whitestone wrote:The Revelate Terrapin is available from Backcountry.scot https://backcountry.scot/product/revela ... ag-system/
cheers...£130 mind...
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

I've got a wildcat tiger i was planning on selling soon.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Might be interested if it's the drover
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

not sure. they only made the one model when I bought it.

used for a 10 day trip to iceland and then sat in a draw since. Got a alpkit tapered drybag to go with it as well.
ripio

Post by ripio »

restlessnative wrote: Anymore I've missed?
Blackburn Outpost?
https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=black ... e&ie=UTF-8
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've only used the Revelate combo but can heartily recommend it. The valve makes packing it down much easier.

I used a Viscacha prior to that. It's arguably easier to get stable but I much prefer the holster/drybag design.
Rich3rd

Post by Rich3rd »

2nd for Blackburn Outpost, £55 (with their regular voucher code) at Tredz inc drybag
Never knowingly under biked...
Jamesh

Post by Jamesh »

I have a porcelain rocket mr fusion. Nice piece of innovation. 13L dry bag married with a holster/mini rack combo, rock solid stable.
Potentially a bit dear to get one over here, but certainly the quality is there.

Only thing I'm envious of sometimes is the exterior loops/straps of a Viscacha type bag, but i'd only probably use it for jangly annoying things anyhow
Pat

Post by Pat »

Don't forget restrap....uk company too
benp1

Post by benp1 »

I have the Revelate terrapin and the viscacha

I'm liking the terrapin, it's a recent acquisition. so far I will wouldn't say there's a clear winner, different designs each with their own merits
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Pat wrote:Don't forget restrap....uk company too
They look like Robinson Crusoe made them to escape from his desert island
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

benp1 wrote:I have the Revelate terrapin and the viscacha

I'm liking the terrapin, it's a recent acquisition. so far I will wouldn't say there's a clear winner, different designs each with their own merits

I recently sold my Viscacha......
giryan

Post by giryan »

Just noticed someone's selling a pair:
http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... =9&t=11013

I use the same combo, original Wildcat Tiger & Alpkit tapered dry bag, and think it's pretty good.
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

If you don't mind waiting for them to come back into stock, the Alpamayo one is rock solid, like the rest of their stuff. My buddy has one and is super happy, I've got the front harness which is also vaguely exciting and will get the rear when my Apidura one wears out.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

I have used Alpkit, Wildcat and DIY.

While the Alpkit is good, Wildcat holds stuff really well and stable, at no matter how little or much capacity.

Little drawback was the worn through drybag after about 1000 km. I guess the holes came from rubbing meal pouches and relentlessly rough tracks. Was easily fixed though.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

Looks like I am going to get the sewing kit out again and wait for the alpamayo to come back in stock
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

Think my phone must have auto-corrected, the front harness is not just "vaguely exciting", it's actually extremely exciting and well made! :lol: