So.. whats the best rigid fork you've ridden??

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

So.. whats the best rigid fork you've ridden??

Post by redefined_cycles »

:-bd
Sorry if there is already such a thread and feel free to delete... if not read on...

Please add details of the forks youve ridden and what was good or not. Anything and everything as long as its rigid. I am actually trying to decide what boost fork I should get but that has no bearing whatsoever on this thread...
redefined_cycles

Re: So.. whats the best rigid fork you've ridden??

I'll go first.

Chronologically:

Boardman 26er carbon fork including steerer. Came on the team rigid and I only got rid of cos I had a 26er Fox that needed using. Unbelievably comfy for a carbon fork and managed to do a loop including Jacobs Ladder on the fork with inly very minimal hand numbness and only a couple of (almost) endovers...

Surly something... (they all look the same to me but may have been a 1×) I think I did some Mary Townley sections on it for training and gotta say it was pretty boring and nothing much to write home about. Was reasonably comfy for a rigid but not sure what all the hype was about. No noticeable trail buzz but do remember cursing often on the really big boulders around the northern Peaks (but isn't that the case with all rigid setups!!). Was mainly ran for around 2 years on the Independent Fabrication Steel Deluxe which was 853 reynolds (and other steels for stays)...

GT Pantera forks with the Pantera... These by far we probablt the most amazing rigid forks I've ever had. First time I rode it (got it cheap as it was super retro and tired looking) with them forks, I was deeply in love. Then I set about (having already renewed all gearing) trying to renew the bottom bracket which was worn... the cups were totally seized and its from here I kearnt about heat treatment (never did manage to take the cups out and sold the frame super cheap for maybe 30 quid on flebay)... The forks (oh the forks... them lovely lovely forks) looked like some steel affair and beat I can describe is that they looked like Kona Project 2s. In fact they were so lovely that my current serch for a boost 120mm corrected fork has had me seeing if P2s exist in this newest (boost 27.5+er) iteration...

Currently in the process of finding the ideal carb rigid for my Sonder and will report back when I get/ride it...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Pace RC31 C-Types.

Fantastically light weight.
Comfy.
So springy you could see them bend under braking.

I bought them 2nd hand, rode them on and off for a few years then sold them last year for the same amount I'd paid.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Niner RDO - spendy but not gone back to bouncy since converting my bike.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Carbon - Travers Prong.
Steel - Salsa.

The carbon Arkose fork rides nicely too but not much use to you in this instance.
May the bridges you burn light your way
jameso

Post by jameso »

Jones truss, just a way better design than a standard fork. The difference between that and what I'd call a 'bad' fork when heavy-braking on a steep, rough slope is amazing.

Worst were my Pace carbon 29er forks - removed from the bike after about a month. Way too flexy. There was a sensation of comfort that I could have had from a bigger tyre anyway, plus as a sensation of riding with a fishing rod holding my front wheel on : ) Why bother getting fork offset figured out and then having the fork flex back and forth over ~20mm? I do know a guy who regularly rode like a fast, skilled idiot down Cwmcarn DH on a set of the 26" Pace forks, proving that it's just a personal thing. He broke them after a while though.
Last edited by jameso on Fri Oct 06, 2017 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

Chas Roberts D.O.G.S.B.O.L.X

Forks of beauty.

NOTE: This was 20 years ago
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

With Stu on that, Salsa steel forks are the best I've ridden, loaded/unloaded, 'just'
Enough spring etc....top banana :-bd
Trail-rat

Post by Trail-rat »

conversely i found the ctypes just about the worst ive ridden of the "premium forks" barring the hylix that i broke - but they were jsut cheap carbon from taiwan.

Ctypes didnt seem to have the same elastic connection witth the front wheel in a steering capacity that they had in a fore/aft capacity.

I really like my triple butted p2s . they have much more direct steering while still not being harsh.
jameso

Post by jameso »

I really like my triple butted p2s
They were lovely forks. Looked great too. I had some Pace RC-somethings that had and Al crown and 531 blades, they were good. I wanted Tange Switchblades though, or Brodie bolt-up forks. Sorry, going OT onto retro forks ..
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I have some triple bitted P2's on my SS and they do ride nicely. I think I bought them from CR when they were shifting some old stock, so sadly difficult to find these days.
redefined_cycles

Thanks guys. Theres plenty of pockets of discussions about rigid forks all over the net. But nowwhere you can see a fully comprehensive section of real world mentions. MTBR is all good and well but the bearded folk obviously don't visit there very often.

Regards the Prongs by Travers.. I've had a very keen eye on them.

Keep them reviews coming BBs... If you have a friend of a friend that rides or has ridden rogid then be sure to share the post so they can get their priceless (you'd assume) thoughts in!...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Salsas as they have stainless drop outs - nice and springy and apparently pretty strong. Fargo, Muk and kramp all had various versions.
Jones better yet but only on a jones....
postierich

Post by postierich »

Travers Prong with cage mounts are brilliant

Rich
postierich

Post by postierich »

ImageUntitled by Richard Munro, on Flickr
redefined_cycles

postierich wrote:ImageUntitled by Richard Munro, on Flickr
Dude you look awesomely cool in that thing.. whats the bike? Seems as thkugh Travers is what I will be reviewing on here shortly... what paint shade: Matt or Gloss :grin: :lol:
postierich

Post by postierich »

Ti Stooge great do it all bike
ImageUntitled by Richard Munro, on Flickr
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

Dave Barter wrote:Niner RDO - spendy but not gone back to bouncy since converting my bike.
+1 - RDOs are quite good.

Greetz

S.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Exotic carbon - flexy, with very visible deflection. Quite comfy as a result.

Enve MTN - great. Very lightweight, well made, big offset so comfier, works well with plus tyres up to 3.25”

Jones Truss Ti - again, great. Stiff and no deflection whatsoever.

Stooge steel - big offset, typical steel fork.

Rocky Mountain fat bike - aluminium. Dead, dull, heavy.

Chinese carbon fat bike (ICAN I believe) - Night and day. Much lighter, comfier and completely transformed the bike.

Best - truss fork or the Enve.
Worst - Rocky Mountain alloy.
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

I am unable to compare forks as I have only ridden one, the Niner RDO.

What I would say about it is that it steers well and provides what I would call 'rich' levels of feedback, I find it quite addictive. There is a degree of spring and damping which can be felt yet they do not twist.

Overall, I love them.

I am semi plannning a 29+ build and am looking at the Prong, I did give the Enve a look but the cost is prohibitive.
redefined_cycles

Thanks everyone... I think there seems to be a trend of the Prong coming out as a definite winner here. Especially on price v performance...

Lets keep it going and make the best 'Rigid Fork' thread in the world...
screescree

Post by screescree »

Surly ECR forks. Tons of attachment points, no flex but seemed to feel solid over rough ground. Great forks.
“Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of riding a bike” John F Kennedy
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

I won a Travers Prong fork in the raffle at the European Singlespeed Champs this year.
Seems nice so far - good solid feel. Haven't put all that many miles on it yet though.
Have a Salsa CroMoto on my other bike, which has been great over the last 8 years.
redefined_cycles

Got myself a Rockshox Reba Boost on the cheap from ebay but then Travis emailed me to say he had found a dusty Prong under the cobwebs (had a slight imperfection that you'd not notice)... Now have 2 Boost forks and in the dilemma of which to try out/run first (suspension or rigid)...

Thoughts welcome and will feedback on how the Prongs ride in due course.

One thing to note: the Travis come wrapped in a blanket and the build quality is just :geek: :-bd absolutely vaguely exciting... I could literally fondle them for hours!!!
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

MTFU and sell the Reba :wink: