BB200 2017 - No More Speculation

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

sean_iow

Re: BB200 2017 - No More Speculation

Post by sean_iow »

How close to the 'line' do I need to keep to be riding the route? Until the above talk of accuracy I had planned just to load the gpx into the etrex and ride it on-site. Am I supposed to be adjusting it to exactly match the tracks and roads of my preferred mapping?

Looking at the supplied gpx on basecamp and in google earth the only bit that I'm not sure of (at the moment) is just before the Elan Valley Visitors Centre. Just before that should be drop down the zig zag path just in front of the dam to get to the road that goes past the visitors centre?

With regard to total height, the above quoted 4600m and 220km works out at 110 ft/mile. An average xc ride on the Isle of Wight is 100 to 110 ft/mile and my quick spin around Brighstone Forest yesterday worked out at 148 ft/mile. Unless the route is no steeper than the Isle of Wight (in which case I'll be disappointed after driving all that way :lol: ) I'm bracing myself for more climbing than that. I've dropped the gearing on my ss to 32/20 which is what I used on the Braunton 150 but if there is 'only' 4600m of climbing then this might be a little spinny? Any other singlespeeders who've ridden in the area, what ratio do you use?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Thinking about footwear and wondering if there are any river crossings above ankle depth? Would prefer not to have numb feet for 3 months, like after the 2014 event!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

My advice is not to get too worried about accuracy. 99% of the time the line on your screen will tally with what you're riding on the ground, any deviation between the 2 won't be noticeable. Anywhere where there is no obvious track or path on the ground, simply use common sense and follow your screen as best you can allowing for the terrain. These sections are generally plotted to follow shown RoW which might bear only a limited likeness to what's on the ground.

Really, it's pretty simple to navigate, it is what it is and doesn't need making more complicated. People will still blindly follow a sheep track and wonder off route, even if the gpx track is accurate to the nearest mm :wink:

EDIT: Sorry Craig, missed the ford / feet bit. The only place I can guarantee wet feet is in the last 40km. Although it could happen earlier if you miss the bridge and use the ford but again, that is quite late in the day.
May the bridges you burn light your way
slarge

Post by slarge »

The only bits where gps accuracy might be needed are the road section before Elan village - you should actually be on the path to the right of the road, and then over Carnau where the path is vague at best - my advice would be to follow the line on the gps as whatever path you find is not a path but a sheeptrack or stream.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

you should actually be on the path to the right of the road
I was kind of hoping the line showed the cycle trail to the side of the road but regardless, it's pretty obvious when you get to it :wink:
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
you should actually be on the path to the right of the road
I was kind of hoping the line showed the cycle trail to the side of the road but regardless, it's pretty obvious when you get to it :wink:
If that's the Elan Valley trail (Lake side of the main road), the gpx file shows you as being on that and not the road on the UK Bikepack maps.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

The cycle path is slow and splashy anyway. Take the road. ;)

Also, I assume the plan is for people to use the steps at the side of the dam rather than riding off the top of it? Your gpx routes really are next level awful for accuracy Stu. :lol:

Edit - BTW, I get that some need the smaller files for their ancient GPS units. But it would be nice to get half decent ones as an option for those of us living in this century!
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Just noticed that you picked the really good rocky descent down to Rhayader (vs the god awful road descent). As long as it's not wet, that bit should be fantastic.

I'm just going through comparing what's on the route to what I've already done. From what I can tell, it's about 10 miles out of the total that's new to me. One bit in particular is quite a large section that's new... Trallwm to Claerwen. Let me guess? That bit's going to be a nightmare? :shock:

What concerns me more is that I remember how hard a lot of the other bits were when I did them last time. Going to be one hell of a tough ride.
Wilkyboy

Post by Wilkyboy »

Richard G wrote:Edit - BTW, I get that some need the smaller files for their ancient GPS units. But it would be nice to get half decent ones as an option for those of us living in this century!
As I said up-thread, I replotted the whole route in RWGPS and wrote a routesheet. I have checked off with Stuart the bits that were ambiguous from the original GPX and have finalised mine against those notes. He had specific sections that he wanted matched to his version, which I have done. The rest matches the obvious rights-of-way a bit more precisely.

I have created a one-part medium-resolution course, and a two-part high-resolution course (two parts to avoid a specific Garmin issue). With Stuart's permission you're welcome to a copy — but to maintain the entrants-only status that Stuart requested in his original email, I have to check before I can give you access. Therefore, if anyone would like access to a higher-resolution, plotted-not-recorded GPX, PM me, or email me at nick-at-camaudax.uk and I'll send it over :-bd

I have checked the entire RWGPS route over at least three times to make sure there are no idiot mistakes from me (although that's still a possibility). Any of the versions of GPX should get you there, but the higher-resolution GPX files will probably give you least angst at 2am while trudging across Carnau, maybe :wink:

For those of an audax background, I've also put my routesheet alongside the GPXes. It can be useful, but it's NOT a replacement for GPS.
Last edited by Wilkyboy on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I thought this was a bikepacking route not a cruise missile strike? :lol:

Judging from some of the traces from previous events people will find their own way across the "interesting" bits. From the sections of the route that I've done it's pretty obvious "on the ground" where you should go, tracks in the countryside rarely follow ruler-straight lines.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Also, I assume the plan is for people to use the steps at the side of the dam rather than riding off the top of it?
If it indicates that you ride off the top of the dam ... then.
Your gpx routes really are next level awful for accuracy Stu.
Have you ever seen one of Mike's?
BTW, I get that some need the smaller files for their ancient GPS units. But it would be nice to get half decent ones as an option for those of us living in this century!
Spare a thought for those of us yet to emerge from the 19th century ... and STFU moaning :-bd
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

Ha ha Mike's gpxs may be awful but they aren't a patch on his distance estimations . . .'as the crowd flies it's about...'

One of our rides to get me back out on my bike again was estimated at 'about 30 miles each way' - we did over 100 miles!
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Yeah but these days he works in 'Welsh Miles' Wenchie :wink:
adjustablewench

Post by adjustablewench »

He works in Mike miles - they are far more peculiar :))
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

In sure lots of us are the same with time. 'This will just take 20 mins'. 4 hours later....
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

whitestone wrote:Judging from some of the traces from previous events people will find their own way across the "interesting" bits. From the sections of the route that I've done it's pretty obvious "on the ground" where you should go, tracks in the countryside rarely follow ruler-straight lines.
That's fine, until you're in middle of the night and 10 foot to the right of a semi decent trail (that you didn't see) and desperately hoping that the line actually goes near it at some point. :lol:

As for stopping moaning. Nope! It's my enshrined right as a bikepacker. :ugeek:
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: ... it is what it is and doesn't need making more complicated.
I read this thread. I read Stu's post with that quote in it. I read the rest of the posts. I laughed :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That's fine, until you're in middle of the night and 10 foot to the right of a semi decent trail (that you didn't see) and desperately hoping that the line actually goes near it at some point. :lol:
Everyone's in the same boat ... just some people are better at rowing :wink:
Matt

Post by Matt »

I laughed
We all laughed as we were in head height bracken, thrashing through to make a path on the 45° slope, swinging our laden bikes as though they were machetes, BB200'er followed BB200'er each questioning the GPS.

Then as we emerged from the forest of bracken like lots of General Stilwell's on push bikes, the parade of bracken broken bikepackers saw the path directly below them and chuckled..... :lol:
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

I seem to remember "finding" the start of last year's "interesting" section was made more interesting by the "trail" actually starting from the top of an embankment with you at the bottom!

I've been ten foot to the side of a decent trail in the daylight :oops:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Matt wrote:Then as we emerged from the forest of bracken like lots of General Stilwell's on push bikes, the parade of bracken broken bikepackers saw the path directly below them and chuckled..... :lol:
Looked like quite a nice path as I recall too. :lol:
Karl

Post by Karl »

Is anyone else like me just accepting Stu's idea of fun and going along with whatever the GPS says without questioning the master route creator? :roll:

I believe your lines on the GPS Stu if no one else does :lol:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Having done a few of these... NOPE. :lol:
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

Karl wrote:Is anyone else like me just accepting Stu's idea of fun and going along with whatever the GPS says without questioning the master route creator? :roll:

I believe your lines on the GPS Stu if no one else does :lol:
That's the way I have always played it too Karl...

Si
Karl

Post by Karl »

Stupid us Si! :lol:

See you Saturday :-bd