BB200 2017 - No More Speculation

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Wilkyboy

Re: BB200 2017 - No More Speculation

Post by Wilkyboy »

slarge wrote:... There's about 15 hills with a 200m climb, and 50 with a 100m climb. That's mind destroying!!

So, now the plan is to turn up with a gps, a load of food, some lights and enjoy it.
Blimey — the hills look so small along the bottom of the screen! Now that you've put it like that, I'm bricking it! :shock:
slarge

Post by slarge »

Wilkyboy - I was exagerating. There are no big hills in Wales..... :lol:
lionelrik

Post by lionelrik »

Can I have a moan??? Which one of you failed to secure my lights to the front of my bike this morning? I've lost em and I'm mightily pissed off. :grin: On the bright side I'm glad it happened now and not this weekend. Silver lining and all that. Please see classifieds for WTD. Cheers. :-bd
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:if anyone is stupid enough to ride in the reservoir rather than along the track - you're obviously a f*cking liability
I know I have been guilty of over-thinking this, but just to clarify, does this mean there is no pack-rafting section? :grin:
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Only on the WRT that one time.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Mike wrote: On a serious note!! Yippy iv just seen the weather forcast and it's looking like shorts and tshirt and much suncream will be needed :-bd
I've seen that too. Despite being full of cold today (I actually drove to work...!) - I think I shall make it to the start line and see how I do in energy conservation plod mode - as if the weather is like this, it will at least do my soul some good. If I can also muster a sub 24, that would be a a bonus Image
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

You might see a lot of me if you're planning a "barely survive the experience" run. :lol:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Looks like given todays weather, it's going to be a bit wet underfoot Image
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

You might be surprised Zippy. We've had plenty of rain throughout the previous few months but the going still remains fairly firm and generally water levels are lower than you might expect. Obviously, there'll be a few boggy sections but they're 'perma-bog' regardless of weather or season.
May the bridges you burn light your way
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

Well I have just spent a couple of hours going through the route and I realised I have ridden big chunks of it before. It looks like it will be hard in some places but great fun. Fingers crossed for the good weather, as from the translations I have found, "Wales" means land of rain and mist.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I'm assuming there's no decent way across Carnau right? Just a case of HTFU and get on with it on whatever path you can find?
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm assuming there's no decent way across Carnau right? Just a case of HTFU and get on with it on whatever path you can find?
There is a kind of path which becomes much better once you get over the top. How much someone 'enjoys' Carnau will likey hinge on what time of day (or night) they travel over it.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I very much hope its still daylight when I get there, or I'm going to have a LOOOOONG night.

Edit - If it isn't, I could see myself stopping at the posh bothy.
Chew

Post by Chew »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:There is a kind of path which becomes much better once you get over the top. How much someone 'enjoys' Carnau will likey hinge on what time of day (or night) they travel over it.
This is where I believe the crux of the route is.
Anyone who can get to the top in daylight will have a big advantage.

120k in 11 hours is just about doable, but most people will arrive at dusk.

'enjoy' :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Or possibly even less, depending when you want to start.
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

My mapping software predicts that with a 09:00 start that to get to Carnau by 19:00 (as it gets dark) requires at riding at a pace for a 18 hour total time :lol: I predict that I won't be seeing more of them than my lights illuminate, which might be a good thing?
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

That was my pace last year... but I don't think I'll be managing that again. Certainly not with how I feel at the mo. I'll be lucky to even stay awake for the entire thing. :|
slarge

Post by slarge »

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best. Leave early to get there early. One in the hand is worth two in the bush. Etc etc
Mike

Post by Mike »

I'm hoping to start no later than 9, Im hoping to get a quick coffee stop at visitor centre in elan then try my damn hardest to get up n over carnau in the light. If I can mange this ill be happy to crack on at a slower pace as long as I haven't bummed out by then :lol: happy days I can't wait now the bike is pretty much packed and ready. Didn't want to use a back pack but I have too much food to carry :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I just can't do the leave early thing. My body flat out doesn't work at that time of the morning. :lol:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Crums, the "death or glory" ride in on Wednesday to either clear out whatever cold/illness I had, I'm still not sure if it worked... :| A lot of yellow stuff came out of my lungs, so I must be good now right :-bd I'm sure this office makes me ill....anyway!

I'm hoping to be at the start around 9am, traffic depending... and unconfirmed roadworks pending :???:

Haven't done any packing yet, did glance at my MTB yesterday evening, it looks ok :lol:

My aim is to make it to the finish in under 24 hours, a nice to have is a meal at the Elan Valley Visitor centre, anything else doesn't really matter.
Mike wrote: Didn't want to use a back pack but I have too much food to carry :-bd
This will be my first BB200 with a backpack :-bd
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

My bike is still in bits. Pretty standard for me. :(
Karl

Post by Karl »

At the other end of the scale, this is the 1st year I'm carrying everything on the bike, No rucksack for me! Not sure if this makes me :grin: or :sad:
darbeze

Post by darbeze »

I always use a rucksack...

Have lightened the load a lot this year though...

Here's hoping!

Si
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

I've only got a waist pack and all that is in it is my first aid kit, waterproof jacket, gloves and over-trousers. I could fit all that on my bike but when I store my waterproofs in my luggage I tend not to put them on as I can't be bothered to stop and open the bags. I always think 'it's only a shower it will stop in a minute' and by the time I do concede it's not a shower and stop I'm soaked to the skin :lol:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger