Highland Trail 550 - 2018

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

AlasdairMc

Re: Highland Trail 550 - 2018

Post by AlasdairMc »

Thanks. If I’m not going around the route this year at least my kit might...
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Yousers just checked out the weather forecast again - custard pie central for the north west, maybe some thunderstorms later in the week but yous will be finished by then. Enjoy it, the weather won't be like this for another 20 years. :cool:
Howard

Post by Howard »

I thought that starting an ITT the day before the group start was pretty insensitive. It looks like someone has started 4 hours before the Group start and added their dot to Trackleaders, which is just taking the p*ss. Anyway, best of luck to all the group start riders and the dot-watchers trying to work out who is who!
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Yellow marker = ITT, no?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ScotRoutes wrote:Yellow marker = ITT, no?
Yes. Phillipa started yesterday and stayed in Ben alder cottage.

Matt started at 5am this morning, yes ITTs on group start day are not encouraged.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Howard wrote:I thought that starting an ITT the day before the group start was pretty insensitive. It looks like someone has started 4 hours before the Group start and added their dot to Trackleaders, which is just taking the p*ss. Anyway, best of luck to all the group start riders and the dot-watchers trying to work out who is who!
Yep, agreed, a pisstake. Those two will be overtaken by many of the field, especially if Ben Alder Cottage is a first night stop for one, so will be contending for the already limited resources
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

They're already at Loch Pattack. I guess there's little issue if it remains at one or two. There's not really that much more contention for resources than might be expected on a sunny Bank Holiday week in the Highlands. If it became a much larger number though.....
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Just compared times with last year - the leaders need to pick up the pace :mrgreen:
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

ScotRoutes wrote:They're already at Loch Pattack. I guess there's little issue if it remains at one or two. There's not really that much more contention for resources than might be expected on a sunny Bank Holiday week in the Highlands. If it became a much larger number though.....
Like the last room in the Oykel Bridge hotel?
jam bo

Post by jam bo »

Yep, agreed, a pisstake. Those two will be overtaken by many of the field, especially if Ben Alder Cottage is a first night stop for one, so will be contending for the already limited resources
Didn’t realise it was closed course racing.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

jam bo wrote:
Didn’t realise it was closed course racing.
It isn’t. But there are 364 days every year when there isn’t a group start.

The group is limited in numbers to reduce the impact a large number of riders can have. The general request is that people avoid ITTs that may coincide with the group start.

This is frowned upon because otherwise there may be 50 in the group and how-ever many starting them too.
Howard

Post by Howard »

... and of course the hills are open every day of the year, but these are people who know about the event, know when the group start is, know they’re not part of it and yet have paid their money to put their dot on Trackeaders.... it is just disrespectful to the event.
psling

Post by psling »

Well, I hope Rich (Postierich) gets back on track where he left it, he seems to have taken a wrong turn?
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Howard

Post by Howard »

....looks like Lee Craigie did the same, had to reverse it and it cost her half an hour - ouch!!
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Did she reverse it? That's not what her Spot is saying. Looks like she cut across to the route and missed a couple of miles, or am i reading it wrong, hard to tell when the interval is 15 minutes, hope I'm wrong after last year.
psling

Post by psling »

And looks like Bob has wandered off course too.
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
psling

Post by psling »

pistonbroke wrote:Did she reverse it? That's not what her Spot is saying. Looks like she cut across to the route and missed a couple of miles, or am i reading it wrong, hard to tell when the interval is 15 minutes, hope I'm wrong after last year.
Thought the same but hopefully her GPS will show differently. Looking at the zig-zags on her straight line Spot track I reckon she did go back but there's a big gap between going back to the head of the loch and the next point on the correct route; like you, I hope so after last year.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I cannot fathom what Bob is doing going down where he has? I don't remember any tracks that way
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Dave Barter wrote:I cannot fathom what Bob is doing going down where he has? I don't remember any tracks that way
Hmm. Heading for corour station?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

pistonbroke wrote:Did she reverse it? That's not what her Spot is saying. Looks like she cut across to the route and missed a couple of miles, or am i reading it wrong, hard to tell when the interval is 15 minutes, hope I'm wrong after last year.
There’s a 20 minute gap before (hopefully) rejoining the route. That would be enough time to ride back to the bridge and get back in it.
Mariner

Post by Mariner »

ianfitz wrote:
Dave Barter wrote:I cannot fathom what Bob is doing going down where he has? I don't remember any tracks that way
Hmm. Heading for corour station?
Just had a look on OS as I remember the area below that path as featureless bolder strewn nothingness but there is a path shown on the other side of the river which will take him to the end of Loch Ossian and then at the other end is the SYH and the station. Very steep descent though to the river.
Zazen - nothing happens next this is it.
Chicken Legs

Post by Chicken Legs »

Dave Barter wrote:I don't remember any tracks that way
Thats probably because last time you were up there we were knee deep in snow :wink:
"What is man but the sum of his memories"
psling

Post by psling »

Mariner wrote:
Just had a look on OS as I remember the area below that path as featureless bolder strewn nothingness but there is a path shown on the other side of the river which will take him to the end of Loch Ossian and then at the other end is the SYH and the station. Very steep descent though to the river.
Well, it looks like he's made the track that leads down to Corrour Shooting Lodge and like ianfitz suggests, bailing out to the station?
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Just had a quick look , looks like Mike has stopped to keep the Scottish restaurant economy growing
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Anybody know where Stu Cowp might be going?

Hope he's not bailed..
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!