Commuting road tyre options

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

benp1

Re: Commuting road tyre options

Post by benp1 »

70-80 PSI sounds quite high on a 35c tyre? I think I'm running my 32c tyres at about 55-60PSI but they're marathon plus tyres so quite stiff and wooden

I have an almost entirely road biased commute (apart from a 2 miles stretch if I fancy taking it) and love the puncture resistance of the tyres

I liked the sound of the G ones but based on your review might opt for a less puncture resistant marathon
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I find 60 a bit squidgy on the road bits - the moment it's a bit mixed use though, I'd opt for around there. In fairness, I start them at 70-80psi, then when I pump them back up, they're down at 55psi, so same sort of "operating envelope".
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I'm loving the WTB Horizons I have (650b). So nice and comfortable/quick on roads and very capable off road, (they did the bb200). They run at 35-55psi. I'm sure they make a 700c version and I think it's called the exposure 30c. Ran them tubed/tubless at first then both tubeless. I've only had a single puncture from a big bit of glass that went straight through ad the sealant coped with it fine. I removed it and plugged it and it's been zero issues. They have done somewhere in the region of 1400km's now. I did have the crash the other week where the back wheel went on a round bout, but I don't know it I was tapped from behind by a car or if it was diesel. In the wet they seem as grippy as the dry. It does seem very strange on gravel or off road as they don't look like they have any tree when moving, but they seem to grip fine apart from on very steep wet grass. They are great on gravel and pretty good on mud.

If you want a tiny bit more off road grip they do the byways which are similar but with more edge grip, 700c version is the Exposure 32/34.
Oli.vert

Post by Oli.vert »

Marathon Racer in 30mm is a nice tyre. Fast but still with a good bit of grip.
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Update time.

So since I changed to these tyres, I’m now on over 3,600 miles, and I’ve just ordered a new tyre for the rear (same again for now as I’m probs only half way through the wear on the front). I reckon I’ll squeeze 4k miles out of it, and the front will do double. That’s mostly road, with say 3% off road/gravel tracks.
In that time, they have done a festive 500 (with no problems), been dragged through the snow and ice, and I’ve also cracked the frame (twice, although the second time I knew I was on borrowed time after getting the frame welded up) and replaced a rear wheel. Now I’m on a Hope fiveten wheel with a pro4 hub, when the tyre deflates entirely, the tyre remains actually on the rim/bead, with the previous superstar alex rims things – they popped off once entirely deflated which wasn’t great if you only have a hand pump at the side of the road.
I’ve had a few punctures, they’ve mostly self sealed, but I’ve had to use a tubeless plug a couple of times – it’s a bit of a fight to use the 3.5mm ones – but probs worth it given I can bulk buy them for 100 @ £4 or so rather than the genuine innovations ones at 5 for £5!

I’ve bought another G-One to replace the rear now it’s getting a bit puncture happy (the last one was a medium size slash right in the centre) and the centre is almost devoid of tread. I think I’ll try those Panaracer Gravel Kings next. I must say though, I’m sold by 35c tyres for the commuter, dead comfy, and I now ride via a bit of mud/gravel on most commutes – which previously on slicks I’d only really do over the drier months. They were also definitely a lot better in the snow than a set of slicks, and I barely notice the difference in how they roll.

057 (26-02-2018) by Chris Reeves, on Flickr

061 (02-03-2018) by Chris Reeves, on Flickr

081 (22-03-2018) by Chris Reeves, on Flickr
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

I'll do an update in a bit, but in short I've run some panaracer gravel king sk's for a while now, and they'er er goosed and despite plugging it, and the bead being on tight, they wouldn't seal again. It's starting to get puncture happy and not a lot of tread...

Anyway, my question is, has anyone got the performance version of the schwalbe g ones up tubeless? Coz they're half the price of the tubeless version! (i.e. https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-g ... 00498.html vs https://www.merlincycles.com/schwalbe-g ... 91923.html) I'm going back to the schwalbe g-ones, in short, they're pricier than the panaracers, and wear out quicker, but they roll better and grip better!
benp1

Post by benp1 »

How often are you puncturing Zip?

I've been running marathon+ tyres. 35c on the front, 32c on the back (had 32s, replaced worn rear with the front tyre and replace the with and bought a bigger, and heavier!, 35)

They're heavy but they're blooming reliable. 10k miles out of a rear before I changed it, 1 puncture since spring 2015

I really do want some comfier tyres, hence trying 35c, but I hate changing flats and I ride through glass every day
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

benp1 wrote:How often are you puncturing Zip?
Not that bad/often, the moment they start puncturing to be honest I've found is when the tyre is past it's best.... so that was at about the 3k mile mark on the rear tyre for the g-ones I found (for me, my setup, my type of riding etc. etc. so you may well differ).
Just done a quick approximate calc, I fitted the panaracer gravel kings back in July 2018, and I've done about 4k miles on them now, and the rears is now shot (very little tread, and become puncture happy).

188 (07-07-2018) by Chris Reeves, on Flickr

253 (10-09-2018) by Chris Reeves, on Flickr

So to be honest, prefer the G-ones, cost a bit more, 75% life span, grip better, corner better, roll nicer etc. etc.

I've done festive 500 and lots of riding on them (700x35 tyres) otherwise, and they tend to be fine, you can feel they're an ok weight compared to a heavy tyre. Both the g-ones and the panaracers have been pretty good whilst they're in good health, and riding over the shards of glass you spot when it's too late, they've held up fine. I've found thorns in them, again fine and they just seal. I find I top them up with sealant once in their life (guess they last circa 6months) to keep on top of puncture protection and to make up for any that's been used sealing holes.
I'm not going back to road/slick tyres now!
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

hmm, fitted schwalbe g ones about 2 months ago...

Rear tyre is looking quite thin already, got a puncture on the rear on my last bivvy a month - I went over some glass and it wouldn't seal. Then the other day there was sealant all over the store room floor - but couldn't find the hole in the tyre at a glance, assume it sealed and it rode home fine. Yesterday just as I was getting back, the rear went squidgy quickly - it got me home. Found an embedded stone, as I wasn't home with my compressor and patch kit, I shoved a repair string in, then promptly found another hole at the same time....that second hole was a bodge repair and it fell out on the way into work this morning (but fixed it better this time).

Anyway, looking into tyre mileage, schwalbe say there are many factors, so they don't give a lifespan, which is fair enough, but they do say typically 2000-5000km. That's only 1242 miles, so my tyre getting thin is about right at this stage I guess (they do rough tarmac and a bit of gravel lanes).

https://www.schwalbe.com/en/verschleiss.html
What mileage can be achieved with various tires?
It is difficult to answer this question, as mileage is influenced greatly by tyre pressure, load, road surface, temperature and the rider. For example, when used in hot weather with a heavy load and on rough asphalt, a tyre wears much faster.

As a general guide, you can expect a tyre mileage of 2000 to 5000 km from Schwalbe standard tires. The tires of the Marathon family usually last between 6000 and 12000 km. With the light Marathon Racer and Marathon Supreme, the performance is a little lower (approx. 5000 to 9000 km). The Marathon Plus is outstanding with its extremely high mileage of often much more than 10000 km.

No useful mileage data is possible for MTB tires, because the influence of riding style is too dominant. Our racing bike tyre Schwalbe One lasts from 3000 to 7000 km.
Crums, they wear quickly, need to choose something different if I want to avoid changing tyres every couple of months!
BigdummySteve

Post by BigdummySteve »

Have you looked at Schwalbe allmotion’s? I ran a set on the surly. Really fast rolling, near the top end in tests apparently. Good puncture resistance and I think they go up to 2.35 if you want big ones, got big mileage out of them as well.
We’re all individuals, except me.

I woke up this morning but I’m still in the dark
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Thanks for the suggestion. The maximum I can get away with is 700x35c (Coz mudgaurd clearance, and I want mudgaurds in winter!), and allmotions have a 38c smallest as far as I can see.

I think I'll try some others in the schwalbe range - I like how they ride, and the only downside really is the fast wear on these....

Thinking Marathon supremes now.. shame they have poor off road grip rating...but I'll manage!
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I’m sold by 35c tyres for the commuter, dead comfy
me too - steering felt a bit heavy but far more practical to use than thinner tyres [ my 18 mile commute is mainly off road/rough gravel/poorl;y mainating tarmac with tree roots raising the surface - the road bike [22c] can do this but it is slower overall [ very little in it tbh]- though miles faster on the few smooth sections i encounter
No idea on pressure of these as i do the thumb test - I am guessing at 45 psi but will check when i get home
has anyone got the performance version of the schwalbe g ones up tubeless?
My current tyres are not tubeless on a non tubeless rim
IMHO anything acn be made tubeless the only question is how much faff it will take you to get there - think mine took about two days to be fully sealed - though they beaded first time [ though it did not "stick"]
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

2bar/30 psi for mine - susprised by that might put more in and see how it handles
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

Lazarus wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 12:51 pm
IMHO anything acn be made tubeless the only question is how much faff it will take you to get there [ though it did not "stick"]
Hmmm... not anything Johnnie. I have some Edco carbon rims which are like 360g per rim. I'm contemplating tubeless (but know its a dumb idea as the sidewalls wont handle it very long) but would only start the project after quite a few thumbs up (from the forum) from a few select people. One being Sir Stu of the Shire... Personally I reckon he'd say I was trying to do something totally daft and I need social services involvement... :???:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

i know nothing of carbon rims [ or physics for that matter] but not sure why you think an inner tube ,likely at a higher pressure than a tubeless set up, is applying less force than a tubeless set up,

Crack* on I say

*Pun intended i might as well play on your fear here :wink:
Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Zippy wrote: Fri May 03, 2019 10:13 am hmm, fitted schwalbe g ones about 2 months ago...
So carrying on from this post, I changed this tyre yesterday. (It's the rear tyre, the front has been no trouble) I fitted it on 13/03/2019 and changed it on 14/07/2019. That was 2,346.36 miles they officially did (from Garmin computer logs). In that time, for the last month or so I've had to pump the tyre up before every ride otherwise it's waay too squishy, with it springing various leaks - but it has stayed inflated mostly, and in fairness the reason of having to keep pumping the tyre was I lost the seal on my valve!

Anyway, when I changed it, it had two patches and two tyre plugs in it - I sorted the valve and re-seated the tyre to try and get a bit more life out of it - but that dislodged all the plugs etc. so I put a new one on. One of the holes I got was due to glass and was a royal PITA to get the plugs to work - I bodged it enough to finish the ride.

So I'm going to see how this rear tyre pans out for the remainder of summer, and then I have some schwalbe marathon supremes sitting here ready to replaces the g-ones for winter. Be interesting to see how they do on the double track, but it's predominantly a commuting bike and only has a maybe 1 km of gravel to deal with on an average day.

I have got some photos of wear of the panaracers (and cut through profile) which I may add to this thread for interest once I get my online photos in order...Image