Orange lines on Open Cycle Map

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

thenorthwind

Orange lines on Open Cycle Map

Post by thenorthwind »

Doing a bit of route planning. Noticed a lot of solid orange lines which seem to denote mountain biking trails. They seem to correspond to trail centres, but not exclusively. Looking at the borders, Innerleithen, Peebles and Kielder are all obviously the trail centres, but the Capital Trail route seems to be marked too. Anyone know exactly what these are supposed to show?
quimarche

Re: Orange lines on Open Cycle Map

Post by quimarche »

Permissive bridleways.
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

It appears to be used to mark ways which are attached to routes which have an mtb:type flag or a tagged route=mtb, i.e. are designated as mountain bike routes. Here's a good example in France:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6047968

Solid blue, purple and red lines appear to be routes which are tagged route=bicycle, with the colour determined by which level of network they are: network=icn/ncn/rcn/lcn
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

thenorthwind wrote:Doing a bit of route planning. Noticed a lot of solid orange lines which seem to denote mountain biking trails. They seem to correspond to trail centres, but not exclusively. Looking at the borders, Innerleithen, Peebles and Kielder are all obviously the trail centres, but the Capital Trail route seems to be marked too. Anyone know exactly what these are supposed to show?
Someone has marked it as a cycle route. You'll see the Highland Trail on there too.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

It appears to be used to mark ways which are attached to routes which have an mtb:type flag or a tagged route=mtb
Thanks. I was aware that the data is openly editable but I didn't realise you could do that. It makes it an even more useful resource.
You'll see the Highland Trail on there too.
So it is. And the Cairngorm loop, and others.

Is there anyway of overlaying that data over an OS basemap?
DoctorRad

Post by DoctorRad »

thenorthwind wrote:Thanks. I was aware that the data is openly editable but I didn't realise you could do that. It makes it an even more useful resource.
I think you have to create a relation with one of the above tags and attach the ways to that. I'm not sure if it will work if just the ways themselves are tagged.
Is there anyway of overlaying that data over an OS basemap?
I'm sure it's possible, but I'm not aware of any online implementation which allows you to do it. You might be able to hack this to work if you can export from OSM to kml and overlay that onto Google Maps / Earth. You could do something similar with bikehike.co.uk perhaps? I'll keep looking, it's an interesting challenge.

EDIT: Go to https://mtb.waymarkedtrails.org/ (e.g. https://mtb.waymarkedtrails.org/#?map=1 ... 82!-3.0908 for Cwm Carn) and click the track you're interested in. Export it and then import to bikehike.co.uk to overlay onto OS. The export may get the segments in the wrong order, so you may need to play with the exported file a bit.

See also here for alternative ways to export.