Is it an adventure bike....?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Is it an adventure bike....?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'd rather have the slightly lower position the drops afford
Don't kid yourself that you'll actually spend any time riding on the drops :wink: Sadly, most folk 'out there' have theirs set up so the drops are barely useable and uncomfy. If you do want to ride on the drops (and you should) looks will need to play second fiddle.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I'd rather have the slightly lower position the drops afford
Don't kid yourself that you'll actually spend any time riding on the drops :wink: Sadly, most folk 'out there' have theirs set up so the drops are barely useable and uncomfy. If you do want to ride on the drops (and you should) looks will need to play second fiddle.
I actually quite like the riser stem + drops look. Then again, I also rate the Austin Maestro as a beautiful car... no one else seems to.

I understand the Vagabond is quite weighty, but from what I can gather it's actually not that much heavier than a Fargo.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ootini wrote:I was stood over the bike, both brake levers pulled back hard and was able to push the bike forward slowly. On my MTB with hydro brakes I wouldn't have a chance at doing that. I explained my concerns to the LBS guy, who just shrugged and said "Yeah, they're mechanical". As opposed to making any reference to cable stretch, bedding in, setup etc.
Go to another shop. Seriously. I'd have nothing more to do with a shop employing someone that could come out with that sort of comment. I'd certainly not be letting them near any of my bikes or buying one they'd set up.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Ultimate all rounder? First, define 'all round' .. : )

(Straying into One Bike thread topic there tho!)

And on the brakes, pretty common for post or flat mounts on steel frames to be a fraction off alignment, hydro power overcomes that initially it seems but a cable brake that's off by a bit can feel a lot better after a few downhills to flatten the pads relative to the rotor.
ootini

Post by ootini »

I guess my problem at the time was, having no experience of mechanical disc brakes I had to assume the LBS guy was correct and it was simply the fact they were mechanical, as opposed to not setup correctly or similar.

I think however, this pause that it's given me has allowed me to reevaluate what I'm after, hence realizing I'm actually looking for a monster cross / drop bar MTB, as opposed to a gravel bike.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Wow. I've just phoned every Genesis stockist for 50 miles, not one has a Vagabond in stock.... Looks like my test ride might take a bit of doing.
Gari

Post by Gari »

Most of the bikes you mentioned would take 2.2 in 27.5in, unless you are completely averse to that size. I have a bish bash bosh(awful name!!) with 27.5 horizons and 700c 40s of various makes. Works well for me. I'm about your height, and feel a 54 is a tad too long for cruising/touring long days. Can't imagine you would need a 56TBH.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Gari wrote:Most of the bikes you mentioned would take 2.2 in 27.5in, unless you are completely averse to that size. I have a bish bash bosh(awful name!!) with 27.5 horizons and 700c 40s of various makes. Works well for me. I'm about your height, and feel a 54 is a tad too long for cruising/touring long days. Can't imagine you would need a 56TBH.
I found the 54cm Sequoia was too small. Knees were nearly hitting my elbows. I tried the 56cm version and it was much more comfortable. I understand that the Genesis Vagabond geometry is different however, even Genesis themselves have suggested a Small (54cm) would be the appropriate fit, but I'd like to try it.
ootini

Post by ootini »

There's one shop showing stock of Small and Medium size Vagabonds....... In Taunton, which is about as far from North Wales as you can get, although frustratingly I was there two weeks ago.

So, it appears I have a couple of options:
1. Keep an eye on the forums / ebay looking for a second hand bike closer to home.
2. Buy one from the shop in Taunton and have it delivered, pray it's the right size.
3. Wait until the 2018 model is released in September. Although in Genesis' own words "Spec and colours are top secret for now".
4. Look for an alternative bike, but let's be honest, drop bar 29er mountain bikes aren't exactly falling out of trees.

Turns out, even the frameset in small / medium is now like hens teeth.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

There was a Vagabond on eBay earlier but now showing as sold :|
ootini

Post by ootini »

Fat tyre kicker wrote:There was a Vagabond on eBay earlier but now showing as sold :|
I'd seen it, but it was too big for me. Size L. Cheers though
ootini

Post by ootini »

Anyone know much about the Singular Swift? Seems quite similar to the Vagabond but lighter.
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Swift will take 29 x 2.4, 29 x 2.8, (fatb nimbles, not a true 3 inch tyre) 27.5 x 3

works very well with drop bars (woodchippers are fine, currently running Cowchippers)
ootini

Post by ootini »

SteveM wrote:Swift will take 29 x 2.4, 29 x 2.8, (fatb nimbles, not a true 3 inch tyre) 27.5 x 3

works very well with drop bars (woodchippers are fine, currently running Cowchippers)
Is it possible to buy complete bikes, or is it a DIY affair?
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

frame only, if theres any left in your size, second hand come up occasionally
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

looks like everything apart from XL in stock, if you mail Sam he'll be happy to duscuss a full build with you
ootini

Post by ootini »

SteveM wrote:looks like everything apart from XL in stock, if you mail Sam he'll be happy to duscuss a full build with you
Ah yes, I'd forgotten the pound has tanked against the Euro. The €599 price for frame and fork puts a massive dent in my budget, it works out £200 more than the Vagabond f & f. If I go over £1,000 all in the Mrs will be less than impressed.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

If I wasn't in a state of bicycle nirvana this is what I'd be getting as one bike to rule them all...

http://www.somafab.com/archives/product/wolverine
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

you might want to do a search for broken drop outs on Somas ;-)
ootini

Post by ootini »

SteveM wrote:looks like everything apart from XL in stock, if you mail Sam he'll be happy to duscuss a full build with you
I think I'll still send an email... you never know.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Yup, Stooge or Swift would be a great place to start.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

ill leave this here,salsa deadwood 29 plus,148 boost rear,alternator dropouts,goes down garburn pass fully loaded :grin:
Attachments
DSC03875 (800x450).jpg
DSC03875 (800x450).jpg (287.34 KiB) Viewed 7574 times
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

salsa fargo with a 29plus front tyre on a 50mm rim,2.3 on a 50mm rim in the back
Attachments
38483910-9150-4198-86F1-E8082E321EAC_zpsteyieeet (800x600).jpg
38483910-9150-4198-86F1-E8082E321EAC_zpsteyieeet (800x600).jpg (397.84 KiB) Viewed 7574 times
ootini

Post by ootini »

windjammer wrote:salsa fargo with a 29plus front tyre on a 50mm rim,2.3 on a 50mm rim in the back
If I could afford one, we'd have a winner.