Is it an adventure bike....?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: Is it an adventure bike....?

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've already been on the phone to them. It's not in stock, none of them, 2016 or 2017.
Ooh I hate that - why can't companies keep their sites up to date?
May the bridges you burn light your way
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I've already been on the phone to them. It's not in stock, none of them, 2016 or 2017.
It feels like, as a customer I should be able to order the product, pay, then insist that they source me THAT product at THAT price as that is what they advertised and claimed to be able to provide. I know it doesn't work that way, but it drives me absolutely wild!
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

ootini wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:
It feels like, as a customer I should be able to order the product, pay, then insist that they source me THAT product at THAT price as that is what they advertised and claimed to be able to provide. I know it doesn't work that way, but it drives me absolutely wild!
In their defence when I called about a Caribou they apologised they didn't have the previous years still in stock but they'd honour the price on the current years model.
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

So true, a couple of weeks ago a number of retailers had a few 2016 Vagabond framesets
In stock at discount prices (£222...cheers Tim :-bd ) but it's still not arrived, apparently it's here
Today ( crossed fingers and toes)... if it's not purple as described I will not be impressed ( what
Can I say,I'm a bike tart and the other colours mess with my Feng Shui :grin: ) .....on Farcebook
This morn, Genesis had an ad on for the Vagabond on what looked like 2018 colours....
ootini

Post by ootini »

johnnystorm wrote:
ootini wrote:
Bearbonesnorm wrote:
In their defence when I called about a Caribou they apologised they didn't have the previous years still in stock but they'd honour the price on the current years model.
They have provided me with a loyalty discount code, so when the 2018 model is released, I can get it for about £850, instead of £1k. However, this is based on me actually liking the 2018 model, there's nothing to suggest Genesis aren't going to completely ruin it, and it means me having to wait until October.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Steezysix wrote:The Longitude has a very long top tube, I think you'd need to size down if you wanted to put drops on it. It is great with "alt" bars though, I have on-one OG bars at the moment, will look at Jones bars when funds allow. The OG bars can be run upside to give a very shallow drop, while still using MTB brakes and shifters. I've tried it briefly after seeing it mentioned on here.
I run OGs on my current hardtail. I've not tried inverting them yet. How much lower do the grips end up in real world terms?
ootini

Post by ootini »

Can anyone suggest any UK forums that include classified sections where I may find a second hand Vagabond? Apart from BB itself.
johnnystorm

Post by johnnystorm »

Put a wanted advert on single track?

If you really want one would it be worth looking at the dealer list on the Genesis page and BCCing an email to all of them en masse?

Or email Genesis and ask what's changing for 2018 and be patient. Or buy an AWOL and be happy that someone somewhere is grinding their teeth. :lol:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Or buy an AWOL and be happy that someone somewhere is grinding their teeth. :lol:
... and Pandas.
Fat tyre kicker

ootini wrote:Can anyone suggest any UK forums that include classified sections where I may find a second hand Vagabond? Apart from BB itself.
Mine has arrived, very impressed with the finish etc, I'll flag up any I see in medium :-bd
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

I run OGs on my current hardtail. I've not tried inverting them yet. How much lower do the grips end up in real world terms?
I didn't measure it, but I'd say at least 50mm, I normally have the bars "upright" with the grips parallel to the ground. Upside down they were probably pointed down toward the ground around 30° so it's a fair difference in position.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Steezysix wrote:
I didn't measure it, but I'd say at least 50mm, I normally have the bars "upright" with the grips parallel to the ground. Upside down they were probably pointed down toward the ground around 30° so it's a fair difference in position.
Cheers for the info.
ootini

Post by ootini »

johnnystorm wrote:Put a wanted advert on single track?

If you really want one would it be worth looking at the dealer list on the Genesis page and BCCing an email to all of them en masse?
Done this. No joy on a medium so far. Also, emailed Genesis themselves.
johnnystorm wrote: Or email Genesis and ask what's changing for 2018 and be patient. Or buy an AWOL and be happy that someone somewhere is grinding their teeth. :lol:
Based on the picture I saw on Facebook, nothing is changing at all... Unless it was actually a picture of the 2017. It looked black, other than that, identical.
ootini

Post by ootini »

johnnystorm wrote:Put a wanted advert on single track?
Will do! In four hours....
ootini

Post by ootini »

And so, I figure I should summarize everything, then allow this thread to die. You're probably all bored to the back teeth of drop bar mountain bike chat now.

Tick boxes, but too expensive (any of these would be a contender if the price weren't so prohibitive):
  • Salsa Fargo
    Shand Bahookie
    Moots Baxter
    Salsa Cutthroat
    Salsa Deadwood
    Bomtrack Beyond
    Prebuilt Singular
    Prebuilt Surly Ogre
    Prebuilt Stooge
Doesn't tick the tyre width box, or I just don't like it for some reason:
  • Specialized AWOL / Sequoia
    Pinnacle Arkose
    Sonder Camino
    Kona Sutra Ltd
    Almost all popular "adventure" bikes.
Doesn't have a frame that lends itself to drops:
  • Pretty much all standard frame geometry 29er plus MTBs. (Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus etc).
Ticks boxes but I'd have to build it myself, and I'm a total gimp when it comes to mechanics, plus buying the bits will push me over my budget, or force unpleasant compromises:
  • Singular Swift
    Stooge
    Crust Evasion
    Vagabond FS
Ticks all the boxes, all of them, I just can't find one in the right size anywhere near by:
  • Genesis Vagabond
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

ootini wrote:
windjammer wrote:i dont understand why you have a price range,just buy the bike for what you want then it will be a cheap bike
if you buy something that is cheap it might not be suitable then you sell it and buy another ending up costing a lot more
I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean, but I wish I didn't have limited finds, otherwise I'd have a Fargo Ti or Shand Bahookie by now I reckon.
if a fargo ti is what you want then its cheap,if its not what you want then its expensive lol

i would just save up a bit more longer and buy the right bike for your needs
ootini

Post by ootini »

Genesis may have just p!55ed on my chips!

I've just received an update from them by email stating that the maximum tyre size one can fit to a vagabond is 29X2.1", however I know of people getting 29x2.2/2.3" tyres on depending on tread. They also state, that the Vagabond is a dedicated 29er and as such it is a dedicated 29er so I wouldn't be able to run 650b wheels on it.......

Have I missed something? As far as I was aware as long as the hubs and brake rotors match I can run any wheel diameter I want? With the increased tyre volume compensating for the lower BB height.... Is there something about the Vagabond that means this isn't possible?
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

Ootini - have you seen this? :

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... -gryphon-4
For sale is my Medium Singular Gryphon.
One of only two built as a prototype for Sam and I'm lead to believe it's made from 853. Maybe Sam could confirm?
Built up as an 8 speed at the moment but I can throw in all the bits to convert it back to an ss the way it's been for most of it's life.
Really is a fun bike to ride but I need the room as Mrs stu wants a new bike.
Hope hubs with Flow rims
BB7 brakes
Woodchipper bar
Thomson stem and post
XT crank
Hope floating rotors
Hope headset

Looking for around £550 for it.
Any questions ping us an email.

"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
Fat tyre kicker

Nice....Ootini, not sure what Genesis are saying there but I'm planning on building mine up
As 650b with large volume-ish tyres, anybody know any different ?
ootini

Post by ootini »

Pyro wrote:Ootini - have you seen this? :

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic ... -gryphon-4
For sale is my Medium Singular Gryphon.
One of only two built as a prototype for Sam and I'm lead to believe it's made from 853. Maybe Sam could confirm?
Built up as an 8 speed at the moment but I can throw in all the bits to convert it back to an ss the way it's been for most of it's life.
Really is a fun bike to ride but I need the room as Mrs stu wants a new bike.
Hope hubs with Flow rims
BB7 brakes
Woodchipper bar
Thomson stem and post
XT crank
Hope floating rotors
Hope headset

Looking for around £550 for it.
Any questions ping us an email.

Oooooooh, well now. That's interesting... Question is, will I / the bike fit? Plus I'd have to sort the gearing out. Don't think 8 speed would really cover the range I'm after.
Last edited by ootini on Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Singlespeed Stu isn't overly tall.
Pyro

Post by Pyro »

ootini wrote:Oooooooh, well now. That's interesting... Question is, will I / the bike fit? Plus I'd have to sort the gearing out. Don't think 8 speed would really cover the range I'm after.
I don't know about fit, I've never met you or the seller. It's a medium, which tends to fit 70-percent of people!

8-speed you can get an 11-34 cassette which covers most of what you'd need. Looks to me like a bar-end shifter, so will work (when non-indexed) with 8, 9, or 10-speed dead easily. Also an easy job to get a front mech and either extra rings (or new cranks) plus another shifter and go double or triple on the front for full range.
"Where you've been is good and gone, all you keep's the getting there..."
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Gryphon is a great bike and the frame and forks was about £550 on their own. This is a whole bike :o

I'm 5 10 on a good day and ride a medium. Buy it.

If it doesn't work for you sell it on at pretty much what's being asked as they are a good niche frame / bike, well regarded and a good ride.

Edit: if nothing else the experience of it will (hopefully) clarify some of your thinking and cut through some of your deliberations :cool:
ootini

Post by ootini »

Can anyone tell me what kind of drop outs the Gryphon has? I'm just curious as to whether my existing wheel set would be of any use at all.

Also, not sure if it's the angle of the picture or something, but do the drops on that Gryphon look a bit weird? As in very low... I'm just looking at Fargos, Vagabonds and the like and the "drop" section of the bar usually appears to be very close to the level of the top tube, but in the pictures of the Gryphon it's much lower.
Last edited by ootini on Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bog standard MTB QR compatible ones. I can't remember what that is.

It runs a Phil Wood relieved EBB, typically, so you can adjust chain length / BB height etc