Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

windjammer

Re: Is it an adventure bike....?

Post by windjammer »

i have a large fargo frame,fork,headset for sale in the above colour
ootini

Post by ootini »

windjammer wrote:i have a large fargo frame,fork,headset for sale in the above colour
Hi. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure a large would be too big for me. I'm only 5'9.5". Plus, I'm 99% certain the Fargo will be out of my price range for a while, but feel free to pm or post details here. If it's not right for me I'm sure others would be interested.

Thanks.

Also, is there something specific about the geometry of these frames (Fargo, vagabond, dead wood, swift) that lend themselves to the use of drop bars? Is there a reason I've never seen a drop bar'd Pinnacle Ramin for example? Just wondering.
Last edited by ootini on Thu Jul 27, 2017 4:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've never seen a drop bar'd Pinnacle Ramin for example?
I have :-bd
is there something specific about the geometry of these frames
Generally a shorter TT and longer HT for drops. Late 80's and eraly 90's frames lend themselves quite well in many cases.
May the bridges you burn light your way
gairym

Post by gairym »

Apologies in advance for posting this link as it in no way helps solve your 'which bike' dilemma but here's a link to some beautiful US 'monster cross' bikes - they purdy!

https://www.cxmagazine.com/american-cus ... speedvagen
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I think you need one of these. Big tyres - check. Drop bars - check. Looks like it got hit hard with the ugly stick - check. :wink:

Ooh and here's a mountainbike fitted with drops.

ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
I've never seen a drop bar'd Pinnacle Ramin for example?
I have :-bd
is there something specific about the geometry of these frames
Generally a shorter TT and longer HT for drops. Late 80's and eraly 90's frames lend themselves quite well in many cases.
I'm comparing the geometry of the Pinnacle Ramin 3 plus, Singular Swift & Gryphon and the Genesis Vagabond. It looks, to my immensely untrained eye, like the Pinnacle and Singulars are quite relaxed, slopey, long (technical terms) where as the Vagabond seems shorter and more vertical. Would this mean, that I'd struggle setting the Singular and Pinnacle bikes up to be as comfortable as the Vagabond?

*EDIT* Stu, whatever that Surly thing is, it looks really nice! However, it also appears to be sat on 26" wheels. *EDIT again* I've just noticed Surly do a 700c version of the disc trucker.
Reading another forum last night I think I've figured something out. I don't want N+1, I'm looking for N=1. So I think the reason I'm looking for a Monster cross / drop bar mountain bike, is that in most cases, it gives me the flexibility to run 700c / 29" wheels with narrowish tyres for pegging it down the road, in, 29" MTB tyres with varying levels of tread, and the option to shove 650b wheels on with much bigger, in some cases 650b+ tyres.... Now that is flexible.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

However, it also appears to be sat on 26" wheels.
Yep, I'm ahead of the wave ... we'll all be back on 'em one day. :wink:
Reading another forum last night I think I've figured something out. I don't want N+1, I'm looking for N=1. So I think the reason I'm looking for a Monster cross / drop bar mountain bike, is that in most cases, it gives me the flexibility to run 700c / 29" wheels with narrowish tyres for pegging it down the road, in, 29" MTB tyres with varying levels of tread, and the option to shove 650b wheels on with much bigger, in some cases 650b+ tyres.... Now that is flexible.
Very flexible Dave but outside your budget. If you forget the idea of drops (although you could experiment) what you've described above is sat ready and waiting and available well below budget.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
However, it also appears to be sat on 26" wheels.
Yep, I'm ahead of the wave ... we'll all be back on 'em one day. :wink:
Very flexible Dave but outside your budget. If you forget the idea of drops (although you could experiment) what you've described above is sat ready and waiting and available well below budget.
It is flexible, but at the same time, the ability to run 650b+ isn't really that high on my priority list. If it could run 700c/29" up to about 2.2-2.3 and maybe 650b up to 2.5ish I'm sure that would do me fine. The 650b 3" was just a nice to have, certainly not a deal breaker.
I'm hoping eBay or the classifieds may provide something. I think the Singular Swift, Stooge, Deadwood tick all of the above boxes, but as Stu rightly points out, these bikes are well out of my price range from what I can tell. The pinnacle Ramin 3 plus also fits the bill, but lacks the drops and converting myself is just too much hassle requiring skills and knowledge I don't have. This leaves bikes such as the Vagabond and Fargo, already "dropped" but slightly limited in tyre size, lacking the ability to run the plus tyres, but as I said, that's a lesser concern for me. Yes, the Fargo is still out of my price range, but again, I keep coming back to the Vagabond....
Single Speed George

Post by Single Speed George »

https://www.evanscycles.com/specialized ... e-EV244910
i kow someone who has one of these and really likes it....
ootini

Post by ootini »

Cheers George,

I looked at an AWOL last week, not the comp version though. It was OK, very similar to the Sequoia, but unfortunately the LBS didn't have one in my size. Doesn't look like it can take much more than a 29" 1.9" tyre in the rear from what I can tell.
Backcountrybiking

Post by Backcountrybiking »

Check out bombtrack bikes, they have a drop bar mtn bike that looks like a mk1 fargo, they also have things like dyno hubs as standard on certain bikes and round the world type setups off the peg.
http://www.backcountrybiking.co.uk
UK distributor of Revelate designs gear, Alpacka rafts and Force ten tents and provider of bikepacking and packrafting skills training courses and adventures and Packraft hire
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

Genesis Longitude frame and fork in 17" on eBay now too.....
ootini

Post by ootini »

Backcountrybiking wrote:Check out bombtrack bikes, they have a drop bar mtn bike that looks like a mk1 fargo, they also have things like dyno hubs as standard on certain bikes and round the world type setups off the peg.
If you mean the Bombtrack beyond then yes, you're right. It's utterly lush! And Charlie has them in stock! In my size (assuming Id be a medium)!! But it's out of my price range.... £1,399.00 But it's gorgeous, very much fargo-esque. http://bombtrack.com/bikes/beyond-2/
ootini

Post by ootini »

Fat tyre kicker wrote:Genesis Longitude frame and fork in 17" on eBay now too.....
Cheers, looks good. But, if you don't mind me asking a possibly dumb question, does the Longitude frame lend itself to being set up with Drop Bars? Again, I only ask as I've not seen one before.
Am I right in thinking the Longitude is a similar frame to the Surly Ogre?
ootini

Post by ootini »

As I'm facing up to the reality I may have to buy a bike without benefit of a test ride, I've measured myself again. Turns out I'm 5'9.5", 31" inside leg and 29" are (pit to finger tip ). Are there any other measurements I'd need to increase my chances of a good fit ?
Fat tyre kicker

Can't find any pics of a Longitude with drops on but no reason why you can't with the right stem etc,
My mate has one and it's a great bike and yes it's a bit like an ogre...
As to sizing, I'm 5'11 and my Mukluk is a medium (17") but I've got a large Vagabond on order...
I get away with a smaller frame on the fattie but need the bigger frame for higher mileage...
Going off your measurements it sounds a medium would be right but everybody is different,I've little
Experience with drop bars so the more learned on here may help :-bd
ootini

Post by ootini »

Fat tyre kicker wrote: As to sizing, I'm 5'11 and my Mukluk is a medium (17") but I've got a large Vagabond on order...
2018 model on pre-order? Or a 2017?
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

i dont understand why you have a price range,just buy the bike for what you want then it will be a cheap bike
if you buy something that is cheap it might not be suitable then you sell it and buy another ending up costing a lot more
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

the on one inbred 29er could be converted to a drop bar mtb on the cheap http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-bikes/all-s ... 56608.html
Fat tyre kicker

2018 model on pre-order? Or a 2017?[/quote] from Ootini

A 2016 one in the lovely purple colour....hoping it's here today...brand new old stock :-bd
Steezysix

Post by Steezysix »

The Longitude has a very long top tube, I think you'd need to size down if you wanted to put drops on it. It is great with "alt" bars though, I have on-one OG bars at the moment, will look at Jones bars when funds allow. The OG bars can be run upside to give a very shallow drop, while still using MTB brakes and shifters. I've tried it briefly after seeing it mentioned on here.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

2016 Vagabond for £750 ... looks much nicer than the 2017 colour.

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/genesis-2016- ... WuEALw_wcB
Fat tyre kicker

Good price that :-bd
ootini

Post by ootini »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:2016 Vagabond for £750 ... looks much nicer than the 2017 colour.

http://www.freeborn.co.uk/genesis-2016- ... WuEALw_wcB
Thanks for the link Stu. I've already been on the phone to them. It's not in stock, none of them, 2016 or 2017. Which was a touch disappointing I must say. I prefer the 2016 paint job, so if it had been in stock in my size, I'd have had that in a heartbeat!
ootini

Post by ootini »

windjammer wrote:i dont understand why you have a price range,just buy the bike for what you want then it will be a cheap bike
if you buy something that is cheap it might not be suitable then you sell it and buy another ending up costing a lot more
I'm not 100% sure I understand what you mean, but I wish I didn't have limited finds, otherwise I'd have a Fargo Ti or Shand Bahookie by now I reckon.