New rear tyre

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

u02sgb

New rear tyre

Post by u02sgb »

So I was surprised how much I like the WTB trail boss tyres that came with my Maccatuskil. They're the lightweight ones though and am planning some Cairngorm granite rides soon and want something tougher for the rear. Comments on the current candidates please. Particularly if you've tried more than one.

Racing Ralph snakeskin (maybe new Addix speed compound?)
Maxxis Exo Crossmark 2
Tougher version of the WTB trail boss.

I've used the 26er racing Ralph and was surprised how much grip it had. Stayed away from the Crossmark 1, but the 2 looks a bit grippier.
Pirahna

Re: New rear tyre

Post by Pirahna »

I've used Ralphs for racing and they're great for dry conditions. I used them on the Peddars Way in Norfolk and trashed both front and rear within 100 miles. When I got home I'd used both spare tubes, 2 tyre boots and several patches. No experience of the others but I wouldn't use Ralphs outside of a race.
ootini

Post by ootini »

Is a rock razor a pssibility ?
Wotsits

Post by Wotsits »

Maxxis- exo + tr
Ikon
Ardent
Ardent Race
Crossmark
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!
Justchris

Post by Justchris »

Xking 2.4 protection works well in the cairngorm. Fast, tough, light enough, but a little grippy compared to your other suggestions. But that's no bad thing.

Yep keep away from crossmark 1. Super fast but super slick in the moist. Deadly in the wet.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I rode in the Cairngorms quite a lot :wink:

Crossmark is fine as a rear if your after speed. Ardent is better for a bit of grip.

I also use Bontrager XR4s, Nano 40cs, Surly Nates and 3" Nobby Nics (and various other things). None of them have proven to be a problem.
u02sgb

Post by u02sgb »

Hi, sorry been travelling or I'd have replied sooner.

I've found Contis to be a bit problematic for Tubeless so I've been staying away from them. I've got an Ardent for the back of my full sus, although it's a 2.4. It's noticeably slower than the Trail boss, although that's 2.4 exo Ardent vs 2.25 lightweight casing Trail Boss. Think I might have convinced myself of a high speed EXO Crossmark 2 in 2.25 for the Maccatuskil. I'd forgotten how delicate Schwalbes can be, might wait and see if the reports of the new compounds improve that in future.

Thanks all.

Stu.