OT inflatable kayaks

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

barney

OT inflatable kayaks

Post by barney »

just repeating a post I put on STW as I think there are a couple of kayak users on here...

daughter #1 has decided that cycling really isn't for her and I'm fine with that as I don't want to be a pushy parent. On a recent trip she saw an inflatable kayak and said she'd love to do have one to do lots of "daddy & daughter adventures".

Basically I know naff all about them, how much do they cost and what do you get for your money? Can anyone give any pointers please and/or point me in the direction of a STW/BB's similar forum for kayaking?

cheers
Wait for me...
Trigs

Re: OT inflatable kayaks

Post by Trigs »

Song of the paddle website.
Not kayaking specific but plenty of inflatable users over there.

I think Gumotex, Zpro and sevylor are the more popular brands of inflatables, unless your looking at the likes of packrafts etc.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

I recently picked one up from decathlon. Mainly as Mia is into open water swimming and like to go a long way. I'm safety boat.

Ours is a two person one, not amazing yo paddle but does the job.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Google Advanced Elements. After that look on eBay. There's usually a few going but beware, bidding can get silly and I've seen them going for nearly new prices.

Great fun and paddles well. Couldn't say whether worth the money but reviews and general paddling banter seems to imply they're one of the best / closest to "proper" canoe performance.

EDIT:

I have one of these:

http://www.advancedelementskayaks.co.uk ... rame-kayak

As you might notice, eye-wateringly expensive when new but it is a great bit of kit. Ebay usually good for them but only one listed at moment.
DanLear

Post by DanLear »

+1 for Advanced Elements.

had previously been looking at the Sevylors myself, but having seen an AE one "in the flesh" yesterday for the 1st time it looks to be leagues ahead...
benp1

Post by benp1 »

ianfitz wrote:I recently picked one up from decathlon. Mainly as Mia is into open water swimming and like to go a long way. I'm safety boat.

Ours is a two person one, not amazing yo paddle but does the job.
You should've bought a pedalo, then it would be training for both of you. Those things are so damn inefficient you'd have got a real workout!
Bearlegged

Post by Bearlegged »

Lidl were recently selling them for £40. If you can track one down it could be an inexpensive way to try it out.
techno

Post by techno »

Landslide wrote:Lidl were recently selling them for £40. If you can track one down it could be an inexpensive way to try it out.
Aldi :wink:
https://www.aldi.co.uk/crane-inflatable ... 7153602600
barney

Post by barney »

techno mail wrote:
Landslide wrote:Lidl were recently selling them for £40. If you can track one down it could be an inexpensive way to try it out.
call me a cynic but from what I know about cycling (and that's not much) sometimes cheap often equals just cheap and nasty. Not sure I'd be happy putting my kids in a £40 kayak?
Wait for me...
Nevis

Post by Nevis »

I've got a Sevy Colorado and it's great.

It's not a kayak but if you accept that it is what it is and it serves your need then it's a great bit of kit.

Had mine for about 6 years with no problems what so ever. I got it as an alterative to a sot as I didn't have the storage or access at the time.

It's very stable, versatile and robust enough for what I do with it. I use mine in the sea for fishing, "boat packing" and mucking about when the sun shines.

The only downside (for me) is the time to inflate/deflate and the need to rinse it after use. I guess an electric pump would solve one of those problems.

"Song of the Paddle" is a good source of info http://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/forum/ ... all-makes)
techno

Post by techno »

barney wrote:
techno mail wrote:
call me a cynic but from what I know about cycling (and that's not much) sometimes cheap often equals just cheap and nasty. Not sure I'd be happy putting my kids in a £40 kayak?
Not saying that I know anything about kayaks of any variety. But I did spot them in Aldi at the weekend. At £40 it could be a cheap way to get out on some nice calm water?
I personally couldn't splash out hundreds on a taster session.