Lightweight bivi / tarp tents

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

fatbikephil

Lightweight bivi / tarp tents

Post by fatbikephil »

Right I'm after a lightweight bivi tent style of thing eg Trekker tent stealth, 6 moons lunar solo / deschutes etc. Criteria are that it must be 800g max but less for pref (ie 200g lighter than my force 10 helium or else its not worth it). I don't often ask for advice but I've ended up buying stuff recently which turns out to be not what I want so I thought I'd ask the collective...

Lunar solo - I read the other post on this but the condensation thing freaks me out. Its going to be used in Scottish summers so it will be warm and damp. I'm thinking the deschutes would be better as the net inner keeps you away from the damp outer... But the trekker tent is substantially cheaper, made in Scotland somewhere and gets good reviews. My concern is its not tall enough for a 6'1" bloke to sit upright in whereas the 6 moons ones are.

And finally - just how waterproof are they. In theory it will be for better days on the basis that the F10 is used when its horrible and the bivi bag is used when 3 independant forecasts say its going to be dry and breezy.

So any thoughts or reccommendations are most welcome.
Bearbonesnorm

Re: Lightweight bivi tents

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

In reality, you probably wouldn't go wrong with any ...

Lunar, if pitched well and used with the doors partially open (when possible), won't produce much condensation. There's plenty of venting if used well.

Stealth is like a 'proper' tent and as you say, has a lot going for it. The main concern for many is getting in and out with the central pole ... I've made quite a few double front poles which can be set up as an A frame, giving full access to the door.

Deschutes with a Serenity inner is again, very much like a proper tent. However, it lacks the top vent of the Lunar so air won't circulate as well as you might think ... obviously the inner means any condensation that does form is less of an issue.

They're all properly waterproof. Some folk do seam seal them but I never bother and have only ever experienced one tiny leak.

Having just read that through, I see it doesn't help at all ... sorry.
May the bridges you burn light your way
ScotRoutes

Re: Lightweight bivi / tarp tents

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've only used the Lunar and will say I did have condensation issues with it once. I was camped at Findhorn and there was a thick see haar that was coating everything.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I've only used the Lunar and will say I did have condensation issues with it once. I was camped at Findhorn and there was a thick see haar that was coating everything.
Given the conditions, do you think it faired much worse than anything else would have Colin?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

I guess that a two-skin tent might have at least prevented any risk of getting damp inside - maybe. With no breeze at all, it's difficult to imagine anything coping in those conditions. It's certainly never occurred again and it wouldn't put me off using or recommending the Lunar.
Borderer

Post by Borderer »

We had condensation issues a few times with the Trekker Stealth in Portugal, but only where there wasn't any breeze. The very first night we spent in it the condensation was so bad that the lad got a shower in the morning when I shook the tent while unzipping it. I had never known condensation so bad and thought the tent was going to be a disaster. Other times though we had condensation but not too bad. We did have to be careful not to let the sleeping bags touch the sides for that reason. As the inner is all mesh bar the bathtub, there isn't much to stop the condensate getting onto you from the flysheet once it builds up.

I found the Stealth could be a bit tricky to put up as it needs to be under a fair bit of tension, but it is certainly very lightweight, durable and waterproof. The porch isn't huge, but it is still plenty big enough for bikepacking bags, shoes etc and still leave enough room to squeeze into the tent past the central pole. I could only just sit up at the very end of mine (5ft4 in a Stealth 1.5), but getting dressed is about all you need to do that for.

I know that Marc had a 10 week waiting time for Trekker tents at one point - has that improved at all. I got lucky and got mine from eBay so I didn't have to wait.
ianpv

Post by ianpv »

I've got a trekker tent stealth. I've not had any condensation problems with it, and always stayed dry as long as the pitch was good (had one problem on the HT550 when I pitched under extreme midge pressure and the outer touched the inner overnight). It benefits from using the two extra tie outs on the sides. Getting in is a pain, and I can't really sit up in it, but overall I'm pretty pleased with it for the weight/pack size. Lighter than my old bivi/tarp combo.

I'm thinking of going back to a bivi for 'racing' though, and maybe getting a bigger tent for more relaxed trips.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Phil, if condensation happens then there's not much you can do about it http://bearbonesbikepacking.co.uk/phpBB ... 82#p122982 Airflow will help a little but if the temperature of the material is near the dew point it will build up condensation. Twin skinned tents can be better if there's a temperature gradient between them so that the outer is at/below the dew point but the inner is above it.

As Scotty would say: "Ye cannae break the laws of physics captain!"
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Normally i use a Lunar Solo. But have tried the flysheet of my tent with a groundcloth recently too. Less condensation with the Lunar solo generally as it's better ventilated and because it's a roomy thing i don't tend to touch the walls too much. The tent fly in contrast suffered worse condensation and as it's a bit smaller i tended to contact the condensation a bit more. Normally of course you have the inner tent inside and i think this not only prevents you from touching the wet fly but i wonder if you get less condensation due to air movment being set up between the inner and fly. I used to think packing a soggy lunar solo away in the morning would be a big problem when i pitched again in the evening but i have found that 5 mins with the door open and a breeze and it's dry or a quick wipe down with a microfibre cloth. My Lunar solo is 677g, pole a bear 80g, 8 pegs 66g and i usually take a MYOG tyvek footprint @ 113g.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Thanks all - thats some useful info there. Leaning towards the Lunar solo or deschutes as it looks like the stealth might be a bit low for me. The deschutes does now seem to have a top vent so the decision seems to be mesh inner or no inner.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The deschutes does now seem to have a top vent so the decision seems to be mesh inner or no inner.
Apologies, I hadn't realised they'd fitted a vent on the second generation.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Also interested in this. I think bivi bags are OK for racing (with a synthetic bag/sponge if out for more than 2 nights), Tarps are good for touring (when the weather is good) but a tent is required in rotten weather / midge conditions, and a no brainer if sharing with a buddy. Telemark2 still looks like a good option.
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Nobody's mentioned Zpacks Hexamid Solo yet ?

VERY light - 15ozs (425g)

Ianfitz has one ?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ericrobo wrote:Nobody's mentioned Zpacks Hexamid Solo yet ?

VERY light - 15ozs (425g)

Ianfitz has one ?
I do. Purchased via eBay in lightly used condition. It's pretty amazing TBH.

Mine has the extended beak. With a Cuban bathtub ground sheet, completely enclosed midge netting, proper pegs (Stuart's carbon jobs) and one of Stuart's poles mine weighs 535g.

Despite being something I'd always fancied it was a panic buy just before last years HT 550. It was a relative bargain.

There's some good photos on their website that show the size of it. It's fairly roomy really and very weather proof.

I'm pretty sure it will accompany me on a trip down the divide. Light, weather and insect proof and only a couple of minutes to put up and down.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Just ordered one of these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-3F ... 37993.html

Not mega-light and obviously a bit of a gamble but very cheap. My Aliexpress Trailstar clone is fab, so we'll see.
tomwardill

Post by tomwardill »

Charliecres wrote:Just ordered one of these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-3F ... 37993.html

Not mega-light and obviously a bit of a gamble but very cheap. My Aliexpress Trailstar clone is fab, so we'll see.

Oooh, interested in this, do post when you've got it and found out. Having done some experimentation in the garden, I think I'm going to have to use a tent type if I ever want to take the dog with me.
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Charliecres wrote:Just ordered one of these https://www.aliexpress.com/item/2017-3F ... 37993.html

Maybe a question for Stu but what length / weight pole are you planning to use with it?

I may just have splashed out on that tent too :oops:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Matt has one of those ^. It's very fussy with regard to pole length and took me ages to get the correct dimensions ... which I now can't remember. :roll: I'll ask and see what the pole length is / was.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Pitch it on a regular flat surface and use an extendable walking pole to work out the length?
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Matt has one of those ^. It's very fussy with regard to pole length and took me ages to get the correct dimensions ... which I now can't remember. :roll: I'll ask and see what the pole length is / was.
So long as I don't have (one of your poles) in the right weight and length already (Trailstar and silwing ones) I'll be wanting one Stu so (whilst I'm expecting you to run round after me, as if :wink: ) it'd be reet good to know :cool:
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

The Zpacks thing looks good but in the event I've gone for a 6 moons deschutes. Then I discovered the mesh inner is out of stock - hey ho. Depending on how I get on with it I may consider the considerably dearer Z packs thereafter....
The alie express one looks good value - looks remarkably similar to the deschutes which makes you wonder if its come out fo the same factory
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

looks remarkably similar to the deschutes which makes you wonder if its come out fo the same factory
Quite different in the flesh.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
looks remarkably similar to the deschutes which makes you wonder if its come out fo the same factory
Quite different in the flesh.
Just seen they do inner tents as well - I nearly bought one but bottled it when asked for card details. Plus not sure what the score is with customs etc
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Just seen they do inner tents as well - I nearly bought one but bottled it when asked for card details. Plus not sure what the score is with customs etc
Very rare you'll get stung with stuff from China.

Have you thought about a simple net for the inner. https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... -net-p5300
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Very rare you'll get stung with stuff from China.

Have you thought about a simple net for the inner. https://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co.uk ... -net-p5300
I need somehting with a bathtub groundsheet to keep my bag and stuff dry - could be the basis for a MYOG job tho....