SPOT Tracker Renewal Fees - Being Gouged?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Taylor

Re: SPOT Tracker Renewal Fees - Being Gouged?

Post by Taylor »

ScotRoutes wrote:I've just had the renewal dialogue. After a couple of emails, one of which included the magic word "Inreach", I got the subscription back to £140 and a commitment to discount next year too. That's back to what I originally paid a few years ago (allowing for inflation).
Good effort, I'll have to remember that in march when it's my turn.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I've refused to pay them ever again. Blocked on my credit card after they verbally, and by email, cancelled contract - then still took funds, and refused to refund.

Happily sell my gen3 if anyone wants to deal with them.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Thinking about it, given the £/$ exchange, rate it's probably cheaper now than it's ever been :lol:
frogatthefarriers

Post by frogatthefarriers »

I had the annual "renewal discussion" last week. Like Scotroutes I got them down to £140 same as last year. It's not due until 31st , but now I can't find the thing. I've searched my place everywhere. I've even been been back to look in the weeds where the last message as sent from (2nd October) in case I left it there, but zilch, nada, nothing. I've phoned Spot. They say that if anyone tries to use it, messages will come to me. I keep checking. There haven't been any.

So what to do now? I'm tempted to get another one. That way I'll at least get my 140 quids worth and I won't have to rigidly keep to the route I've told my lady I'll be riding, so there'll at least be a chance of recovering my body if the worst happens. (I'm getting old - you have to think of these things) But, if I buy a "pre owned" one how will I know I can register it to me? Suppose it's one that's been "found" and still registered to its rightful owner. What to do?

£140 seems a lot of money for not very much, but for me, nearly always riding on my own it's just about worth it. Say I use it for 20 rides, that's only £7 each time. It doesn't seem so bad if I say it like that. Especially if it's been a good ride.
Konia kują, żaba noge podstawia...
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

They get cheaper still if you turn down the discount and tell them to cancel. Personally I refuse to deal with companies like this, let it lapse and sold it on. This is the last email I had from them
Thank you for contacting SPOT Customer Care.

As per request, your account has been scheduled to be deactivated on September 29th.

After the 29th it will no longer appear on your account and anyone can activate the device at that point.

We would also like to thank you for taking the time to consider our previus offer.

In a last attempt to keep you as a customer, we would like to offer you the service for €100.00 before taxes.

Please advise if you would like to take advantage of that opportunity.

If you don’t reply, your account will be deactivated on the 29th as scheduled.

Thank you,
SPOT
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Lu, I've got a brand new gen 1 you can have cheap if you don't find yours.
May the bridges you burn light your way
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

Is the current advice to hold your nerve and refuse the discount?

I got an email this morning about the additional €20 service fee, told them to cancel and had a €50 discount about five minutes later. I’m yet to decide what to do with it.
restlessshawn

Post by restlessshawn »

They offered me a €40 discount when I first said cancel, I told them to cancel then they offered it to me for €100 + tax for the year but I cancelled anyway

Tell them no deal is better than a bad deal or some other master negotiating tactic. You can always chicken out before they actually disconnect you.
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Saw that on the beeb, looks like he had the posh version that enable message sending.
Got my notification of the 20eu increase today too. gonna tell them to stuff it and see what happens....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

GTC have obviously recognised the problem that auto-renewal is causing.

https://www.globaltelesat.co.uk/spot-gen3-service-plans
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Just ensure to include GEOS subscription.
Seems an oversight to give GEOS as an option.
quimarche

Post by quimarche »

I needed to call out our MRT last weekend; first time in over forty years in the hills. Obvs, they did a sterling job and the casualty was safely returned. Chatting with them later, this was said:

"Spot Trackers are a mixed picture. The signal will be received in the UK and eventually it will get to us via the Coastguard but no information about the nature of the call is available and around 1/2 the incidents on spot trackers in the Lakes end up being false alarms. They do give some position information but often there can be errors of a couple of 100 m due to differences in coordinate systems. They are better than nothing and work where phones don't but very much a backup option."
Last edited by quimarche on Sat Feb 02, 2019 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Partly why have an inReach; two way communication
ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Why do you all have to bother with this crap ?

I bet the RSF didn’t use spots (mind you they probably were always in groups)...

Along with spirit of adventure you need ‘wherewithal’ and ‘mountaincraft’, and knowing your limits and knowing that accidents can and do happen, and if you’re always tuned in to this you are a lot safer.

And just look down to your ‘Stop being soft’ badge, and get on with it... :-bd :lol:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ericrobo wrote:Why do you all have to bother with this crap ?

I bet the RSF didn’t use spots (mind you they probably were always in groups)...

Along with spirit of adventure you need ‘wherewithal’ and ‘mountaincraft’, and knowing your limits and knowing that accidents can and do happen, and if you’re always tuned in to this you are a lot safer.

And just look down to your ‘Stop being soft’ badge, and get on with it... :-bd :lol:

I have one, although currently with out subscription. Reason being it provides reassurance for wife and family when I’m out, usually alone in remote (by uk standards) places. Personally I’d not bother but consider it a price worth paying to know I’m not causing under stress and worry to my loved ones.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

ericrobo wrote:And just look down to your ‘Stop being soft’ badge, and get on with it... :-bd :lol:
I take risks; however, they are very calculated. That said, unfortunately accidents do happen, even to the most prepared.

My inReach is a little like air bags/seat belt in the car, or a cycle helmet; I hope never to need them; however, will be grateful of them if required.

I have been so impressed with the inReach even sold the sat phone.

Nice to be able to text people to let them know I’m okay. Weather forecast also comes in handy.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Who cares what people used in the past, can't we 'progress' with technology. Once, bikes came with fixed gears but I'm guessing you've moved on from this? No?

ericrobo wrote:and knowing your limits
How do we find our limits? If we REALLY want to find our limits, isn't that done by first finding failure? Or is that just me... :lol:

Had a SPOT for a year due to a winter race requirement. Never renewed my subscription since and can't see me renewing it soon. One thing though, if people are happy to carry them and it doesn't affect you, why be so negative?
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Because I ride on my own in very remote places, and I crash fairly frequently because I'm not smart enough to descend sensibly.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

voodoo_simon wrote:One thing though, if people are happy to carry them and it doesn't affect you, why be so negative?
Exactly

One day I might be in a position to assist someone else if they are in need of help.

And Garmin make the point that the inReach can be used for other situations; for example the car won’t start in a location with no cellular service or nearby phone box
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

ericrobo wrote:
Because people actually die on the hills, especially at this time of year. Even the best of plans can go awry and you never know who else you might encounter that might need assistance.

Because being able to inform someone (my wife usually) that I'm off my planned course, or OK but behind schedule, might save a call-out and someone else putting their life at risk for me.

Because it eases my wifes mind knowing that I can inform her of any problems and could call out help if needed.

We might mock it, but "adventure" often entails putting yourself outwith your comfort zone a little. Waterproofs, spare gloves, a foil blanket/bothy bag, a torch, first aid kit, whistle, map, compass - why bother with any of it, eh? Just wing it or stay in your safe zone.
redefined_cycles

Post by redefined_cycles »

ianfitz wrote:

I have one, although currently with out subscription. Reason being it provides reassurance for wife and family when I’m out, usually alone in remote (by uk standards) places. Personally I’d not bother but consider it a price worth paying to know I’m not causing under stress and worry to my loved ones.
Would totally agree with this (maybe thats why Spot are happy to try and gouge everyone) and being remote places on own was one of the reasons why I gave up on trying to complete the 100 climbs list (by Simon Warren)... Mainly it was Bealach Ne Baa up at top of Scotland that made me throw in the towel as it can get pretty scary up in the tops and on own!!

Point of mentioning above and the 100 climbs is that it was all road climbs so if BBs are venturing off grid its even more vital that you and your loved ones know you are safe... Hence why i came to the tough decision to not try and go off road in remote wilderness on own (after briefly toying with the idea of entering the BB200 or similar!
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

BB200 wouldn’t be so bad as one is seldom alone ....unless last.

And given many of us carry a SPOT / inReach someone would be able to call for assistance.

Though, as mentioned, I believe there is no mountain rescue in Wales.
pistonbroke

Post by pistonbroke »

Could have fooled me, I give you Llanberis MR with helicopter from RAF Valley
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

pistonbroke wrote:Image
Could have fooled me, I give you Llanberis MR with helicopter from RAF Valley
Non for mid Wales I think he means as it's either Llanberis or Brecon MRT.
That's an old photo anyways as the RAF sar seakings were retired 3 years ago but you would've known that anyway, wouldn't you?