SPOT Tracker Renewal Fees - Being Gouged?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Taylor

Re: SPOT Tracker Renewal Fees - Being Gouged?

Post by Taylor »

:-bd
Just sent a message via the contact page. I'll wait with baited breath.
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Isabelle is the one you want to speak to, no messing, €57 off the renewal price, no arguments.
Thanks for the address of Isabelle, Colin.
Still no reply from the contract form on the website though.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I let my lapse. And I can get the 143euro deal but you have to pay activation fee again and taxes on top. Ends up at 190 euros.

We need to find a discount code that works as there were some giving 50% off.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Might be worth contacting them as a group, I'm guessing there's quite a few subscribers/ex subscribers on here to put together a bearbones discount.
barney

Post by barney »

Mine is up in a couple of months, I wonder how a group discount would work... assuming Stu would let us "borrow" the name
Wait for me...
Taylor

Post by Taylor »

Had a phonecall from Louisiana on the way into town this evening, it was support replying to my original contact from last night.
They offered me the newbie rate of €143.
€57 off again, worth asking for. (About £49 at today's rates)
stevewaters

Post by stevewaters »

Just noticed that Protegear are now offering for InReach devices daily tracking (Euro 2.95) or 4 x Weekends (Fri-Sun) tracking (Euro 19.95) in addition to 7 day tracking (Euro 14.95) and monthly tracking options. You can keep it completely dormant or on a basic SOS plan between these plans:
https://www.protegear.de/english/dataplans-for-inreach/
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I've emailed and asked to be moved to the Flex Plan, pay the €25 initial charge and then be 'mothballed' until we're allowed out again. It may be I have to pay the first month €15 before pausing it. It's then €15 for a month's subscription, so I'd expect €45-60/year. That I can live with.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Got my reply to the above:

"Thank you for contacting SPOT Customer Relations.

At this time we can switch you over to the flex plan, however, those fees would still apply by doing this change. At this time we can waive the activation fee and first month of service. This would be a refund of the charges back to the card once we complete the request of the change.

However, since you are dealing with the Covid-19 we can also offer to waive three months of service on your current subscription."

I'm switching to Flex, so €25, then €15/month, but will suspend service after first (free) month. Can be turned back on for the months when I want to use it.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

.Thank you for contacting SPOT Customer Relations.

Please advise if you would like us to switch you to the flex plan now and pay the charges now or if you would like to wait closer to your renewal date. Please be advised that the amount that you will need to be charged is €59.85 plus VAT. But, we will refund the amount of €34.90 plus VAT.
So £25ish plus VAT to move to monthly plan. Can live with that.
ZeroDarkBivi

Post by ZeroDarkBivi »

Sounds like you are having more joy than me. I just tried to suspend my annual subscription until the pandemic situation was resolved, and got a moronic email back that only indicated they had not read my simple request... are you using the standard customerservice@findmespot email address?

Almost as annoy as trying to set up my new Garmin Edge! I can understand why people usE Wahoo’s, even if the functionality is really basic - simplicity & reliability are king.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Yeah, I emailed customer services, but they replied from CustomerLoyalty@findmespot.com
I used that from then on. Good luck. I've found that something along the lines of "I logged on to cancel my subscription, but noticed the Flex Plan. If this can be.........................if not please cancel my plan." works best.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

I've sent them the following, will see what happens.

Hello,

Customer Number: CUSTXXXXXXXXXX
ESN: 0-XXXXXXX

I would like to have my service suspended due to the Coronavirus pandemic. Currently in my country we are required to stay at home and also cannot leave the country. Therefore I am unable to use my spot device. Please can you suspend my service for the next three months.

Many thanks in advance for your assistance with this.
dlovett

Post by dlovett »

It’s not possible to suspend it. You can cancel with no refund or they have offered a free extension if three months as that is how long I asked to suspend it for. I guess that’s better than nothing.
barney

Post by barney »

just spoken to them now, I think I've been lucky as for the past two years my fee has only been 92 euros inc. VAT.

my account is up in May and I told them that with Covid 19 I didn't want to pay in May, they said fine so have given me an extra 3 months on my contract and my new renewal date is beginning of August.

They said though that I couldn't have the same extra discounts 3 years running so it has now gone a bit to 102 euros.

I'm happy with that so I'll stick with them for another year I guess.
Wait for me...
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

My Spot renewal is due but I thought I'd delay as I'm very unlikely to need it for a while. I know some have had issues trying to cancel the contract but there's now a handy link on the Account page, so no need for a call etc.

I might look at the monthly option again later next year if the opportunity arises whereby the tracking option once again becomes desirable.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

The monthly option has been good. Initial £25 I think (I got something discounted for already being signed up). You can the turn it on/off on the account page.
AlasdairMc

Post by AlasdairMc »

We’ve not heard a moan about Spot for a while, but I’m considering reactivating mine for an imminent (non bikepacking) trip. I’d switched it off at the start of the lockdown, as I had no reason to keep it active.

Turns out the activation fee is per service contract, not per device, which is putting me off the idea overall. I’d have thought Spot might have improved their service in light of a competitor emerging, but sadly no…
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

SPOT...fix their service....no. Not their way.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

AlasdairMc wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 1:46 pm Turns out the activation fee is per service contract, not per device, which is putting me off the idea overall. I’d have thought Spot might have improved their service in light of a competitor emerging, but sadly no…
Why bother with them?

Go to Protegear. Stellar service, extremely responsive and loads of options for any way/intensity of sat comm use.

I've been a customer for some years now and find the experience wonderful.

I guess their website could see some improvement, but otherwise really, really good.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

All their plans are in Euros so we have additional transfer costs [ and risks with interest rates] and last year Garmin were cheaper than them for my Inreach - but i was not very bothered about tracking - if you want tracking it is cheaper than Garmin - massively so.

Will be doing the maths again soon

EDIt:
Go to Protegear.
Do they bill monthly or daily for the cheapest option? A live Basic - do you know

Wonders to self how easy it is to set up a Euro account