OR Helium Bivvy

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

SimpleSi

OR Helium Bivvy

Post by SimpleSi »

Heading up for a run at the HT next week, just read Chris Hopes write up and Im having midge based nightmares.
Was just planning on tarping with a SOL bivvy sack to keep moisture off the bag and then going for a head-net if the midges are bad.
The OR seems a better option for midge defence but it didn't get rave reviews for breathability or keeping moisture out.
What say you experts?
Simple
ScotRoutes

Re: OR Helium Bivvy

Post by ScotRoutes »

Metalheart has one. Hopefully he'll see this thread and respond but I'm not aware of any issues.

Rab Ascent not an option? Mine works fine.
metalheart

Post by metalheart »

I've not had any problems with mine but I've only used it a couple of times so far.

It's roomy enough for a FF like me and it allows me have my exped mat inside the bag. It's also reasonably light and packs up small. I prefer to supplement it with a tarp though to allow me to leave the top 'open' as I believe that's when condensation is likely to occur (to be far, I suspect this applies to pretty much any bag, no?).

To be honest I bought it after Greg Mays pretty positive comments on it, especially after his TDR last year. Maybe he'll chip in with a more experienced comment...
Give the dirt a little room.
wingnut

Post by wingnut »

Might be better off with something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEMO-Meta-1-P ... SwXY5ZVDfP
Fat tyre kicker

Post by Fat tyre kicker »

That's a good price for Nemo gear, top notch kit, I've looked at them myself :-bd
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I had a Nemo Meta for a short while - sold it on the classifieds simply as it as too much like my Lunar to warrant keeping. Very nice bit of kit.
May the bridges you burn light your way
SimpleSi

Post by SimpleSi »

Thanks for the advice, I have got a one man tent I could take but is a little bulkier than I would like. Think I might just have to keep riding or get chewed!!
Simple
mtbmarkymark

Post by mtbmarkymark »

Re Nemo meta 1P.
I bought it off Bearbonesnorm. The Meta is a good strong tent but i too went to a lunar solo chasing a weight saving. I use the lunar in good weather and the fly / footprint ( leaving the inner at home ) of my other tent in windier stuff.
PJG

Post by PJG »

SimpleSi wrote:Heading up for a run at the HT next week, just read Chris Hopes write up and Im having midge based nightmares.
Was just planning on tarping with a SOL bivvy sack to keep moisture off the bag and then going for a head-net if the midges are bad.
The OR seems a better option for midge defence but it didn't get rave reviews for breathability or keeping moisture out.
What say you experts?
I've had an OR helium since Dec '16, and I used it on the HT550 this year.
Midge defence was excellent - there were thousands of midges on the HT, and the net kept them out.
Breathability seems good to me, as long as you can keep the bag open - but this is the only bivi I've used, so have nothing to compare it to.
I've only slept in significant rain once, zipped the bag up, and it got quite moist inside from condensation. No problems with rain getting in as far as I could tell.

I ended up fashioning an elastic guy that would
a) hold the hoop vertical and
b) allow me to hook the waterproof cover onto the guy - thus making the bag mostly rainproof without zipping it completely shut (hard to describe, and I don't have any pictures of it in action !!)

If I was going to go tarp + bivi, then I'd go for something significantly lighter than the OR helium (Maybe a Borah ?). My other sleeping option is a 1kg 1-man tent, so for me, the helium bivi only makes sense when used on it's own.
KamelTrek

Post by KamelTrek »

I recently used one instead of my terranova laser tent and very pleased with the results. Had one night in rain and stayed dry. The net is a welcome feature to keep the bugs out. Some condensation as to be expected but nothing problematic or over the top.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

*waves*

Used on on TDR and a few other races. Never had condenstation issues if you pitch it smarty. Poles broke, outside of warranty time, OR sent me a new one. Can't argue with them. Excellent company to work with. Would recommend, five stars, excellent sellar (sic) !!!!11111 etc etc.
PJG

Post by PJG »

GregMay wrote: Never had condenstation issues if you pitch it smarty.
Hi Greg,
Please could you expand on what pitching smartly means - to educate a bivi novice ?
Cheers,
Pete
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

PJG wrote:
GregMay wrote: Never had condenstation issues if you pitch it smarty.
Hi Greg,
Please could you expand on what pitching smartly means - to educate a bivi novice ?
Cheers,
Pete
Head into/angled across light wind so as to inflate, rather than compress the bivi with wind pushing over the tail of it.

Think like a hot air baloon. If you inflate it,the wind moves through/in it and moves the moist air about, and out.

Different if it is chucking it down, then I tend to ride until it stops, or I find somewhere to crash under if I'm not carry a tarp - which is 90% of the time.

(awaits Stu ranting about bivi and no tarp - which I agree with - and have a Silwing for when riding socially and I want to stay dry )
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

(awaits Stu ranting about bivi and no tarp - which I agree with - and have a Silwing for when riding socially and I want to stay dry )
Past caring :wink: ... I did make a Spinnaker 'half tarp' last week that offers enough coverage to cook under, store gear and will keep you dry from the thighs up. I recall it was sub-100g.
May the bridges you burn light your way
SimpleSi

Post by SimpleSi »

Hmmm can I justify another £130 when I already have two other bivy bags?
Simple
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Nah, don't worry. Make a small loop that'll fit in and you'll be reet.