bikepack expeditions

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

windjammer

bikepack expeditions

Post by windjammer »

i feel the need to get away to further places around the world,my life is quite simple no kids or mrs to think off,house paid off and self employed work in abundance, maybe its time to change my life and start to travel.i was wondering if there was a website that offers group starts on expeditions like the colorado trail,baja divide,any help appreciated thanks matt
Bearbonesnorm

Re: bikepack expeditions

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Do you mean a list of ITT Matt or organised trips?
May the bridges you burn light your way
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

If it's adventurous holidays you're after, you could look at KE Adventures and Exodus.

I'm sure there's way more out there but these spring to mind
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

Maybe organised trips abroad I just feel the need to explore
Pirahna

Post by Pirahna »

I did see a supported Great Divide ride, it was over £10k end to end. If, like me, you're not into racing then you'll either need a riding partner or be comfortable with your own company. There's lots of stuff out there, you'll meet people along the way, do whatever time and money allows.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

If you feel the need to explore, then a supported trip might limit you if you want to do something in particular? And ITTs focus on finishing quickly, not necessarily exploring (though you could use the route)

How much time do you have? Have you got a continent and a budget in mind?

How about Tour Aotorea? (sp?)
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Matt, have you considered doing something like the Torino-Nice? Certainly not an 'organised' trip by any means but chances are you'd probably have company should you fancy. You'd get some great riding, proper big hills and views to match and it needn't cost that much to do.
May the bridges you burn light your way
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

go to new zealand, ride your bike, meet great folk, drink beer, camp, stay in huts, cartch a bus, swim, read books etc etc, its the perfect combination of wilderness and civilisation, plus theres nowt there that will kill you (animal wise I mean)
Tonto

Post by Tonto »

Hi Matt, I am planning to do the gr5 from Bourg to Nice next year, you are welcome to join me.
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

SteveM wrote:go to new zealand, ride your bike, meet great folk, drink beer, camp, stay in huts, cartch a bus, swim, read books etc etc, its the perfect combination of wilderness and civilisation, plus theres nowt there that will kill you (animal wise I mean)
i think you hit the nail on the head,new zealand is just like england but with warmer weather,thanks for the post
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

benp1 wrote:If you feel the need to explore, then a supported trip might limit you if you want to do something in particular? And ITTs focus on finishing quickly, not necessarily exploring (though you could use the route)

How much time do you have? Have you got a continent and a budget in mind?

How about Tour Aotorea? (sp?)
time= maybe a month over mid december/mid january 2018

continent= no snakes,spiders, lions,tigers.

budget= 3-5k

just want to ride my bike,camp out,take great photos,meet nice people,help less fortunate people have a better life,make people smile
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

Bearbonesnorm wrote:Matt, have you considered doing something like the Torino-Nice? Certainly not an 'organised' trip by any means but chances are you'd probably have company should you fancy. You'd get some great riding, proper big hills and views to match and it needn't cost that much to do.
i did put my name down for the deux b-tards event but its cancelled,still want to do a long trip first 2 weeks in september

i organised a tour du mont blanc ride last year that i completed in 6 days and had the time of my life

at this moment in time i feel like i dont have a purpose in life other than going to work for 5 days and riding my bike for 2 days,i wish it was the other way round

what kind of person goes on long distance bike rides
windjammer

Post by windjammer »

Tonto wrote:Hi Matt, I am planning to do the gr5 from Bourg to Nice next year, you are welcome to join me.
cant we do it this year,i enjoyed your company on the jenn ride
Tonto

Post by Tonto »

Already committed to a morzine trip with non bikeacking group. We should do something UK based later this summer.
jameso

Post by jameso »

Come along on the Torino-Nice if you want to ride 2 weeks in Europe in Sept? It's not hardcore mtb, plenty of social, very un-racer attitudes and you're welcome to ride with our group or tag on with others, loads of bunches formed last year and I met a lot of sound people. :-bd
gairym

Post by gairym »

windjammer wrote:i did put my name down for the deux b-tards event but its cancelled,still want to do a long trip first 2 weeks in september
Yeah, sorry about that! Tis a mighty big shame.

I'd +1 the suggestion of Torino-Nice as it's the beginning of September and is a great route.

Much less tech than the two b@stards but stunning scenery and a great ride.