Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

wriggles

Re: TDR 2017

Post by wriggles »

Fleecer was "interesting" on a laden drop bar fargo :shock:
jameso

Post by jameso »

No flipping way I'd ride fleecer and I'm an idiot when it comes to riding down things I shouldn't on inappropriate bikes.
I reckon on another day you probably would / could. If it's dry that is - in the wet, no chance.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

jameso wrote:
No flipping way I'd ride fleecer and I'm an idiot when it comes to riding down things I shouldn't on inappropriate bikes.
I reckon on another day you probably would / could. If it's dry that is - in the wet, no chance.
Hmm... that's a fair point.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Noticed this morning that Rickie has dropped 75 miles behind Lee overnight. Anybody heard anything? Wonder if she has a problem.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Despite breaking his fork and having to find a replacement, Ben Staerbaut is back in the game and working his way back through the leaders! Currently in fifth not too far behind two riders but 104 miles behind Josh Kato and 150 behind Brian Lucido. Jay Petervary is steaming his way through the field having started nearly 48hrs after the GD.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

Have noticed that the riders are passing through a sheep experimental zone :shock:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Good to hear Ben is back riding. Hopefully he can push on after that bit of rest now.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

voodoo_simon wrote:Have noticed that the riders are passing through a sheep experimental zone :shock:
Wales? :wink:
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Cheeky Monkey

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

whitestone wrote:
voodoo_simon wrote:Have noticed that the riders are passing through a sheep experimental zone :shock:
Wales? :wink:
Nope that's a sheep *entertainment* zone ........... I'll get me coat :wink:
SR

Post by SR »

To be fair Rickie is really quite special when it comes to remembering to check her spot tracker. She was for ever doing it couple of years ago on HT550 :lol:
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

SR wrote:To be fair Rickie is really quite special.
Fixed that for you.

Fond memories of riding the SSWC in Ireland with her dressed as a sheep. Good times.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Lee and Rickie are about to ride up this valley, it's quite stunning.
Blackhound

Post by Blackhound »

Ridden up the valley twicew. The first time it started raining towards the top of the pass and I had to walk through the sage and it took me until 2am to reach Lima.

The second time I was with a small group - including Glen Carter who is racing this year - and we stopped and climbed over a fence to get some shade from the only trees in the area. 2 minutes later a suv showed up and I started thinking about our trespassing and guns etc. A lady got out and asked if we wanted a drink and ten passed each of us a cold tea drink. Lovely. We did 100 miles that day and it was a breeze unlike memories of '11. Hope the racers get the section dry.
Scattamah

Post by Scattamah »

If that's the view looking back from the top of Sheep Creek Divide, right about where the rider is in the picture, is where the trail turned to clag after a great run for me across Bannock Rd/Medicine Lodge Rd in 2014. Clag and sagebrush hopping all the way to the cattle grid. Goopy crap (but not the concrete drive-train eating muck) from the cattle grid until the climb into the gorge at the other side.

Greetz

S.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Yep that's the one Scott. Sounds like I was extremely lucky in 2015. Well, it was ~40ºC, but that's better in my book that gloop and sage hopping. Was easy rolling into Lima from here, apart from the bit of road into Lima that looked so short on the map, went on forever.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Worst. Headwind. Ever.

That is all I remember.

Turning tail at Lima into the sunset after filling up on far too many calories is one of my favourite memories of Montana.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Josh and Ben together. Similar position to when JK started to ride a bit faster in 2015.

Also - Billy Rice is out, pneumonia apparently. Had the luck to meet him and his daughter at Brush MTN last year, bigger than life character in every way. Nice guy, BIG opinions about Guy and his failure to follow the route last year. Among other things.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

GregMay wrote:Turning tail at Lima into the sunset after filling up on far too many calories is one of my favourite memories of Montana.
Oh man, yeah, all the food at Lima, then I also had massive tailwind from Lima to Lakeview where I camped. Such cruise!
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Frontrunners soon getting through the long drag to Pinedale. Not fond memories of that shithole, that's where my credit card got cloned and someone spent £1000 at a clothes store in NYC the day after! Pain the ass.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

I spent a whole 5 hours in Pinedale after renting a room to shower and sweat in. Not a place I'd visit on holiday, but the 24hr store had lots of burritos.
Mart

Post by Mart »

Front 2 are up and running with about a 10 mile gap between them. Another 10 miles back is 3rd places Stephan but his spot hasn't moved yet
Lee and Ricky sitting just outside the Top 10 and JP motoring through the field and will catch some of those ahead of him ... but how quickly??

Im enjoying all this spot watching :-bd
2924 miles per Gallon
NewRetroTom

Post by NewRetroTom »

I actually had a good experience in Pinedale. I had decent beer and food at the Wind River Brewery and stayed at a nice (but quite expensive) motel. I decided to have a bit of a slow start and stuck around for the buffet breakfast which I pretty much demolished on my own.
larsmars

Post by larsmars »

Astounding pace by Stefan Maertens... catching up with Kato after losing (nearly) an entire day to a borked derailleur on the day one.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Lee and Rickie finishing up the Rail Trail now.

ImageRail Trail by Greg.May, on Flickr

Nice drop into Warm RIver - great campsite, cold water, good big toilets, ice cream - then into the blip that is idaho. Squirrel Ranch is a must stop for some fried chicken and Coke. Really beautiful section to ride on your own.

ImageWarm River by Greg.May, on Flickr

Enjoying watching how they go as they are riding to the same pace I was within an hour. Bringing back some strong memories.

Oh, this also means they are going to get f**ked by mossies on the next section. Tight trees, no wind, water water everywhere. Slow big climbs. Then, Wyoming.

ImageWyoming Border with Idaho by Greg.May, on Flickr

Should probably make a campsite in Yellowstone - or if they are spendy, maybe Flagg Ranch. I, was not spendy. Fell asleep in bear country in my bivi while eating a burrito.
mountainbaker

Post by mountainbaker »

Snap!

Entering the mosquito forest, and leaving the 'Zone of death'
https://www.sciencealert.com/here-s-how ... e-of-death