New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

User avatar
faustus
Posts: 614
Joined: Fri Sep 07, 2018 4:30 pm
Location: Newbury

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by faustus »

New bag stand-off thing from Restrap. Again, an expensive version of something that already exists, but looks well made and thought out. Going to give one a go, and hopefully it doesn't spin round the steerer tube too much. Without a bag on it makes your bike look like it has an angry robot mouth :wink:

Image
User avatar
fatbikephil
Posts: 4872
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Fife
Contact:

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by fatbikephil »

https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/accessories ... -mm-0-deg/
That restrap one looks like it might be a bit bendy?
User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 22329
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

That restrap one looks like it might be a bit bendy?
I'll let you know - one's just arrived for review but a quick look would suggest it's not bendy.
May the bridges you burn light your way
User avatar
PaulB2
Posts: 1571
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:32 pm
Location: Stafford

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by PaulB2 »

Talking of not very cheap, I've been looking for a downtube bag for the MTB and these look like they have potential: Tailfin V-Mount Pack
User avatar
GregMay
Posts: 3539
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:57 pm
Location: Calderdale
Contact:

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by GregMay »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 10:20 am Plastic screws are cheap as chips. Or a wee dod of silicon sealant in the hole
I've always just used Vasaline!
Image
benp1
Posts: 3901
Joined: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:36 pm
Location: South Downs

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by benp1 »

That restrap things looks useful for sus forks. Not bendy is good, is it heavy instead though?
Johnallan
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 11:07 am

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by Johnallan »

That restrap thing looks perfectly placed to whack your top tube if your bars spin around for whatever reason
User avatar
fatbikephil
Posts: 4872
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Fife
Contact:

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by fatbikephil »

What I thought, although it will not be a problem if you've a bar roll strapped on. Just seen it's steel not alloy so bendiness less of a problem. Thorn accessory bracket much lighter
User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 22329
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The DD Bikepacking tarp. Really, if you pitch it like that then it's a waste of material.

Image

Image
May the bridges you burn light your way
User avatar
psling
Posts: 1373
Joined: Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:36 am
Location: Forest of Dean

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by psling »

Unless you're a mermaid. But then how would you ride the bike..? :???:
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
User avatar
RIP
Posts: 7425
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: Coasteering The Cliffs Of Crackpottery Since 1959
Contact:

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by RIP »

Sidesaddle Peter, obviously :smile: . Saves a crank and pedal too. Pink water bottles fit the mermaid narrative anyway (I know, I know, sexist comment of the day etc etc). But yeah they don't seem to have quite twigged the point of a tarp do they.

Image
"My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

Reg: "What's the worst that could happen?", MuddyPete: "Nothing".

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster
jameso
Posts: 4447
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by jameso »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jun 19, 2022 5:12 pm
Image
What's the rear lifter line attached to, a fence 500m away? :)
Been thinking about going back to bike supported tarps again after a couple of nights under the Gatewood last week (good but just a tad small or low for me when it's damp from condensation). But probably not one like that.
User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 22329
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'm pretty sure it ^ could be set up so much better. My thoughts are:

1/ It actually looks a bit too long. Shorter would help with point two.
2/ If it had short lines fitted to the corners it could be pitched a little higher which would make it much more livable.
3/ If the bike were turned 90 degrees then you could lose some of the support straps as the bike would be far less inclined to roll.
4/ The addition of a pole at the rear would likely sort everything out.
5/ If you actually want a tent, then buy a tent. :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
User avatar
ScotRoutes
Posts: 8072
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 am
Location: Cairngorms
Contact:

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by ScotRoutes »

I was just looking at the locations and thinking (1) East Lothian and (2) The Pentlands, but couldn't quite pin them down.
User avatar
Boab
Posts: 1517
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Contact:

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by Boab »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:19 am I was just looking at the locations and thinking (1) East Lothian and (2) The Pentlands, but couldn't quite pin them down.
I was thinking Fife for #1...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
User avatar
fatbikephil
Posts: 4872
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Fife
Contact:

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by fatbikephil »

Boab wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:50 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:19 am I was just looking at the locations and thinking (1) East Lothian and (2) The Pentlands, but couldn't quite pin them down.
I was thinking Fife for #1...
Yup - looking west and upstream to the bridge. Dalgety bay beach I think (although it's not glowing in the dark...)

I'd say the DD superlight tarp is a pretty good bikepacking tarp :grin:
User avatar
Alpinum
Posts: 2322
Joined: Thu Mar 06, 2014 5:38 pm

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by Alpinum »

jameso wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:11 am What's the rear lifter line attached to, a fence 500m away? :)
It's actually attached to the bicycle in the photo.

After running once around Earth.
User avatar
Boab
Posts: 1517
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Contact:

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by Boab »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:48 pm
Boab wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:50 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:19 am I was just looking at the locations and thinking (1) East Lothian and (2) The Pentlands, but couldn't quite pin them down.
I was thinking Fife for #1...
Yup - looking west and upstream to the bridge. Dalgety bay beach I think (although it's not glowing in the dark...)
Nah, that bit of the beach is out of sight of the bridges. Looks it's a bit further round towards Aberdour to me...
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
User avatar
fatbikephil
Posts: 4872
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Fife
Contact:

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by fatbikephil »

Boab wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:45 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:48 pm
Boab wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:50 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:19 am I was just looking at the locations and thinking (1) East Lothian and (2) The Pentlands, but couldn't quite pin them down.
I was thinking Fife for #1...
Yup - looking west and upstream to the bridge. Dalgety bay beach I think (although it's not glowing in the dark...)
Nah, that bit of the beach is out of sight of the bridges. Looks it's a bit further round towards Aberdour to me...
Might actually be Silver sands at Aberdour - not sure I'd be bivvying there either - buckfast bottles instead of radioactive aircraft dials :grin:
rudedog
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:00 pm
Location: Lothian

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by rudedog »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:19 am I was just looking at the locations and thinking (1) East Lothian and (2) The Pentlands, but couldn't quite pin them down.
Pretty sure 2 is from the summit of west kip looking towards east kip with Scald law and then Carnethy hill behind (south black hill will be to the right)
rudedog
Posts: 457
Joined: Sun Sep 04, 2011 9:00 pm
Location: Lothian

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by rudedog »

fatbikephil wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:40 pm
Boab wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:45 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:48 pm
Boab wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:50 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:19 am I was just looking at the locations and thinking (1) East Lothian and (2) The Pentlands, but couldn't quite pin them down.
I was thinking Fife for #1...
Yup - looking west and upstream to the bridge. Dalgety bay beach I think (although it's not glowing in the dark...)
Nah, that bit of the beach is out of sight of the bridges. Looks it's a bit further round towards Aberdour to me...
Might actually be Silver sands at Aberdour - not sure I'd be bivvying there either - buckfast bottles instead of radioactive aircraft dials :grin:
I think it might be from Burntisland.
User avatar
Boab
Posts: 1517
Joined: Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:36 am
Location: Cloud Cuckoo Land
Contact:

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by Boab »

rudedog wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:14 am
fatbikephil wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:40 pm
Boab wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 5:45 pm
fatbikephil wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 2:48 pm
Boab wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:50 am
ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 9:19 am I was just looking at the locations and thinking (1) East Lothian and (2) The Pentlands, but couldn't quite pin them down.
I was thinking Fife for #1...
Yup - looking west and upstream to the bridge. Dalgety bay beach I think (although it's not glowing in the dark...)
Nah, that bit of the beach is out of sight of the bridges. Looks it's a bit further round towards Aberdour to me...
Might actually be Silver sands at Aberdour - not sure I'd be bivvying there either - buckfast bottles instead of radioactive aircraft dials :grin:
I think it might be from Burntisland.
I did initially think Kinghorn, just not sure about the angle. Haven't been on any beaches around Burntisland since the early mid-nineties... 🤷
I just know it's not The Bay, as that's where I grew up.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
User avatar
Shewie
Posts: 528
Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2019 5:27 pm
Location: Leeds
Contact:

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by Shewie »

jameso
Posts: 4447
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:48 pm

Re: New Bike Gear Out And Due Out...

Post by jameso »

Alpinum wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:12 pm
jameso wrote: Mon Jun 20, 2022 5:11 am What's the rear lifter line attached to, a fence 500m away? :)
It's actually attached to the bicycle in the photo.

After running once around Earth.
Very good : )
Reminded me of that book I loved as a kid -
How far will a rubber band stretch (How far off is my tarp line fixed)
Image
Post Reply