OT: Opinions, Hillieberg Soulo owners

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

GregMay

OT: Opinions, Hillieberg Soulo owners

Post by GregMay »

I'm about to buy myself a present. It's to spend some inheritance that came from the blue as well as get something, worthwhile, to remember my father and to prep for a winter ML down the line. I need something to replace my long suffering, and frankly dead, Trango 2.

Probably red label, but I can afford black financially, not sure if worth the extra mass.

I'm looking for blunt opinions from any owners. Positive and negative. Of how the tent performs in the likes of the Cairngorms and suchlike. Both in normal and inclement weather. Walking, touring, not bikepacking. I have a Nordisk Lofoten for that. And a Telemark for racing/fastpacking.

I am open to opinions on other Hillieberg tents, but the Akto does not fit the weatherproof system I'm looking for.
lune ranger

Re: OT: Opinions, Hillieberg Soulo owners

Post by lune ranger »

The Soulo is an amazing tent. Worth every penny.
I have one and used it for all my long cycle tours across 3 continents, from deserts to mountains.
It is strong and reliable and a very good size for prolonged living. It is truly free standing so I never had any trouble pitching it on sand, ash or snow. You can’t go that with an Acto.
The only downside that I can see is that it is heavy and bulky by modern standards, compared to the BIg Agnes tents for example. I really don’t think they can be as strong as a Soulo though.
I only used mine in heavy snow a few times and it was fine with only a little bit forming on the roof and needing to be cleared off.
If you want something strong and reliable. Go for it.
Last edited by lune ranger on Sun Nov 28, 2021 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
Dean

Post by Dean »

I have the Allak 2 which I use with a buddy and on my own. On my own it is a hefty tent to carry (Soulo red label is 1kg lighter). Quick to go up all in one as you can peg the corners and guylines out, dump your bag inside to weight it, then put the poles in after. If I had the chance to go back I would probably have gone for the Soulo instead of the Allak for that weight saving. The only time I have used it in proper awful weather and when I got out in the morning I was blown over by the wind as I did not know how strong it was from how little the tent was moving from inside.

The Big Agnes Copper Spur Expedition 2 looks a decent tent (lower price, more internal room, better ventilation) and it is actually the same weight but it goes up inner first, the fly does not reach the ground and it has a much bigger footprint. In terms of "I need shelter now" in winter I would go Hilleberg.

Note: remove the metal zip pulls and replace with cord pull loops; there are so many zips the tent resonates with the sound of wind chimes!
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

My mate has a Saulo and I have a copper spur ul1.
On milder nights he's too hot whilst I have great ventilation. On nights around 2-6 degrees he's woken up soaked from condensation. Below zero or in high winds I expect he'll have the last laugh.
lune ranger

Post by lune ranger »

rollindoughnut wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:51 am My mate has a Saulo and I have a copper spur ul1.
On milder nights he's too hot whilst I have great ventilation. On nights around 2-6 degrees he's woken up soaked from condensation. Below zero or in high winds I expect he'll have the last laugh.
Your mate can’t be using the available ventilation correctly then. There’s no reason for what you describe and it’s certainly not my experience in the 3 or 4 hundred nights I’ve slept in a Soulo.
If you are going through hell, keep going.
WSC
rollindoughnut

Post by rollindoughnut »

Yeah, he's only had it a few months. He'll get to know it.
ripio

Post by ripio »

Had one about ten years ago, but didn't like it after a few trips.
Too much faff to put up compared to what I was used to (hilleberg Stalon).
Pole sleeves and clips, then the canopy, then excessive guy lines (no doubt necessary in extreme weather)
The internal room was small for the weight.
The door opening irritated me as it felt wrong compared to what I was used to.
Ended up selling it and getting a hilleberg hallo 2 instead.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Keep the info coming folks!

I don't want inner first - we're not in a dry climate, I want up - safe - dry - in. My Trango 2 was utterly bombproof, used in the Alps in winter, Scotland, and I lived in it (literally) for three months in Canada. But, the inner first pitch irritated me so much!

I've considered a Nallo. It's something that may also work, but the cross over design of the Soulo attracts me from a snow loading point of view.
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

GregMay wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 10:48 pm I'm looking for blunt opinions from any owners. Positive and negative. Of how the tent performs in the likes of the Cairngorms and suchlike. Both in normal and inclement weather.
I think HB is overrated.

A top of the line Keron collapsed once in a stormy night and once thanks to 30 cm of wet snow (was up a mountain so wasn't able to shake the tent). In both cases the tent needed replacing, snapped poles and ripped fabric. I nearly died in that stormy night. Was my rope partners tent, so I wasn't bothered about the damage. Yes, a Keron isn't the ideal choice for the Alps (as a basecamp tent), yet other tunnels went through the same and didn't fail (eg preproduction Lightwave Arctic).

I've had many tents in similar or worse conditions, yet most faired better. Obv. n=1, but one of a few reasons to keep me clear from HB.

There are many other tents at a different price, which too come from Eastern Europe.
The fabrics HB use are very standard and many tent manufacturers provide details HB lacks - of course a personal thing.

I could go further into details, but you asked for blunt opinions.

Just get a compact and simple dome tent with a vestibule with good and many tie down points and strong poles. Point one of the rear corners into the wind.
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

I don’t have a Soulo but I have a couple of Hillebergs. I also have a few other tents (3 Vaude, 1 wildcountry, 1 Golite, 2 Saunders, 1 MSR, 2 Vango, 1Jack Wolfskin) by way of comparison.

Based on my experience, I think they are great tents. I tried a tent from a maker that was kind of placed in the market as a Nallo rival/alternative/improvement. It had several problems and in the end I sold it and bought a Nallo GT… which was much better.

I know the Nallo is not a take less stuff bikepacking tent and is an old simple design but it just works. It’s great for sea kayaking.

The materials may not be unique but they are very good. I have an MSR tent which is fine, but it is getting tired after relatively little use. I think a lot of the very light American tents are really well designed but are so light that they are almost disposable. A few years of UK use and they will start the creak at the seams. The Hilleberg fly sheets aren’t PU coated like most American brands so won’t go sticky and the groundsheets are properly waterproof.

I expect my next tent will be some kind of ‘Mid’ but I’d use that in a different way to my Hillies.
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

Gian - always value your input, you know that :)
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Was considering such a tent for bikepacking with my partner.
Figured we don’t need “bombproof”, so lighter and cheaper might be available.

Anyone experience of the MSR Access 2?

Designed for ski touring, so could be ideal for bikepacking and backpacking we do.

Light
Spacious enough for two
Packs small
Don’t mind inner pitch first.

https://www.msrgear.com/ie/tents/all-se ... 13132.html

Can’t find many reviews.
Tempted to get one to try.
Even have permission from the purchasing committee. 😂😂🥳
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Asposium wrote: Wed Dec 01, 2021 6:22 pm Was considering such a tent for bikepacking with my partner.
Figured we don’t need “bombproof”, so lighter and cheaper might be available.

Anyone experience of the MSR Access 2?

Designed for ski touring, so could be ideal for bikepacking and backpacking we do.

Light
Spacious enough for two
Packs small
Don’t mind inner pitch first.

https://www.msrgear.com/ie/tents/all-se ... 13132.html

Can’t find many reviews.
Tempted to get one to try.
Even have permission from the purchasing committee. 😂😂🥳
Looks very similar to the Hubba Hubba from a size and materials POV. Different pole set. The Hubba Hubba was very spacious but that was about its only good point. Dreadfull for condensation although this was in the Pacific Northwest in autumn. Worst thing was that water pissed in through the floor everywhere. It was possible to put it up outer first with the addition of an MSR groundsheet. Very fussy to get set correctley and the cross pole on top made it near impossible in windy conditions. Returned it for a refund and bought a Hilleberg Anjan 2 , which while far from perfect, I'm very happy with.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Looks like the main difference between the Access and the 3 season tents like the Hubba Hubba is much less mesh on the inner. We've the Big Agnes version, the Copper Spur, got it as it has more headroom than the MSR tents which were just a little short for me to sit up in.

They all use a central cross pole to give near vertical side walls so are much of a muchness, just the minor details to differentiate them.

Not used ours in really rough weather so don't know what it's like in high wind.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry