If you've got a phone - answer it.

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Bearbonesnorm

Re: If you've got a phone - answer it.

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I still don't get why you all won't answer your phone it's 10 seconds then hang up if its pointless/spam.
Me neither. Seems weird to have an expensive communication device and largely avoid using its primary function :wink:
May the bridges you burn light your way
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Lazarus wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 10:51 am
. my previous reply there needs to be a means of providing local MRT numbers that can be added to your contacts list or for them not to be blocked
Or you could just answer/not block numbers which is an extremely simple solution to the problem which is created by your decision ( no offence meant there ).
I still don't get why you all won't answer your phone it's 10 seconds then hang up if its pointless/spam.
Because it's the same as responding to spam emails, answering the call validates your number and also indicates to the scammers that you are more likely to fall for a scam and your number gets added to a suckers list that gets sold on. If your number appears "dead" then it's less likely to be used in the next round of scams.

In fact when I'm out riding I'll turn my phone off - it's not calls that deplete the battery but the cold and potential loss of signal - if I get into difficulty then I'll turn it on because I need it to be on.

As Colin says - the guy (I'm assuming it's a guy) didn't know that anyone was looking for him. He perhaps *should* have thought "I'm two hours overdue, the hotel might have contacted SRT so I'll unblock unknown callers in case they try to ring" but as the team noted, in times of stress not everyone thinks logically.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
TheBrownDog

Post by TheBrownDog »

whitestone wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:12 pm Because it's the same as responding to spam emails, answering the call validates your number and also indicates to the scammers that you are more likely to fall for a scam and your number gets added to a suckers list that gets sold on. If your number appears "dead" then it's less likely to be used in the next round of scams.
Exactly this. It's not an actual genuine Mauritian Prince calling, it's a big machine that is using lists of numbers garnered from various sources, sold to companies for marketing purposes. That's bad enough, but even more insidious are the power dialers that just dial numbers in order. They call thousands at a time and if you answer your number is immediately flagged as legitimate, and you then get the pleasure of more and more calls from these dirt bags.

I think the point made earlier that it might be the NHS or your kid's school calling. My recent experience is that they both always leave a message as it's an actual genuine person on the other end who wants to speak to you. At least, that's my thinking.
I'm just going outside ...
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

.answering the call validates your number
Ringing does that and I am not convinced that answering and hanging up gets you added to a list of gullibles..
It just surprised me how many have a phone to not answer it and how many will not answer but then bother to check their answerphone.Surely its quicker to answer and hang up and it means you actually get to speak when it is important.
FWIW same phone number for 20 years ish and near zero spam( blocked 2 numbers in 3 years ) perhaps hanging up gets you off lists ?
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 11:20 am
Me neither. Seems weird to have an expensive communication device and largely avoid using its primary function :wink:
The primary function of my communication device isn't talking. I'd say that in any month I spend less than one hour on voice calls of any kind. In fact, it might well be half that.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

The primary function of my communication device isn't talking. I'd say that in any month I spend less than one hour on voice calls of any kind. In fact, it might well be half that.
Surely the primary function of any telephone is that of a telephone, although you may choose to use it differently :wink:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:31 pm
Surely the primary function of any telephone is that of a telephone, although you may choose to use it differently :wink:
Nope. If you are limiting your definition of "telephone" to a device enabling spoken communication then you really need to get with the program grandad.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Nope. If you are limiting your definition of "telephone" to a device enabling spoken communication then you really need to get with the program grandad.
Give over, until they stop calling them 'mobile telephones' then that's what they are :wink:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

.I spend less than one hour on voice calls of any kind.
You could easily change that by answering it :wink:
tobasco

Post by tobasco »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Thu Oct 28, 2021 5:59 pm
Give over, until they stop calling them 'mobile telephones' then that's what they are :wink:

Nah, they are soooo much more than a means of voice comes now, they are called smart phones for a reason. Sideways anecdote. My 80 yr old MIL took to smart phones in their early days, so when the comma apps like WhatsApp came along she was able to keep in daily contact with her geographically remote kids and grandkids. When she became deaf, the smart phone was a lifeline to her family. When she went into an assisted living place full of old farts, many of them had not moved with the times and were envious of her daily contact with kids and grandkids. Keep up or drop off the back.
Rob S

Post by Rob S »

The best way to get rid of the scammers IS to answer them. You listen patiently for a couple of minutes, then when they ask for your insurance policy, bank details or whatever they're asking for, you say "OK, won't be long" and put your phone to one side. They realise after 10 or 15 minutes and start swearing down the phone. This means you've won!
These people are at 'work' and on commission and you've just wasted their time! Appreciate it's not always convenient to do this, but they soon get the message.

Agree phones are definitely not just phones anymore. I work on a big site and if I'm setting up some equipment I've got all the manuals I need in my pocket. If I need a part I can check stock there and then, answer emails etc. Couldn't do my job without it.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »