Daft Question - Easton Toplock Stem

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Cheeky Monkey

Daft Question - Easton Toplock Stem

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

So I picked up an EA50 with a bit more rise to try on the Goldrush after changing my bars.

The stem has TopLock which apparently, unlike all other stems I've ever used, means doing the bolts up differently (i.e. not in an X pattern) - top two to pull together the interface between faceplate and boom and then bottom two to provide grip to secure the bars.

Now, markings on the faceplate's inner indicate what is "top" and it's assembled to install with negative rise. I'm going to flip it for positive rise which, if I leave it as it is, will make the "top" bottom :???: .

My ridiculous question is, do I rotate (i.e. turn it upsidedown or rather topsidetopagain) the faceplate or leave as is?

This is possibly the silliest question of the day / week / month / ever. TBH I'm curious as I can't *see* a difference that would force one alignment or the other. I'll just fit it with good ole comon sense and an eye for whether it looks out of whack or not. There are no markings or shaping of the interfaces to indicate the boom has a specific "top".

Still, I don't want it to burst into fire, crash and die so, y'know, asking for a friend etc etc :cool:
Dyffers

Re: Daft Question - Easton Toplock Stem

Post by Dyffers »

I don't have an Easton but I have another brand that's like this as, AKAIK, you flip the stem body but keep the 'locking' faceplate the same way up whichever way the stem is mounted ie always do the top bolts up fully then finish tightening the bottom bolts.

HTH
Cheeky Monkey

Re: Daft Question - Easton Toplock Stem

Post by Cheeky Monkey »

For anyone that cares or is curious I flipped the stem (positive rise) and mounted the FP with the markings indicating "top" at the top. Fiery death has not ensued :cool: