Why eTrex Over Edge?

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Chrisps

Why eTrex Over Edge?

Post by Chrisps »

Random question; why do eTrex devices get so much love? They always come up as the recommended device for nav, but I can't really see their advantage over the Edge devices.

I have had an Edge 810 that I picked up years ago second had for about £80 in a silicone case and it, and its internal battery are still going strong, despite numerous smashes (normally as a result of a rubbish mount). Its been in horrific weather, its touchscreen works fine in the rain and its quite a bit lighter and less bulky than an eTrex.

The advantage often quoted of eTrex devices are AA batteries. But the power to weight on NiMH rechargables is rubbish compared to Lithium ion batteries in the Edges. Also, the 1100mAh Lion in my Edge lasts about 10hrs (110mA/h).... an eTrex with 2x2400mAh Eneloop Pro lasts maybe 16hrs. (300mA/h), so more spare charge capacity is needed. Also, as the edges charge pretty fast, I personally I find it far less faff to plug my Edge into a battery pack at lunch and dinner stops than faff around with switching batteries to charge. I get that you can use Lithium AAs, but that's an expensive hobby!

Finally, despite breaking multiple "Garmin twisty mounts," I still prefer them to the sliding mount used by the eTrex, which I find bulky and a bit unreliable (I've got a Gamin Oregon that uses the same mount - bought it for hiking years ago, before I got into bikepacking).

Sorry, totally random brain dump, but spent many hours on the Lakeland 200 with this question going round and round in my head!
Jurassic

Re: Why eTrex Over Edge?

Post by Jurassic »

For me it's simply the fact that I already had an Etrex20 that I bought for hillwalking and canoe sailing navigation. It works fine for me for bikepacking as well but if it died I would probably look at a higher spec Edge to replace it simply for the more modern features (particularly connectivity with other devices, I have to plug the Etrex in to my laptop to upload GPX files to it). I agree that the Garmin Etrex mount is poor, I use a RAM mount with it in the canoe but put up with the crappy Garmin mount on the loop section of my bars. Battery life with the Etrex 20 is superb (probably due to the lack of flashy features), I can get a couple of days riding out of one set of Eneloops as long as I remember to turn it off overnight.
I have an Edge 130 Plus as well that I use as a bike computer but it has no base map and only gives breadcrumb navigation (which I find okay for road/gravel day rides).
Last edited by Jurassic on Sun Aug 01, 2021 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

AA means no need for a battery pack
16 hours means most folk can do a weekend without spares
Cheaper
I have no idea why you think charging twice per day is less faff than changing batteries every two days.

EDIT I use the ram mount on the bike and store a spare set of batteries within it
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Aside from the AA battery thing, there used to be lots of stories about Edges crashing / freezing or just misbehaving. I'm not saying I'd choose an eTrex in particular but the Garmin 'outdoor' gps seem to give little trouble than the cycling edge units.
May the bridges you burn light your way
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

I’ve gone full Edge now. With battery pack I can get nearly 4 days out of my 530. It is rock solid reliable and interfaces very well with my phone.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Chrisps wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:15 am Random question; why do eTrex devices get so much love? They always come up as the recommended device for nav, but I can't really see their advantage over the Edge devices.
No idea. I've been a happy Edge (8XX) user for about 6 years in which I needed reliable GPS devices and all's been well. Using my Edge with the spider web app, still going strong.
Have realised that over the years the battery has lost some of its original capacity, after a bunch of years of regular use, 'till not so long ago practically daily, so tons of charging.
Chrisps wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:15 am Finally, despite breaking multiple "Garmin twisty mounts," I still prefer them to the sliding mount used by the eTrex, which I find bulky and a bit unreliable (I've got a Gamin Oregon that uses the same mount - bought it for hiking years ago, before I got into bikepacking).
I use the original mount that can be strapped with the two provided rubber rings, goes around large carbon tubes, even a Thomson stem and handlebars (obv.) and like how it gives way upon impact.

I used to crack the mount on my former eTrex when getting wild, after the 2nd break of the battery compartement I had had enough of it.
Lazarus wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:30 am AA means no need for a battery pack
Very important in times when just about everyone uses smartphones and many other devices which have USB ports of some sorts. :wink:

I quite enjoy travelling through remote places without a bag full of AA and AAA, but just one battery pack and, if the trip is long enough, a dynohub or small panel (when not riding).

Love how I can transfer routes with Garnin Connect from different apps on my smartphone etc.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Now that the battery life is significantly improved, it's Edge all day long for me (literally).

I do still carry a rechargeable battery for it, but that weighs less than the batteries in a Etrex anyway.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

A few years ago the feature sets on the Edge series and the Etrex/Oregon models was quite different but they seem to have converged quite a bit over the years.

I've an Edge 520 and an Oregon 600. The Oregon is my preferred bikepacking model: it's a better screen; having multiple maps isn't a problem; scrolling and zooming the maps is easy; good battery life (20hrs or so with care). Downsides are: it's big, well massive!, doesn't connect via bluetooth.

I'll use the 520 for road rides and to record rides that I know where I'm going, usually because I haven't swapped the Oregon mount over to that bike. Limited maps (you have to go to Garmin's site, pick out the tiles you want to use, "generate" your map, download it, swap the one currently load out for the new one. It usually connects to the phone so once I save a ride it gets uploaded automatically. It's new enough to be able to install Connect IQ apps - the newer Oregon models can do this as well.

My wife has an Edge 800 and an Oregon 700. I really don't get along with the 800, the screen is hard on my eyes for some reason, might just be an age thing (both me and the device :lol: ), the newer models seem much better.

As for having to plug the unit into a computer to upload files, not really a problem since I usually do that anyway to charge it.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Already covered I think...

Edges have historically been a lot more buggy than the Etrex/Oregon.

Not everywhere has suitably located cafes.

Oregon has a bigger screen so you can see more of the map.

If you're into multiple sports/activities then the Etrex/Oregon handle those better.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

I have an edge 1030 and an Oregon 700

Of the two prefer the edge.

However, the Oregon is “nicer” to use.

Edge has a bigger screen
Oregon seems more responsive for scrolling maps.

The latest firmware for the edge highlight the GPX route and adds direction arrows; useful when a routes cross itself.

Edge will last approx 20hrs on a single charge.

Oregon is vastly cheaper; have seen for ~£170 on eBay.

On both I do wish the screen lock would fully disable the touch screen.
Both are a pain in the arse in the rain.

Interestingly the Oregon 700 is now discontinued.
Hopefully Garmin will jump on the bikepacking bandwagon and realise a new Oregon that is the b@stard child of an edge and hiking GPS.
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Asposium wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:58 pm On both I do wish the screen lock would fully disable the touch screen.
Is that still an issue? Annoying.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

Richard G wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 3:21 pm
Asposium wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 2:58 pm On both I do wish the screen lock would fully disable the touch screen.
Is that still an issue? Annoying.
Oh yes.

And it is damn annoying.

Put up with it as otherwise having a touchscreen is very useful.
How hard could it be that locked means the touchscreen does absolutely nothing?

On the edge it is possible to still swipe left and right for alternate data screens.
Work around there is one data screen only. Hardly useful.

On the Oregon it beeps and informs the touchscreen is locked; yes I know.
Turn off the beep, as that for 20hrs on a bb200 is rather annoying (being polite. :lol: )
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

Ha, I've lost my sense of humour after having heard other people's Garmins beeping for a number of hours. :lol:

Silence is golden.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

I’ve an Etrex 20 and an Edge Explore. I use the latter more but still tend to pick the Etrex for multi-day off-road trips, partly because of battery life/replacability and partly because I have OS maps on it.

The phone connectivity is a major plus for the Edge, and the main reason I use it most often.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Have both - oregon and edge

But if I was replacing now with one I'd go with an oregon because I can use it for walking. But for cycling only use, the edge has better mount options
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Interesting thoughts - sounds like maybe there isn't as much eTrex love as I thought!

On the touchscreen issue though, Garmin must have changed their units, because my 810 is a resistive touch, so works fine in the wet / with gloves etc
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I quite enjoy travelling through remote places without a bag full of AA and AAA, .
I bet you do. Tbh what with the power bank , the cables,the solar panel , the USB device for the dynamo and all those devices to power you probably don't have the space :wink:
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

I've had both for a few years, much prefer the Edge tbh. Switched up to an 830 (from an 810) last year and it's superb. If you don't constantly faff with it you should get a full day out of a charge, and it's super quick to charge.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

FWIW the Oregon has a built in battery charger so you still have the option of recharging the AAs from mains or power supply.
Asposium

Post by Asposium »

ScotRoutes wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 3:29 am FWIW the Oregon has a built in battery charger so you still have the option of recharging the AAs from mains or power supply.
And using a thin piece of card / or metal the Oregon will recharge non Garmin branded batteries
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Lazarus wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 11:30 am I bet you do. Tbh what with the power bank , the cables,the solar panel , the USB device for the dynamo and all those devices to power you probably don't have the space :wink:
In fact, no, they don't. They don't take the space and a much, much lighter.
Firstly, read my post again before trying to use it for your argumentation. When riding it's my dynohub only. When hiking the trip needs to be longer than 3 weeks (with no charging option) before I bring along the solar panel.

Secondly, indeed, it does take far less space and weighs only a fraction.

You spend enough time on here to realise when I write remote I may not mean a 5 day trip through Scotland or a 4 day trip through Wales. Here it's easy; 1 x 30 g charger, about 3 g short usb cable, 5000 mAh battery pack, GPS, phone. Done.
I bet you bring all this... including half a dozen AA.

When I write remote I think about places with no socket for many days to weeks. I know how many batteries I needed to bring along for a multiweek trips with no charging options from outside. No matter what types of batteries.
Here again, easy:
9 g usb cable, GPS, phone, hub and 150 g dyno charger (has a 2400 mAh battery included). If I take my proper camera along, I even get to charge this from the dyno charger. Oh... and the Inreach and camp torch. All can be charged from the dyno charger.

So... now how many batteries do you bring along if you have 36 days inbetween towns? And then you likely need different types for your GPS, torch, camera etc.
:wink:
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

I though the wink would have been sufficient for it to be clear it was just a jokey comment - it was either funny or it was not funny - so my bad if offence was taken and it was not intended.

FWIW i have a dynamo hub, power bank, solar panel [ free loader - poorish IMHO but old, and a USB AA battery charger that runs off the power bank for the GPS
Clearly as remote as you go and as long as you go batteries would make no sense

| have a sinewave beacon I dont really have a decent USB only device If i did i would get the one you use* based on what you have said about it

* I cannot spell it though.
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Alpinum, are you using an edge for walks as well?

I use my oregon for walks and have used it for motorbiking as well. I cycle a lot more than I walk (in terms of GPS usage) but the walks are regular enough that a GPS is really useful
Richard G

Post by Richard G »

I've used an Edge for walking. Doubt it would survive a drop, but with me that's more likely to happen on the bike. ;)
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

Lazarus wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:54 am I though the wink would have been sufficient for it to be clear it was just a jokey comment - it was either funny or it was not funny - so my bad if offence was taken and it was not intended.
Aha.
Haha.
No offence taken.
benp1 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:57 am Alpinum, are you using an edge for walks as well?
Nope. GPS is only a backup on hiking trips. I use the one in my smartphone and watch (and in a lesser degree Inreach Mini).
I like to use proper maps and compass for walks (if available/self printed - on Tyvek preferably). No AA nor batteries packs needed.
But I've used the Edge for hiking too (like going up some mountains to which I cycled to) and not much to say, but that it worked well. I have it setup up for two types of use, riding and hiking and switch between them when needed.