Big Agnes tent experts......

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

boxelder

Big Agnes tent experts......

Post by boxelder »

I'm after a lightweight, well featured tent I can backpack in Northern Britain with (March-Nov), but is small/light enough to carry on the bike. I have a Trekkertent Stealth, which I really like, but couldn't live with when backpacking, as you spend a lot more time in the tent, cooking etc. With the space Big Agnes tents appear to have, I may go 2 person (the weight/bulk penalty doesn't seem huge). Which to go for though.......
Tiger Wall, Fly Creek or Copper Spur?
Is the only differences with the Bikepacking versions, shorter pole sections, carry bag and some extra gear hanging bits?
Not that there are many in stock anywhere.
Anyone selling one?
rollindoughnut

Re: Big Agnes tent experts......

Post by rollindoughnut »

I can only comment on what I have which is a copper spur ul1
It's superbly constructed and I love it. Tons of space to sit up inside and it's nice to have different flap options depending on wind direction etc.
I believe the fly creek is end entry so more constricted and doesn't have the small cross strut so the roof is more tapered.
I wouldn't want the 2 person version, seems unessesary as I have room for my bags and me in the one person.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I know Dave has one and would appear to love it - literally I believe.
May the bridges you burn light your way
benp1

Post by benp1 »

Your understanding of the bikepacking version is similar to my limited one. There is something nicer about being in a tent than a tarp when the weather is rubbish

I think Bob and Cath have a Big Agnes tent they use for some of their bikepacking trips. Not sure if this works on the forum...? @Whitestone
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:31 am I know Dave has one and would appear to love it - literally I believe.
You are right. I’m just back from a trip in the Scottish mountains and used my Fly Creek UL1. Kept the wind and midges out with room for me to sit up and also a big vestibule for my rucksack and boots. The only downside is that you have to put the inner up first which could be a problem in heavy rain as you’ll get some damp on the floor.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Thanks folks. I think I'd go for a Tiger Wall, but they don't do a 1 person bike version. Copper Spur UL1 bike is looking best just now. I know Alan G rates his Fly Creek Dave.
The only downside is that you have to put the inner up first
- If they can be pitched in 'fast fly' mode, it's surely possible, if necessary, to pitch the fly and clip the inner in later.
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

boxelder wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 7:19 am Thanks folks. I think I'd go for a Tiger Wall, but they don't do a 1 person bike version. Copper Spur UL1 bike is looking best just now. I know Alan G rates his Fly Creek Dave.
The only downside is that you have to put the inner up first
- If they can be pitched in 'fast fly' mode, it's surely possible, if necessary, to pitch the fly and clip the inner in later.
The poles locate in the inner eyelets so I'm not sure how this works?
sean_iow

Post by sean_iow »

A quick google suggests that you need the footprint and the outer clips to that... but if it's connected to the footprint then there's be no way connect the inner, so I think it's one or the other, fast-fly or with the inner.
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Aargh big post from phone went awol :???:

As Ben says we have the Copper Spur UL2. Lots of room due to near vertical side walls plenty of headroom for me at 1.80m to sit up.

Not tried outer first pitching but it looks awkward due to the cross pole clipping into both inner and outer
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

I’ve done outer first with my BA copper spur and its not a bother - you do need the additional ground sheet to hold the pole ends though (you could probably DIY your own).
Dave Barter

Post by Dave Barter »

That's what I thought. You can't do it without footprint and TBH I did not need it in the places I camped.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

Sorry double post
Last edited by Tomwoodbury on Mon Jun 14, 2021 2:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tomwoodbury

Post by Tomwoodbury »

I have the copper spur UL2 (non Bikepacking specific) and it’s great for two people as there are two doors and vestibules. It’s very light but a tad bulky as the poles fold to about 42cm.

Worth the premium for the bikepack version mainly because you get more options as to what part of the bike you put it.

I could be tempted to part with mine as it won’t be used again this year (just short trips with bivvy planned) and I can wait for the Bikepacking specific one next year.
Chrisps

Post by Chrisps »

Out of interest, do Copper Spur owners have issues in high wind. For car camping we have an REI Half Dome, which is similar. But I took it to the Arctic once and it was awful in the wind unless the non door sides were perfectly angled into the wind.

I always thought any tent of that sort of design would be similar, but interested if BA have somehow avoided the problem...
Hamish

Post by Hamish »

The Copper Spur looks, superficially at least, similar to the MSR Hubba Hubba. Does anyone have experience of both? I have a Hubba Hubba HP and it is OK in wind but not brilliant and it’s not that light. I like it but the groundsheet seems like it may be starting to go tacky and was thinking of a BIg Agnes as a possible replacement.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Hamish wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 9:30 pm The Copper Spur looks, superficially at least, similar to the MSR Hubba Hubba. Does anyone have experience of both? I have a Hubba Hubba HP
We looked at a Hubba Hubba, what swung it was that the Copper Spur has more headroom so I can sit up in it without brushing my head on the ceiling (I'm 1.80m tall). Other than that I think they are pretty much identical in terms of layout, susceptibility to wind, etc.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Bumpy Jonas

Post by Bumpy Jonas »

ericrobo

Post by ericrobo »

Having more money than sense in September I went for the Fly Creek HV UL 1 (carbon fibre) and super light…. And super expensive.

I liked it. First night out on the Mary Townely Loop it rained all night with strong winds, but the tent was secure and I was bone dry and snug and warm.

On my fourth pitch (a local bivvy) I discovered a tear in the very lightweight flysheet… (carbon fibre is supposed to be very strong )

It was caused because the reinforcement patch on the flysheet did not line up properly with the apex of the pole, at the front.

I had already complained to BA about this, and requested repair patches so I could strengthen it… all this before I had used it.

But no patches were sent.

I also have a MLD Trailstar and there are several layers of dyneema where the pole meets it.

The Fly Creek needs to be the same.

I told this to Big Agnes (via Ultra Light Outdoor Gear). They said it was due to use !!! After 4 nights !!!

So as far Big Agnes are concerned in my view they are not a reputable company.

All credit to ULOG though, because they gave me an E-Voucher for the value of the tent.

I now have an MSR Carbon Reflex 1.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

I hiked through California with a mate who used a BA Fly Creek. He hated it and returned it for a refund before we'd even gone 300 miles. It regularly got flattened if the wind shifted and he described it as " only being good for keeping him wet regardless of the weather" so badly did it suffer from condensation. It wasn't as bad as my Hilleberg Enan though. Now that really was a P.O.S.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

On my fourth pitch (a local bivvy) I discovered a tear in the very lightweight flysheet… (carbon fibre is supposed to be very strong )
It's a sub 600g tent - did you seriously think it was going to be strong? :shock:

Anyway, isn't it the poles that are carbon and the fly Dyneema?
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

I've ordered a Copper Spur UL1 (non bikepack) as it's on free returns. Realised the poles I've been using on the Trekkertent are 42cm and never had an issue with them on bar roll or in frame bag. It's lighter than the bikepack (I don't need the strappy carry bag) and £70 cheaper.
Here is one
https://www.pushbikegirl.com/review-big ... t/?lang=en
I'm not planning months of endless abuse/use and pretty sure malaria or desert silt won't trouble me in Northern Britain. Would have preferred a non orange colour, but never mind.
It's so close to Trekkertent in weight/size, I'll sell that I think.
Anyone after a lightly used Stealth 1 with quality pegs and Easton Alu poles? I can make short stack poles too, as have a spare.
Mr conners

Post by Mr conners »

I'd get a Tyvek groundsheet if your not focused on weight saving. The bottom of the tent is gossamer thin and although its pretty tough, it is prone to wear.