HT550 2021

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Post Reply
boxelder
Posts: 735
Joined: Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:05 pm

Re: HT550 2021

Post by boxelder » Sat May 15, 2021 3:15 pm

I appear to have remembered the password for the Twitter account. I'll be on and off updating as usual.
Great - Richard Wilson's starting an ITT today. Can you remind him to pack a pump. It would be somewhat annoying to get to the far end of Loch Lyon and then realise you'd left it in the car.
Too late............. :roll:

robbie
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: HT550 2021

Post by robbie » Sat May 15, 2021 5:10 pm

boxelder wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 3:15 pm
I appear to have remembered the password for the Twitter account. I'll be on and off updating as usual.
Great - Richard Wilson's starting an ITT today. Can you remind him to pack a pump. It would be somewhat annoying to get to the far end of Loch Lyon and then realise you'd left it in the car.
Too late............. :roll:
I don't know if I'd laugh or cry!
Did he go back or risk it to the bike shop at Laggan wolftrax?

User avatar
Richpips
Posts: 1710
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Peak District

Re: HT550 2021

Post by Richpips » Sat May 15, 2021 5:10 pm

robbie wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 5:10 pm
boxelder wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 3:15 pm
I appear to have remembered the password for the Twitter account. I'll be on and off updating as usual.
Great - Richard Wilson's starting an ITT today. Can you remind him to pack a pump. It would be somewhat annoying to get to the far end of Loch Lyon and then realise you'd left it in the car.
Too late............. :roll:
I don't know if I'd laugh or cry!
Did he go back or risk it to the bike shop at Laggan wolftrax?
He went back for it. :-bd

robbie
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: HT550 2021

Post by robbie » Sat May 15, 2021 5:20 pm

Where u following him?

User avatar
Richpips
Posts: 1710
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 2:57 pm
Location: Peak District

Re: HT550 2021

Post by Richpips » Sat May 15, 2021 5:32 pm

robbie wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 5:20 pm
Where u following him?
Facebook

User avatar
ScotRoutes
Posts: 7219
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 am
Location: Cairngorms
Contact:

Re: HT550 2021

Post by ScotRoutes » Sat May 15, 2021 6:42 pm

boxelder wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 3:15 pm

Great - Richard Wilson's starting an ITT today. Can you remind him to pack a pump. It would be somewhat annoying to get to the far end of Loch Lyon and then realise you'd left it in the car.
Too late............. :roll:
I don't believe it!

ton
Posts: 1770
Joined: Mon Oct 26, 2015 9:53 am

Re: HT550 2021

Post by ton » Sat May 15, 2021 7:15 pm

old ones are the best Colin.......... :lol:

User avatar
elliptic
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:27 pm
Location: Strathspey

Re: HT550 2021

Post by elliptic » Sat May 15, 2021 7:31 pm

Richpips wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 5:10 pm
robbie wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 5:10 pm

I don't know if I'd laugh or cry!
Did he go back or risk it to the bike shop at Laggan wolftrax?
He went back for it. :-bd
Good thing he did, the bike shop at Wolftrax isn't there any more...! (It's in the process of relocating to Kingussie high street.)

User avatar
htrider
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Fife
Contact:

Re: HT550 2021

Post by htrider » Sat May 15, 2021 7:35 pm

ScotRoutes wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 6:42 pm
boxelder wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 3:15 pm

Great - Richard Wilson's starting an ITT today. Can you remind him to pack a pump. It would be somewhat annoying to get to the far end of Loch Lyon and then realise you'd left it in the car.
Too late............. :roll:
I don't believe it!
:-bd
Memo to self. Write list of stuff to take. Tick off when putting on bike. Remember to put bike in car.
I am reminded of Gary Thompset in 2014 who arrived in Tyndrum without his bag of riding gear - clothes, lid, gloves, waterproof. Managed to blag everything on the morning of the start and survived the very wet Sunday with a plastic cape.

robbie
Posts: 400
Joined: Fri Jun 05, 2015 4:22 pm

Re: HT550 2021

Post by robbie » Sat May 15, 2021 7:43 pm

elliptic wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 7:31 pm
Richpips wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 5:10 pm
robbie wrote:
Sat May 15, 2021 5:10 pm

I don't know if I'd laugh or cry!
Did he go back or risk it to the bike shop at Laggan wolftrax?
He went back for it. :-bd
Good thing he did, the bike shop at Wolftrax isn't there any more...! (It's in the process of relocating to Kingussie high street.)
That's a shame but good to know.

User avatar
Karl
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jun 28, 2014 12:27 pm
Location: Northern Peak District
Contact:

Re: HT550 2021

Post by Karl » Mon May 17, 2021 1:21 pm

For the riders, anyone up Friday (I'm there from Thursday evening) I'll be going out for a gentle ride. No specifics, probably head to a cafe/pub etc. No specific start time, only be an hour or 2 max. I'm staying in the Pinetrees but i'll be around Tyndum (probably the real food cafe) if I'm not there. Shout up if your interested.

AndreR
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:49 pm

Re: HT550 2021

Post by AndreR » Mon May 17, 2021 2:24 pm

Is there a "Dot Watchers" thing for the terminally lazy to watch progress etc?
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.


User avatar
stevewaters
Posts: 216
Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:23 am
Location: Dark Peak

Re: HT550 2021

Post by stevewaters » Mon May 17, 2021 9:34 pm

Karl wrote:
Mon May 17, 2021 1:21 pm
For the riders, anyone up Friday (I'm there from Thursday evening) I'll be going out for a gentle ride. No specifics, probably head to a cafe/pub etc. No specific start time, only be an hour or 2 max. I'm staying in the Pinetrees but i'll be around Tyndum (probably the real food cafe) if I'm not there. Shout up if your interested.
Hi Karl - I'm interested ! - I have messaged you about this. Cheers.

User avatar
Mart
Posts: 1567
Joined: Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:57 pm
Location: Oot 'n' aboot

Re: HT550 2021

Post by Mart » Mon May 17, 2021 10:05 pm

I’m travelling up Friday - should be there around tea time :-bd I’m stoping at ‘‘By the way’
My ‘Coors’ van will be hard to miss, if you see me and I don’t know you, please come and say hello
2924 miles per Gallon

Taylor
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:27 pm
Location: Brizzle
Contact:

Re: HT550 2021

Post by Taylor » Tue May 18, 2021 6:36 am

Don’t know if anybody’s put two and two together but there’s NATO war games around the Irish Sea so there’s going to be times where they’ll jam gps signals.

Don’t rely on GPS on these dates and times if you are in the area.

Dates, Times and Location

2.1 Date:
11-13 May, 18-20 May, 25-27 May (Specific dates to be notified by NOTAM).

2.2 Location:
Jammers will be located within 250 M from Lat/Long 520828N 0043415W.

2.3 Time:
The jamming will be limited to the hours of 1400 – 1600 and will take place within a one hour window.

2.4 Duration and Pattern:
Individual jamming activity will take place within a one hour window and will not last longer than 6 minutes, there will be a maximum of 6 occurrences per hour and a minimum of 10 minutes between the end and start of transmissions.

http://www.nats-uk.ead-it.com/aip/curre ... hQqhVPmbto

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-l ... ke-warrior

User avatar
sean_iow
Posts: 3476
Joined: Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:08 pm
Location: Isle of Wight

Re: HT550 2021

Post by sean_iow » Tue May 18, 2021 7:46 am

I wonder how they jam the signal? I could ask my friends who design our military radar but I'm guessing they won't (cant) tell me.

Assuming they can't turn the satellites off? and looking at the description of the affected areas it looks like it's line of site from a jamming transmitter? So might only be an issue on the coast if you can see out to sea? So you'd be ok down in a Glen and sheltered by the mountains?

Luckily the HT550 is one of the easiest to navigate routes so hopefully this news won't panic anyone :wink:
Adventure without risk is Disneyland - Bikemonger

Taylor
Posts: 3247
Joined: Sat Jun 18, 2011 9:27 pm
Location: Brizzle
Contact:

Re: HT550 2021

Post by Taylor » Tue May 18, 2021 9:42 am

If I've read it right the jamming is coming from Aberporth and should be quite weak by the time it reaches HTR land so shouldn't be a biggy. It's only going to be intermittent too.
That's not to say that the ships taking part in the exercise don't have the ability to jam signals to hide themselves and it'll be an all round jam rather than a directional.

AndreR
Posts: 100
Joined: Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:49 pm

Re: HT550 2021

Post by AndreR » Tue May 18, 2021 9:44 am

Top man thanks for that :-bd
If at first you don't succeed you're running about average!

Introverts Unite! We are here, we are uncomfortable and we want to go home.

User avatar
Wotsits
Posts: 1171
Joined: Fri Oct 25, 2013 6:49 pm

Re: HT550 2021

Post by Wotsits » Tue May 18, 2021 11:36 am

Wasn’t there a similar NATO exercise during a BB event a few years ago that played havoc with everyone’s gps?
Ever Feel Like You're Being Orbited?!

User avatar
Borderer
Posts: 1447
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:59 pm
Location: Scottish Borders
Contact:

Re: HT550 2021

Post by Borderer » Tue May 18, 2021 4:31 pm

woodsmith wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:47 pm
OBH wasn't open to non residents last year. Can't see any change to that on their website.
No, they wouldn't serve us, even outside last year, but a friend has just come back from there and they said they got served outside, so it seems that is an option this year.

touch
Posts: 260
Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:11 pm
Location: Highlands

Re: HT550 2021

Post by touch » Tue May 18, 2021 4:59 pm

The Kylesku hotel has also been bought over recently. Not sure if that'll change anything - it looks like they're trying a seamless changeover, there's no mention of new owners on any social media or their website so maybe intending to continue things without much change.

https://www.northern-times.co.uk/news/n ... rs-236790/

User avatar
Chicken Legs
Posts: 473
Joined: Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:49 am
Location: Mid Essex

Re: HT550 2021

Post by Chicken Legs » Tue May 18, 2021 5:48 pm

Borderer wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:31 pm
woodsmith wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:47 pm
OBH wasn't open to non residents last year. Can't see any change to that on their website.
No, they wouldn't serve us, even outside last year, but a friend has just come back from there and they said they got served outside, so it seems that is an option this year.
This is what OBH said,

Hi yes we are open I will have a small menu running for them for mostly take away foods, snacks and drinks, our bar is small so eating in is not going to be easy booking preferred.

"Them" = HT Racers
"What is man but the sum of his memories"

User avatar
htrider
Posts: 3790
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:51 pm
Location: Fife
Contact:

Re: HT550 2021

Post by htrider » Tue May 18, 2021 6:50 pm

Chicken Legs wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 5:48 pm
Borderer wrote:
Tue May 18, 2021 4:31 pm
woodsmith wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 5:47 pm
OBH wasn't open to non residents last year. Can't see any change to that on their website.
No, they wouldn't serve us, even outside last year, but a friend has just come back from there and they said they got served outside, so it seems that is an option this year.
This is what OBH said,

Hi yes we are open I will have a small menu running for them for mostly take away foods, snacks and drinks, our bar is small so eating in is not going to be easy booking preferred.

"Them" = HT Racers
Nice one. One less dried meal to take with me then! Although serving times are limited for bar menus - up to 6.45pm??
Achness hotel not clear as there website is 'under construction'
Kinlochewe hotel looks like pre book only. Poolewe hotel not really saying whats what.

User avatar
thenorthwind
Posts: 1612
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:07 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: HT550 2021

Post by thenorthwind » Tue May 18, 2021 8:09 pm

Looking at the preview on dotwatcher, it looks like the "fast" group is going to be set off last... is that right? It's going to be about two minutes before it's one big group again!

Post Reply