Am I right in thinking that ....

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

SeannyD
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:27 am
Location: Dalgety Bay, Fife

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by SeannyD » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:22 am

BigdummySteve wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:47 pm
SeannyD wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 11:15 pm
Too much relying on the vaccine being a panacea,
Well if it isn’t we’re f****ed, by June everyone will be vaccinated. My industry has been decimated by this thing, I’ve spent the last year constantly looking at redundancy while going through a divorce, sometimes I see only a shopkeeper during a week.
I’ve ridden my bike twice since Christmas.
Much as I dislike Boris and his cronies I think he’s got it right, we’re still looking at four months at best.
Some of us really need some leeway, even if it’s only being allowed back out to the hills.
Today’s news has really cheered me up, don’t piss on me chips.
Not wishing to piss on yer chips, like I said I hope I’m wrong. I just don’t want to us to fall spectacularly at the final fence. Given what’s happened so far, the potential to F*** up all the efforts to eradicate Covid is still there.
People are getting vaccinated thinking thats it I’m free, but you’re not, till at least 3 weeks plus a second dose (depending on what you have)
I feel for you regarding work and life, my wife’s business is/was weddings, damn near killed our relationship too.
It’s just Sh*t and I want this done right and if it means an extra month, I’ll take it..
‘Ca Canny’ as they say here.

SeannyD
Posts: 253
Joined: Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:27 am
Location: Dalgety Bay, Fife

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by SeannyD » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:24 am

Apologies for being a grumpy c***


User avatar
Bearbonesnorm
Posts: 19997
Joined: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:53 pm
Location: my own little world

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by Bearbonesnorm » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:47 am

If folk are gonna crack on regardless then any date is irrelevant
True but I can't see the governments of Wales or Scotland having any real choice in the matter ... not unless they put hard borders in place.
What value a life half lived if the half you lived was the wrong half?

User avatar
whitestone
Posts: 6311
Joined: Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:20 am
Location: Skipton(ish)
Contact:

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by whitestone » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:45 pm

Reading the summary of the proposed dates on the BBC site then the earliest date we are likely to be allowed to go for a bivy is the 12th April (assuming all goes well).

Looks like the 17th May for anything like an organised event given that concerts and similar may be allowed by then.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry

User avatar
JohnClimber
Posts: 3159
Joined: Fri Feb 17, 2012 10:41 pm

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by JohnClimber » Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:55 pm

An easy guide for England
Image

Cheers Reg, see you in the pub :-bd

User avatar
RIP
Posts: 5565
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:24 pm
Location: Seat 23 (window, facing), Coach H, 08.05 Leighton Buzzard - Euston
Contact:

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by RIP » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:42 pm

Yes I thought you'd like that timeline :smile: . Very simple and easy to understand for little bears like us!
"My God, I'm two-thirds of the way to the grave and what have I done?" - RIP

"It is in the petty details, not in the great results, that the interest of existence lies" - JKJ

"At least you got some stories" - James Acaster

tobasco
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by tobasco » Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:45 pm

You missed out step 5 John, July-21, fourth lockdown due to increasing numbers ;) :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Verena
Posts: 375
Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:22 am

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by Verena » Tue Feb 23, 2021 3:01 pm

Thanks John, that's made it much clearer now :-bd

User avatar
In Reverse
Posts: 1463
Joined: Mon Oct 12, 2015 9:08 pm
Location: Manchester

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by In Reverse » Tue Feb 23, 2021 4:49 pm

Bearbonesnorm wrote:
Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:30 pm
a night out will be okay from April 12th or maybe March 12th or possibly May 12th? :???:
Are we talking about a night out or a night out?

User avatar
Jurassic
Posts: 772
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:46 am
Location: Helensburgh, Scotland.

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by Jurassic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:44 pm

I'm quite disappointed with the Scottish announcement today. I get the whole being cautious thing but I can't help thinking that it's based more on not being seen to be copying England (which would be politically unpalatable for the SNP) than it is on hard evidence or figures. The only glimpse of hope is that she said that she may accelerate things if circumstances allow. Irrespective it means that the two periods of time off work that I've booked between now and the end of April are likely to be a waste of time (local riding and trail maintenance is beginning to get pretty stale now). Maybe I'm just being a brat, dunno.

User avatar
ScotRoutes
Posts: 6744
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 am
Location: Cairngorms
Contact:

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by ScotRoutes » Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:55 pm

Jurassic wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:44 pm
I can't help thinking that it's based more on not being seen to be copying England (which would be politically unpalatable for the SNP)
I'm sorry, but I'm calling that out as absolute bollocks. And I'm no supporter of Nicola Sturgeon.

User avatar
Jurassic
Posts: 772
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:46 am
Location: Helensburgh, Scotland.

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by Jurassic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:10 pm

ScotRoutes wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:55 pm
Jurassic wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:44 pm
I can't help thinking that it's based more on not being seen to be copying England (which would be politically unpalatable for the SNP)
I'm sorry, but I'm calling that out as absolute bollocks. And I'm no supporter of Nicola Sturgeon.
Fair enough, we're all entitled to an opinion.

tobasco
Posts: 114
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:06 pm

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by tobasco » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:35 pm

Jurassic wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:44 pm
but I can't help thinking that it's based more on not being seen to be copying England
I can understand why someone may think that, but to be fair, many of the changes NS to BJ decisions over the last year re COVID have proven to be better decisions. I don’t believe there’s evidence to back your assertion.

User avatar
Jurassic
Posts: 772
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:46 am
Location: Helensburgh, Scotland.

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by Jurassic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:53 pm

tobasco wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:35 pm
Jurassic wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:44 pm
but I can't help thinking that it's based more on not being seen to be copying England
I can understand why someone may think that, but to be fair, many of the changes NS to BJ decisions over the last year re COVID have proven to be better decisions. I don’t believe there’s evidence to back your assertion.
Oh absolutely, I'd much rather have her in charge then BoJo. My thoughts weren't based on any personal political views (I regard most of them with similar levels of contempt) , just an observation on the nature of politicians and their reluctance to acknowledge that anything on the other side of the political fence has any merit.
They had tiers so we had to have levels............ :roll: :lol:

User avatar
ScotRoutes
Posts: 6744
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:56 am
Location: Cairngorms
Contact:

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by ScotRoutes » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:19 pm

tobasco wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:35 pm
Jurassic wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:44 pm
but I can't help thinking that it's based more on not being seen to be copying England
I can understand why someone may think that, but to be fair, many of the changes NS to BJ decisions over the last year re COVID have proven to be better decisions. I don’t believe there’s evidence to back your assertion.
I'll just leave this here

Image

lune ranger
Posts: 1470
Joined: Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:52 pm
Location: Peoples Republic of Devon

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by lune ranger » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:35 pm

Ye can tek oor lives, but ye cannae tek oor statistics :lol:

User avatar
Jurassic
Posts: 772
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:46 am
Location: Helensburgh, Scotland.

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by Jurassic » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:48 pm

Suppose I just need to be patient (despite the fact that we seem to be doing less badly than down south). :roll:

User avatar
Borderer
Posts: 1371
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:59 pm
Location: Scottish Borders
Contact:

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by Borderer » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:23 pm

I think NS has done remarkably well at not seeking to politicise this. If it has shown her govt in a good light it has been partly because the shower down south are so dire. I am a supporter (and member) of the SNP but I do honestly think this bears up to scrutiny. If Scotland and England are now not too far out of step with each other it is largely because BJ has finally started to show some sense and behave a bit more responsibly. A year too late, but at least he seems to have got there in the end.

Anyway, I am happy that the announcements from both sides of the border this week seem to be holding out hope of an end to all this. I am so ready for it to end.

User avatar
Richard G
Posts: 4074
Joined: Sat Apr 04, 2015 9:09 am
Location: South Wales

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by Richard G » Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:20 am

The biggest concern at this stage with regards to Wales is that people stop following the rules because they thing it's all done with. If we continue to follow the "only doing X once rates are Y" then it would significantly slow things down here.

...and sadly, case rate decreases are already at the point of stalling.

I suspect we'll end up switching to the (new) England method of ignoring cases as long as hospitalisations stay down (by virtue of the vaccine). Fingers crossed that all ramps up again soon after the recent vaccine shortages too.

User avatar
PaulB2
Posts: 1161
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:32 pm
Location: Stafford

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by PaulB2 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:52 am

At the risk of getting even more tangential than normal, I get the theory that cases that don't have any bad side effects aren't a problem but doesn't that ignore the fact that the more cases there are the higher the chance of mutation into a strain that can have bad side effects? I suppose that's how we deal with flu too and we can get any thing up to 20k deaths from that a year.

User avatar
Dave Barter
Posts: 2554
Joined: Sun Jun 16, 2013 6:21 pm

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by Dave Barter » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:07 pm

PaulB2 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:52 am
At the risk of getting even more tangential than normal, I get the theory that cases that don't have any bad side effects aren't a problem but doesn't that ignore the fact that the more cases there are the higher the chance of mutation into a strain that can have bad side effects? I suppose that's how we deal with flu too and we can get any thing up to 20k deaths from that a year.
25,000 road injuries a year but we don't give a flying toss about that. 70,000 deaths due to dementia, no magic vaccine. I suspect it will just fade into one of those stats.
Elite keyboard warrior, DNF'er, Swearer

User avatar
thenorthwind
Posts: 1321
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2016 6:07 pm
Location: Newcastle

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by thenorthwind » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:08 pm

Jurassic wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:53 pm
tobasco wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:35 pm
Jurassic wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:44 pm
but I can't help thinking that it's based more on not being seen to be copying England
I can understand why someone may think that, but to be fair, many of the changes NS to BJ decisions over the last year re COVID have proven to be better decisions. I don’t believe there’s evidence to back your assertion.
Oh absolutely, I'd much rather have her in charge then BoJo. My thoughts weren't based on any personal political views (I regard most of them with similar levels of contempt) , just an observation on the nature of politicians and their reluctance to acknowledge that anything on the other side of the political fence has any merit.
They had tiers so we had to have levels............ :roll: :lol:
I've said the same as Jurassic many times over the past year. You can't prove why someone's made a decision one way or another. A remember several times where an announcement was made for England, quickly followed by an announcement for Scotland that would be different in what often seemed to be a pointed way.

To be fair, doing the opposite of whatever Boris Johnson does seems to be a fairly legitimate strategy.

User avatar
PaulB2
Posts: 1161
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:32 pm
Location: Stafford

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by PaulB2 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:21 pm

Dave Barter wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:07 pm
PaulB2 wrote:
Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:52 am
At the risk of getting even more tangential than normal, I get the theory that cases that don't have any bad side effects aren't a problem but doesn't that ignore the fact that the more cases there are the higher the chance of mutation into a strain that can have bad side effects? I suppose that's how we deal with flu too and we can get any thing up to 20k deaths from that a year.
25,000 road injuries a year but we don't give a flying toss about that. 70,000 deaths due to dementia, no magic vaccine. I suspect it will just fade into one of those stats.
You're probably right, I suppose it'll be just another jab that we need to get every winter along with the flu one.

User avatar
PaulB2
Posts: 1161
Joined: Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:32 pm
Location: Stafford

Re: Am I right in thinking that ....

Post by PaulB2 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 12:24 pm

I trust politicians about as far as I can throw them but I could probably throw NS quite a bit further than Bojo. :grin:

Post Reply