The river/ford/pond/puddle crossing thread

Talk about anything.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

The river/ford/pond/puddle crossing thread

Post by redefined_cycles »

So... I'm asian. Means I've got a fear of water. Goy my swimming certificate grade1 way back when and then 10 years later learnt how to swim proper and can do decent miles/or feet in controlled environments :-bd ...

Anyway. As you might have gathered, its about the big bike rides on here and my main concern is the puddles that have become raging rivers :o

Feel free to not read this next few paragraphs and scroll straight down to put down your 2 or 3 most important advices (based on exp)... It would mean the info is unadulterated and unaffected by the beneath points... Just look for the second dashed lines :wink:
------------------------
What I've gathered so far and mainly from threads on here over the years (feel free to correct me or thrpw on your opinion).

1. Try to keep the bike downstream if its a gushing current. That way you can let go of your trusty iron horse (Stan won't be happy)... (Thanks to Ian Barrington for that)...

2. If theres no other way then go look for a fallen tree thats sits over the ford/river and shimmy across using it (thanks to Javi for showing hows its doen and whoever took the shot)...

3. The wider the berth, the shallower its likely to be (Bob whitestone) and you can either walk the bike across or lift it over head and jump rocks across (not sure I'd fancy this but thanks again Barrington)... which leads me to:

4. I've figured this out all myself. To make sure I've got some grippy flatties (Five10 or similar) so dont get affected by sludgy rocks as much :o (Shafiq... me :-bd )... If anyone has any old flatties to give away or selling cheap then I might be interested...

5. Leg/knee warmers are your friend as you take em off pre crossing and then put back on post crossing (from BoB Whitestone blog somewhere)... Not sure how I feel about this as it feels it'd be a pain getting knee watmers on and off in inclement weather and undoing shoes etc etc and then putting back on the other side... Obviously I have mo exp of raging river crossings in inclement weather :???: ... A complex discussion nonetheless but currently am just thi king it'll just be my trousers rolled up so they dont get too wet... besides, if the weather isnt too bad they should dry off soon after and when it is orrible weather then not much helps really does it :sad: :smile:

---------------------------------------

So... you obviously made it through the maze of bad grammer and sentence-en-ing and over to here. Whats your thoughts/advices...
dlovett

Re: The river/ford/pond/puddle crossing thread

Post by dlovett »

Sounds like you have it sorted with those tips. Can't think of much else apart from if you help another rider through a raging torrent, keep schtum about it like I did from last years bb200 so they dont' get disqualified.
voodoo_simon

Post by voodoo_simon »

I find 99% of the time taking the bridge reduces stress levels by 100% :-bd

Edit
Serious question, deep water, let’s say above the knee, carry bike (this keeping it dry) or push it (thus increasing stability)? Which is best practice?
FLV

Post by FLV »

In the past ive made 2 trips. One with bike and one with bags. This reduces the grabby effect of fast water on a bike with full frame bags etc.
But, you do have to put youself in the water twice.
But, you do have a better chance of keeping your warm kit dry.

I only ever take shoes off to keep them dry if im at risk of freezing my feet once accross and wouldnt otherwise be able to get dry.

If you have a cord (took one purposely on a trip a long time ago that we knew had a lot of crossings) you can chose to have your buddy help you or your bike...
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Here's a little story about crossing rivers, 'tis all true.

I don't know whether the previous night had been the first my companion had spent in close proximity to a bearded stranger but something had made him a little uneasy. Morning unveiled a different character though, perhaps it was the unexpected sun, the mug of Nescafe 3 in 1 I placed by his sleeping bag or maybe, just relief that he'd finally popped his bikepacking cherry? Whatever it was, he appeared far more relaxed and full of enthusiasm for whatever lay ahead. After a second brew, we wrestled our kit back into unfeasibly small dry bags, strapped them in place and wheeled our bikes outside to greet the day. Breakfast beckoned and although we could see the cafe from where we stood, we were far too early for it to be open but it didn't matter, I knew just the place to pit-stop once we'd warmed our legs and lungs up.

Although no stranger to riding, Rich wasn't used to back to back days. He fidgeted in his saddle and tried hard to coax his legs back into life, progress was steady rather than blistering. I glanced behind me but no sign, he probably wasn't far away but the twists and turns in the road made constant visual contact difficult. Reaching the entrance to the car park, I pulled over and waited. Seconds turned to minutes, where was he? There'd been no turn-off's, he couldn't have gotten lost, I'd have to go back. I turned round in the road but before I placed my foot on the pedal, he appeared. "Okay?" I quizzed, "yes fine, just finding it hard going this morning" he replied between short gasps.

At the far end of the cabin amongst the displays of Welsh tea towels, fridge magnets and coasters, was a small low counter and behind it, stood a large woman. "Morning, how are ya?", I asked, "never better, two breakfasts is it me lovelies?" she asked. "I think so and an extra pot of tea please". Rich negotiated the maze of Welsh souvenirs and sat down at one of the four tables. As I pulled out a chair to join him, he inquired as to where we were going, in reply I fumbled about in my jersey pocket and produced a dog eared map. "Where d'ya wanna go?" I said, passing him the map. He looked back at me with an uneasy smile that couldn't hide his panic. "You are joking?", "yeah, I'm joking but it might be fun to see where we'd end up, don't you think?". A whistle from behind the counter saved him, "come and get it me lovelies". I stood up and seconds later shimmied my way back through the dragons and toy sheep with a big tea pot in each hand.

Over breakfast I relented and showed Rich our intended route, I also explained to him that it was in no way set in stone. He asked where we'd be staying that night, I told him I didn't know and that it didn't really matter, we'd find somewhere. Contrary to what I'd expected, this seemed to fire him up and spur him on, "well I suppose we'd best get on with it then" he said pushing his plate towards the middle of the table. The day was in full swing outside, I retrieved my helmet from the ear of a big, carved wooden owl where I'd left it hanging and grabbed my bike. We rolled away from the cafe with shouts of "Ta-ra me lovelies" and "enjoy yourselves" bellowing through the open door.

We pedalled on. First the double track road lost its white lines, then it morphed into a single black track, before finally shedding its coat of tar. The previous input of saturated fat, processed carbohydrate and caffeine, seemed to have woken Rich's legs and neither the surface or the gradient appeared to be holding him back. The bright sunshine and brilliant blue skies indicated the long awaited arrival of summer - It was late, very late. The previous two weeks had swamped the countryside with rain of biblical proportions but as we rode along in the warmth of the early afternoon it was hard to imagine things had ever been any different. A few hours had passed since breakfast and we were in no rush to be anywhere specific, so when a near perfect picnic spot presented itself we took the opportunity. I armed Rich with a pot and pointed him in the direction of a nearby pool to collect water. We lounged about on the impeccably sheep shawn grass for twenty minutes, nursing plastic mugs of coffee and listening to the Cuckoos in the woods high above us.

The track continued as it had prior to our impromptu tea break, nothing taxing, nothing stressful just a meandering gravel strip contouring the hills and following the path of least resistance. "There's ford round this next corner" I said, then followed up with "it's not deep, just ride through it". As we rounded the next corner an unexpected scene presented itself. Three Landrovers, complete with snorkels, winches and every conceivable extra any hardened 'overlander' could wish for. Two were on the far side of the ford but the third was still only part way across … and the water was half way up its doors! It was obvious that we weren't crossing the ford, "c'mon we'll go up stream a bit, it'll be narrower and easier to cross there" I said trying really hard to sound convincing. Thirty metres above the ford, the river had burst its bank on one side and was now two smaller rivers with a little island in the centre, it looked like a reasonable spot to try our luck.

One of the Landrover drivers appeared on the far banking, he was waving his arms over his head and sporting a look of concern. He was shouting at us, it was in English but with a heavy foreign accent. "Bonjour" I shouted across the roar of the river, "he's not French" said Rich, "is he not?, he sounds French". With a little more articulating, it became apparent that our Dutch friend didn't want us to attempt the crossing and instead wanted to ferry us across in his 4x4. Stupidity and stubbornness make good bed-fellows and today they were cuddled up under a king size duvet. It took quite a few minutes and a lot more arm waving before out knight in shining V8 Landrover finally withdraw higher up the banking to spectate. I've never been very good at accepting help and besides, the self-reliant streak runs very deep. You could tell just by looking that removing shoes and socks would be futile, we were going to get wetter than that. "I'll go first, oh and you can swim can you?" I asked.

With my bike hanging off my shoulder, I took a step. I'd expected the water to reach calf height but that first leap of faith had left me thigh deep. Another and the water was at my waist. My half submerged bike was now doing a respectable job of dragging me off my feet as it danced around in the current below the surface. I figured that if I held my nerve, then only a few more steps would be required to see me safely on board the island. The crowd on the far bank had grown to over half a dozen now and they were all lucky enough to witness me take a third step. The bottom literally fell out of my world and I sank. It wasn't until the water was somewhere just below my shoulders that my feet made contact with something solid. Things were starting to feel somewhat serious, going back wasn't an option and staying where I was, certainly wasn't. Whatever was under my feet felt reasonably stable and by turning slightly, I was able to get both hands on to the bike and very slowly slide it up and out of the water. Great - now, not only did I have both arms above my head, there was also a bicycle resting on it, I had to get rid of the bike. Now or never, do or die and my favourite, death or glory all possess quite negative undertones but I was in no position to think of anything less 'final' that conveyed the same sentiment. Anticipating complete submersion, I took an extra deep breath and threw the bike towards the banking. It rested on the edge, half on and half off, rocking gently like the coach at the end of the Italian job. The force of throwing a loaded bike had broken my toe-hold on the riverbed but thankfully, the weight of the water pushed me toward salvation rather than away from it.

I stood on top of the squidgy little island, the water escaping from my clothes doing it's best to relieve me of my shorts and I felt very, very alive. Rich stood ten feet away, "you'll be fine, you're at least 2 inches taller than me" I shouted. He wore a look that let me know, that for the second time today he was questioning my sense of humour. "Bollocks to that" he shouted back, "it's not like you made it look easy". To be fair, he had a point but one way or another he'd have to get across. I jumped back in and with a combination of much stumbling, plenty of splashing and a tiny amount of swimming made my way upstream. "Right, it's a bit shallower here, get in and pass me your bike". It must have sounded like a reasonable plan because a few seconds later Rich was stood in beside me holding his bike above the water. Taking the bike from him, I shuffled forward and with a same technique I'd employed previously, deposited it on the island alongside mine. I was quite enjoying myself now and revelling in the stupidity of it all, although I chose not to share that particular information just yet. We headed for the rear of the island where it tapered and fell away into the oncoming river, from here the far bank was only 4 or 5 feet away. I held onto Rich's jacket as he eased his way round and in front of me. "Ready, all together on your own" I said and I shoved him hard in the direction of dry land. Once he was safe, I re-took the island and as gently as I could, threw the bikes into the rushes opposite. With an extra loud splash for our attentive audience, I dropped myself back into the bubbling white water. I scanned the opposite bank, looking for a safe place to dock and once located, set sail in the hope of reaching it.

I clambered up onto the banking. "Now what?" asked Rich looking down at his rather soggy self. " Ah, the important thing to remember in situations like this, is that you can't let the side down" I replied with a sly nod towards the small crowd of witnesses. " Take your shoes off and empty the water out casually, like it's an everyday occurrence, then get on your bike", "then?" said Rich, "then, we're going to ride past and give them a big cheery wave " … "and if you fancy whistling the theme to the Great Escape while you're doing, all the better" I added.
May the bridges you burn light your way
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

For fast currents face upstream and step sideways carefully. If the bike dips into the water you can keep hold as the water just spins the wheels. If you have the bike sideways to the flow and the wheels dip in it will be taken away from you.....

Deep water try and carry it unless you have a fatbike, in which case it will float so just hold it upright as you wade across.....
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Aye - crossing rivers is a whole new ball game with a fatbike. The bike wants to float and a fast current will grab those big wheels.

FWIW, flatties (shoes made for pedals with pins, like 5:10s) aren't necessarily the best grip on sludgy rocks. I prefer something with a proper sole and so bikepack wearing approach boots.

You can get leg warmers with zips. That might help getting them on and off without taking shoes off, but only if they are skinny shoes.

I've been grateful for GoreTex (over) socks on more than one occasion. I tend to save them for the start of each day as they can make wearing sodden shoes a lot less uncomfortable.

A decision on whether or not to (partially) disrobe is usually made according to the prevailing weather and distance until the end of the ride.
Chew

Post by Chew »

I usually find a little girly scream works well :???:
redefined_cycles

Chew wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:40 pm I usually find a little girly scream works well :???:
If only I'd known... it would have been up there between points 5 and 6 (obviously appropriately referenced and accedited :-bd :lol: )
redefined_cycles

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 9:07 pm Here's a little story about crossing rivers, 'tis all true.

[/i]
:lol: :lol: thanks for that Stu... :lol: :o
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

Loved the story...I was nervous putting myself in their shoes, until they emptied their shoes of water and whistled onward.
middleagedmadness

Post by middleagedmadness »

Bit of advice my youngfella forgot on our may Bivi and ended up on his back a couple of times ,regards the the colour of rocks when standing on them ,white is fine,green is mean and black is on your back ,learnt it years ago when I was at school and to be fair it's stood me in good stead , obviously only works if you can see the rocks :wink:
redefined_cycles

:-bd
middleagedmadness wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:38 am Bit of advice my youngfella forgot on our may Bivi and ended up on his back a couple of times ,regards the the colour of rocks when standing on them ,white is fine,green is mean and black is on your back ,learnt it years ago when I was at school and to be fair it's stood me in good stead , obviously only works if you can see the rocks :wink:
Alpinum

Post by Alpinum »

voodoo_simon wrote: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:35 pm I find 99% of the time taking the bridge reduces stress levels by 100% :-bd

Edit
Serious question, deep water, let’s say above the knee, carry bike (this keeping it dry) or push it (thus increasing stability)? Which is best practice?
Once the water is above your knee the bike with a framebag will start to do more in throwing you off balance in even a light current. I hate it, but once water is well above knee and pushing hard, you're much better off carrying it. Try to find a stick (tentpole, what ever) to support yourself.

Make sure to let go of everything once you're off your feet. With a bit of luck (mostly it seems) your gear will get stuck down the river rather soon.

Find a line/path to cross. Visualise.
Big rocks usually have hole behind them but will take stress from the current.
Don't ford upstream from rapids, waterfalls or (submerged/partially submerged) trees. Check options to swim ashore if things go wrong.

Slow currents often have a very soft bed. Be aware of the potential risk of getting stuck.

Always wear some sorts of foot wear. Barefeeted asks for trouble. You quickly loose sensation in eg. glacier fed water and can't sense when you smash your foot. It's not fun when your sensation comes back to a damaged foot.

In currents go sideways. Try going slightly upstream. The river will mostly push you downstream and take you off route.

When in a group, help each other. Hook your arms and form a circle facing inward. Hold a firm grip of each other. This way taller folks can help smaller folks get through rough stuff with little issues.

Take special care in bends. Water is deepest close to the outside curve. There's often a steep bank on the outermost part of the river , so don't approach bends from their outside line, only from the inside.

When on wilderness trips I will take time and hike up/down the river to find the best spot. Sometimes for up to an hour or more. Maps and sat images for resesarch. It saves quite some stress to know a big river has a braided section just 30 min off your intended route, rather than raging in a canyon.

Make sure you can get your feet dry at some point. 5 - 6 days with constantly cold and wet feet and only 6 h of dry rest at night likely may not be enough to stop you from developing immersion foot syndrom.

Face reality. A very long and hard glacial river (or a river crossing in the UK hills in winter) crossing may cause your nerves to go kaputt. Don't wonder when even months after a very cold ford your toes show strange sensation (short, stabbing pain, pulsating pain, numbness, itchiness etc.).

An easy way to awoid difficult fords is good research. Snowmelt, glacial run off, monsoon season etc. will always have a special place in my heart when planning a trip. Try to avoid such seasons. When loads of rain is forecasted be well prepared for potential detours, short cuts, bail outs to not have to risk a hard ford.
Richpips

Post by Richpips »

Don't let a 10 year old try and cross a river on their own with a laden bike even if the river doesn't seem too fast flowing.