Uk Divide Route?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ericrobo

Re: Uk Divide Route?

Post by ericrobo »

Ian

Instead of going from Hurstwood Res all the way over to Widdop, then taking the road, you can pass Hurstwood Res (same way) then after about half a mile there is the new ish BW over Extwistle - really good riding, through Thursden, to bring you out at the same place
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

ericrobo wrote:Ian

Instead of going from Hurstwood Res all the way over to Widdop, then taking the road, you can pass Hurstwood Res (same way) then after about half a mile there is the new ish BW over Extwistle - really good riding, through Thursden, to bring you out at the same place
Awsome. Can you plot a gpx and post it here or email it to me?
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

Ian, the bit ericobo is talking about is the Pennine Bridleway so you should be able to get it from that GPX, it's part of your Northern 1000 route as well, about the 183Km mark
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Ray Young wrote:
ianfitz wrote:Heres a suggestion for keele (M6 crossing) to Greg Hut

https://ridewithgps.com/trips/8313942
Hi Ian. I think I can do a better albeit longer route from the north of the Dales. It takes in Bowes Moor and crosses to High Cup Nick from near Middleton in Teesdale. The route you have to High Cup Nick has some horrendous bike hike through waist high heather after the climb onto the top. Will get it posted up tonight.
Here we go, Tan Hill Inn to Gilsland. It includes Bowes Moor, the most desolate place I have ever experienced in the UK in all my years of riding. I rode it twenty years ago and it still stirs memories and feelings in me now, fantastic.

http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1027519005
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Forgot to say, the Tan Hill Inn is the highest pub in Britain, has some great ales, serves good food and allows free camping (or at least it used to).
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

whitestone wrote:Ian, the bit ericobo is talking about is the Pennine Bridleway so you should be able to get it from that GPX, it's part of your Northern 1000 route as well, about the 183Km mark
Ahh ok. Let's see what gregs got up his (evil) sleeve for round there first...

:wink:
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ray Young wrote:Forgot to say, the Tan Hill Inn is the highest pub in Britain, has some great ales, serves good food and allows free camping (or at least it used to).
I knew it was the highest in England but presumed there'd be a higher one where the big hills are.

Agree the route must go past it (well, I'd be stopping there for sure!) and also Greg's hut which is probably the highest bothy in Britain. There is a hut up on the carnedau which is higher but will ignore that!

Any other significant places which people feel are 'must visits'?

I wonder which of the watershed munros is the most rideable...
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Tan Hill Inn website says they now charge £5 per person for camping. Oh well, times move on.
whitestone

Post by whitestone »

ianfitz wrote:
whitestone wrote:Ian, the bit ericobo is talking about is the Pennine Bridleway so you should be able to get it from that GPX, it's part of your Northern 1000 route as well, about the 183Km mark

The PBW is pretty close to the watershed in that area (at least as far north as Barnoldswick) so I'm not sure you'd get a better line.
Better weight than wisdom, a traveller cannot carry
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Suggested route from Haltwhistle (which we pass through and not Gilsland where my last suggested section ends) to Auchengray. Some of this has not been ridden but looks to exist on sat imagery.
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1029238167
GregMay

Post by GregMay »

whitestone wrote:
ianfitz wrote:

The PBW is pretty close to the watershed in that area (at least as far north as Barnoldswick) so I'm not sure you'd get a better line.

It's not just about lines though...nice to have some good riding in too.

Ian - if you tell me where you want me to start from north, until South, in my general area I'll bob some bits in. Far better - and less gate strewn - than the MTL
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Greg take as much North and South as you know. It's all of ours to develop, I just got excited and did some clicking over a couple of lunchtimes hoping it would spur other on to suggest improvements in the route :-bd

There's a gap between the peaks best riding and where you (I'm guessing) will pick up so we can join it up
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

There's been an brilliant response to this idea. So thank's to everyone who has chipped in so far. The vast knowledge and enthusiasm on this forum has only gone to show me up for the utter fraud that I've always known myself to be.

That being said, fraud or not, I'm genuine about trying to ride this thing next year. In order to avoid the potential for additional marital strife, I've got to keep it out of school hols. So May seems like a good bet. That give us all loads of time to finesse the route, and anything that isn't in place, I/we will have to wing.

So, I guess I'm opening the floor to anyone who wants to join me for some or all of the trip next year. It's a bit unusual for me as I'm pretty unsociable, but given the collaborative effort shown to date, it'd be rude not to.

Cheers, Tom :-bd
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Catbaiter wrote:There's been an brilliant response to this idea. So thank's to everyone who has chipped in so far. The vast knowledge and enthusiasm on this forum has only gone to show me up for the utter fraud that I've always known myself to be.

That being said, fraud or not, I'm genuine about trying to ride this thing next year. In order to avoid the potential for additional marital strife, I've got to keep it out of school hols. So May seems like a good bet. That give us all loads of time to finesse the route, and anything that isn't in place, I/we will have to wing.

So, I guess I'm opening the floor to anyone who wants to join me for some or all of the trip next year. It's a bit unusual for me as I'm pretty unsociable, but given the collaborative effort shown to date, it'd be rude not to.

Cheers, Tom :-bd
Fraud? Nonsense! You've sparked a great thing by posting up.

I've not had 'the chat' but would love to ride this. May sounds good to me!
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Update

I've email Alan G to ask if would provide some input on the highland section. The southern loop, with the new start, of the HT550 is close enough to the watershed and is good riding (had a trip round it last week) just what to do after the great glen that I'm not sure of

They doesn't look like many options once past merkland lodge so I already drafted a route from there to the end, which ias further up the thread. Its a long way from me to go and recce! Anyone living in the far north that could have a look?

So the remaining known gaps are:

1, cheltenham to Keele/M6

Is this the biggest challenge in planning the route! Is there anything worth riding round there? Is the huge loop worth including or is a more direct route between Cheltenham and Keel worth thinking about instead? Is there any way to cross all of the rivers or something 'watersheddy' instead? Its 250km in a straight line but closer to 400 if the true water shed is followed. I'm not sure I'm that interested in riding though the urban midlands for that long…

I’ll click out a route and post it up, as it seems that the true watershed has a lot of roads on it in that part of the world, BWs etc look a bit thin on the ground though. At least it will pass quicker!

2, Auchengray

north until the highlands kick in. I have a Scottish bike rides guide book which has a couple of rides involving the canals which could take us over towards glasgow and link up with the WHW to go north to tyndrum. Anyone live round there? Or know some alternatives?
Ian

Post by Ian »

I admit to not reading every post in this thread, but assuming we're missing out the Avon detour, Cheltenham to Keele would be something like > Malvern Hills > Wyre Forest > Cannock, most likely interspersed with lanes and/or canal to join things up.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ian wrote:I admit to not reading every post in this thread, but assuming we're missing out the Avon detour, Cheltenham to Keele would be something like > Malvern Hills > Wyre Forest > Cannock, most likely interspersed with lanes and/or canal to join things up.
This a key decision in planning the route. Is what you describe similar to Aidans EWE? Are you able to make a GPX

I did some quick clicking yesterday following that section as close to the watershed as possible (as I dont know the area) there does look like many off road options - https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13064583 370km and 3000m of midlands roads... Doesn't appeal so much.

Is there any way for the route to visit significant features of the rivers it crosses?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

the A38 Mythe Road in tewkebury goes over a bridge in sight of where the Avon and Severn meet if thats doable?
Catbaiter

Post by Catbaiter »

This a key decision in planning the route
While I can't claim any greater authority over this process than anyone else, my view is that the Avon Loop, to some extent, should be there. The Avon is one of the biggest rivers in the country, to ignore it entirely would be to sort of miss the point.

Plus, if we're doing this thing, I'd hate for some smug wonk to come along later and tell me that I'd missed a bit.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Catbaiter wrote:
This a key decision in planning the route
While I can't claim any greater authority over this process than anyone else, my view is that the Avon Loop, to some extent, should be there. The Avon is one of the biggest rivers in the country, to ignore it entirely would be to sort of miss the point.

Plus, if we're doing this thing, I'd hate for some smug wonk to come along later and tell me that I'd missed a bit.

I do kinda agree but then look at that gpx a couple of posts up...

granted I dont know the area but it has a lot of urban areas in its 380km. There may well be better riding along the way that I've missed, and as with everywhere else input is welcomed. Worth remembering that the TD is a long way from the actual US watershed in many places.

I think at the end of the day this section may well be the part of the route which has the most difficult choices about ride quality over proximity.

If someone wants to get smug and create a 'closer to the divide' route in the future then thats fine, and no-one will stop them. Without coming off the fence I think we should aim for quality riding over proximity, but try to retain some features or character of the watershed in some way.

Would be good to see some other options so we cane make an informed choice
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

Suggested route, Auchengray to West Highland Way. Bear in mind that I have not ridden any of this apart from the small canal section and there is limited choice of off road stuff. Also a 1/2 k section with no path and a burn to cross but it looks like there is a bridge - worth it I think given that it makes an 8 k off road section doable in the Gargunnock Hills.
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1054874567
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ray Young wrote:Suggested route, Auchengray to West Highland Way. Bear in mind that I have not ridden any of this apart from the small canal section and there is limited choice of off road stuff. Also a 1/2 k section with no path and a burn to cross but it looks like there is a bridge - worth it I think given that it makes an 8 k off road section doable in the Gargunnock Hills.
http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/1054874567

looks good Ray. If I get some time this lunch I'll cut and paste what we have so far together.
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

So a bit more cutting and pasting has made this -https://ridewithgps.com/trips/8689767

There are still a lot of improvements we could make, but it is quite scary to see how long the route is at 2450km/35,500m, and how tough some sections of it are.

Pretty sure I've included everyone's routes up to now. From memory we are waiting on suggested routes around the hebden area from Greg and the highlands between Fort augustus and glen golly from Alan, but I wonder if Colin may have some ideas there too. Also to decide is the avon loop issue. I've put the version I made in there for now, but feel like that could be improved considerably - not least by reducing the c.200km of urban riding in the midlands!

As always any suggestions, feedback or improvements are encouraged.
Ray Young

Post by Ray Young »

OMG, it's a monster. That's 1,500 miles, wonder how long it would take to ride?

Any clever bods able to overlay that on the watershed map?
ianfitz

Post by ianfitz »

Ray Young wrote:OMG, it's a monster. That's 1,500 miles, wonder how long it would take to ride?

Any clever bods able to overlay that on the watershed map?
I can merge the two gpx files on bike hike easily enough.