Any mtb-ing to be had around/near Sunny Scunthorpe

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Any mtb-ing to be had around/near Sunny Scunthorpe

Post by redefined_cycles »

I think the simple answer is no. But it might save me getting my maps out whilst on shift, if someome was to confirm yay or nay... If it's a 'yes', then where abouts should I be looking. Not bothered if its flat but as long as there's a bit of light gnarl at least and maybe a few gates...
thenorthwind

Re: Any mtb-ing to be had around/near Sunny Scunthorpe

Post by thenorthwind »

I grew up near Scunthorpe, and went to college there, for my sins. I wasn't into mountain biking at the time (for fairly obvious reasons), I used to spend a lot of time riding my mountain bike around the village and farm tracks, but I can't think of anywhere I'd bother to go on a mountain bike near there now.
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

You can always ride over the Humber Bridgw for the novelty value of crossing the longest cycleable bridge in the world.
redefined_cycles

Northernwind (Dave or Andy :???: ... Andy I think) it's funny you should say that. After scrolling around the OS maps at work I almost told the nurse in charge that I'll not pick their urgent (but tiny, so don't pay too much) shifts up any more as there's not mtb to be had...

@Woodsmith, I should report you for that gravelly type comment :o :lol:

Anyway, finished work and gonna try to drive across to this edge of The Peaks to explore a bridleway that ends up as a path. So will ride up and back down (or other way round).
redefined_cycles

Then I made my route from Underbank res in OA app. Then checked google maps and about 50 mins away. Then checked the car's temp thingy and it said 35... So decided to go home. At least a local ride with heat stroke means the family can visit me :o
redefined_cycles

Ended up at wigtwizl near Sheffield and rode a track I've always looked at on OS maps but never bothered going as it ends at a footpath. Foothpath seemed wide enough so probably walkable with the bike (and all that).

Ta everyone for your inlut in case I never said already...