Fishguard to Ludlow.

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

godivatrailrider

Fishguard to Ludlow.

Post by godivatrailrider »

Working on this route for something a little different.
Train to Fishguard, ride home.
It's a bit wiggly because I can collect 6 BCQ's on the way.
https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39620209
Wasn't sure about the Llyn Brianne bit, as I could go up the killer hill to the dam ( BCQ point) that is at the end of the Doethie Valley, but I've done it before and it's brutal. There's some good looking off road sections mile 18-23, and just after Llyn Brianne, & after Builth, miles mostly 105 -120 . it all looks rideable on Bing maps (clearer satellite that Google maps) so fingers crossed.
Hopefully doing it over 3 days during Wimbledon :-bd
godivatrailrider

Re: Fishguard to Ludlow.

With a bit of tweaking it’s a goer… train from Ludlow to Fishguard … £22 including bike reservations 👍 I’m sure it costs similar to go to Shrewsbury ! Going on the 7/7. There’s a lot of lanes but I enjoy them too with a good climb and a reasonable off-road section each day.
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

Mike and me once road down to Cardigan and back one New Year. I recall we found some very pleasant stuff as we headed back in-land ... obviously, I have no recollection of quite where any of it was. :roll:
May the bridges you burn light your way
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Fri Jun 03, 2022 7:37 am Mike and me once road down to Cardigan and back one New Year. I recall we found some very pleasant stuff as we headed back in-land ... obviously, I have no recollection of quite where any of it was. :roll:
So this is a really helpful post then Stu :lol: :wink:
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

So this is a really helpful post then Stu :lol:
I did think that afterwards :roll:
Verena

Post by Verena »

Bearbonesnorm wrote: Sat Jun 04, 2022 8:27 am
So this is a really helpful post then Stu :lol:
I did think that afterwards :roll:
It's the sort of thing I say all the time to people, something "really interesting" except the key bit of information sort of escapes me .... :lol:
psling

Post by psling »

I've done (near) Newcastle Emlyn to Cardigan and it was indeed pleasant Stu :smile:
If Matt Page is about he may be able to advise on the area between Lampeter and Llyn Brianne (his home patch from memory). An alternative to riding around Llyn Brianne would be to head north from Lampeter to Llandewi Brefi and then east to Soar y Mynydd along a fairly rough track but the ride around Llyn Brianne is spectacular (if seemingly very long whilst you're doing it!).
All looks an interesting ride, one to enjoy. You'll be riding through some beautiful countryside :-bd
We go out into the hills to lose ourselves, not to get lost. You are only lost if you need to be somewhere else and if you really need to be somewhere else then you're probably in the wrong place to begin with.
Verena

Post by Verena »

Yes, I too rode from Newcastle Emlyn to Cardigan, on the back road past Cilgerran Castle last summer, and pleasant is exactly the word to describe it.

Oh, and if you're in the area, you must make sure you visit the village of Pentrecagal just outside Newcastle Emlyn. It literally means village of the sheep dung ball, not a word of a lie https://www.storifawrdrefachfelindre.cymru/pentrecagal
Do call in on my mate Ben Blue House for a cuppa while you're there - he lives in a white house :grin:
godivatrailrider

There’s a BCQ point at Llyn Brianne dam , which is why I’m heading there specifically. I was going to aim for Tregaron and then taking the stunning lane east that passes the end of Strata Florida through to Beulah, but I’d miss the BCQ 🤔
I’m looking forward to it.
Still looking for a stealth / wild camp for the the first night, somewhere about 50 miles in, Llandysul ish …
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

BCQ point
?
godivatrailrider

British Cycle Quest…. Not dissimilar to WRT but a National thing https://www.cyclinguk.org/british-cycle-quest
Bearbonesnorm

Post by Bearbonesnorm »

I'll take a look, ta.
godivatrailrider

It gives a purpose to riding to places you wouldn’t necessarily ever go to. 😎 A bit like WRT ❤️