Comment on my Nott - Brighton route!?

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

redefined_cycles

Comment on my Nott - Brighton route!?

Post by redefined_cycles »

If anyone has 'road cycling-good working knowledge' of , Loughborough, Rugby, Silverstone, Buckingham, Princes Risbourough, Neaconsfirld, Dorking and Brighton, then feel free to share your thoughts and scary traffic confrontational stories :grin:

It's a charity-ridr route I'm planning to go test at end of this month and wanna get it as close to 'correct' as poss.I think I've added a (tiny teeny) chunk or two of hardpacked gravelly bits but if you think they're potentially gonna be soggy then happy to take suggestions of alternates.

Ta v much :-bd
Last edited by redefined_cycles on Tue May 03, 2022 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
redefined_cycles

Re: Comments invited on my Nott - Brighton route!?

https://www.outdooractive.com/en/r/2361 ... al-content

If you're one of those that knows the towns and surroundings well but can't access OA properly then let me know and I'll shatr the (provisional) Strava version...
Retiredtester

Re: Comment on my Nott - Brighton route!?

Post by Retiredtester »

I know the section from Dorking down to Brighton pretty well, but can't access the os maps. Can you share the Strava link please?
redefined_cycles

Retiredtester wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 1:10 pm I know the section from Dorking down to Brighton pretty well, but can't access the os maps. Can you share the Strava link please?
Thanks Stu... here we go. If you see any guresomwly steep climbs in there don't worry. They're not as bad as Wales and they're deliberately in there (charity ride route... so don't want the entrants getting bored towards the end). Excited about Dorking but not sure why. Maybe cos it always feels so far far away.

https://www.strava.com/routes/2930620507745206604
woodsmith

Post by woodsmith »

Hi Shaf. I don't know the route ar all but the section from Loughborough to Buckingham runs parallel with routes 6 and 50 on the National Cycle route network. I don't know if this means they are less hilly or quieter but may make navigation easier for anyone not using a GPS device.
I copied the route into RWGPS to give more options on the base map than Strava offered in the link.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39294939
redefined_cycles

woodsmith wrote: Tue May 03, 2022 8:42 pm Hi Shaf. I don't know the route ar all but the section from Loughborough to Buckingham runs parallel with routes 6 and 50 on the National Cycle route network. I don't know if this means they are less hilly or quieter but may make navigation easier for anyone not using a GPS device.
I copied the route into RWGPS to give more options on the base map than Strava offered in the link.

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/39294939
Thanks for that and really appreciated. Sadly (for the riders) I've purposefully made it hilly and not necessarily easy for shops etc. Will look at your suggestion of routes 6 and 50 though I have a feeling I already considered them whilst making the route and might have added some in there...

... Just thought, routes 6 and 50 might just be the ticket for broken tarmac and gravel riding type sections. Will revisit and check in google maps too if poss. Good shout thanks Woodsmith :grin:

NB. Reason why route nav nav isn't being made especially easy or flat and with some gravel chucked in, is that I'm hoping its a stepping stone for the riders (mainly non bikepacking types) to then hopefully realise the bikepacking world and how amazing it is (and they'll raise about £750 in the process for hunger crisis/displaced/orphans).