Cairngorms Outer Loop

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Rapideye

Cairngorms Outer Loop

Post by Rapideye »

I know there are a number of posts on this and I've been reading through most of them. My questions are specific to the timings of when I'm thinking of going and re. the route. I'd be starting/finishing at Blair Atholl.

I'm trying to get home for the May BH and then do a 3 day, 2 night trip somewhere. My original plan was for the Trossachs but the outer loop caught my attention as it is raved about, probably suits me distance-wise and is also slightly more remote.

So, a couple of questions...how wary should I be about the weather at that time of year? I doubt I'd go that way if was looking bad. My next trip up would be in early Sept, so could put it off til then if that was seen as better option. River crossings an issue at that time of year?

Cairngorms Loop start is on 30th. I'd be leaving on the morning of the 29th. How busy does it get with the race or are there not enough riders to be concerned about over the course?

I've seen a few people mentioning a slight change to the route to come down Glen Tilt. From what I've seen from the route and google maps, I can't see the trail to do this, is there a route someone can share to show this? Also, if this change was taken, roughly what sort of mileage would it come to?

I've watched Escape Goat's film of his trip and have a idea of how long it'd take me (longer than Allen, that's for sure) but maybe could start heading towards Killen/Callander to finish.

All replies appreciated.
fatbikephil

Re: Cairngorms Outer Loop

Post by fatbikephil »

Weather wise its pot luck. At the end of April / early May it could be heavy snow, heavy rain or heavy sunshine. Best bet is to keep an eye on the forecast and plan accordingly. Spoiler alert - I'm off the same week for some bike riding so cue terrible weather.... There are still a fair few rivers on the outer loop that can cause problems but given how the weather is at the mo it will take a deluge to cause any major probs i.e. to actually stop you. Most of the snow melt is done (or will be by then) so shouldn't be a problem. Colin aka Scotroutes on here is local and will advise on CL numbers (and loads of other stuff on the route) but it shouldn't be a problem.

Re the Tilt descent - its easy as you just keep straight on instead of turning off to cross the river and go up the gruesome climb. It's obvious on the OS and obvious on the ground - you are following a narrow strath by the river and makes for a particularly fine way to finish the route. Distance wise the Outer loop from Blair Atholl is around 115- 120 miles depending on if you divert to Aviemore or go via Glenmore.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There are currently only two confirmed starters for Saturday 30th - and a couple of maybes. In any case there are never enough riders to cause an issue. (And it's not a race :wink: )

The worst river crossings on the outer loop are going through the Gaick. If you are starting in Blair Atholl, you'll hit these early on and you'll likely be able to determine the condition of the rivers before you even head off. There's no way of saying whether Spring or Autumn will be wetter. On the September 2019 group start, no one made it across the Gaick. One week later and I rode across it without getting my feet wet :lol:

I'm actually the organiser for the Cairngorms Loop ITT so happy to answer any other questions you might have on the route etc. Remind me a couple of days before you set off and I'll try to give an up-to-date assessment of the conditions too.
rudedog

Post by rudedog »

Ive done the outer a couple of times and went down Glen Tilt both times, didn’t realise this wasn’t the official route :grin:
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

rudedog wrote: Tue Apr 12, 2022 4:11 pm Ive done the outer a couple of times and went down Glen Tilt both times, didn’t realise this wasn’t the official route :grin:
https://www.cairngormsloop.net/cairngormsloop-map
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Thanks for the help, Phil & Colin. Much appreciated. I get the route now. I was just being dim. I was also, for some reason, thinking people go anti-clockwise. Like I said...dim :grin:. Hopefully, the weather will be decent enough to give it a go. It looks that part. Thanks for the offer, Colin. I'll take you up on that. I've already had to put it back a week, cos I forgot I had a gig to go to. Looks like I'll avoid the rush of those two starters bombing past after all. :lol:
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

You may very well be surprised at yourself, I did plan for 3 days for the outer only, but it turns out that I could have done the inner loop too with the 3 days I had. I was really lucky with the rivers, nothing too bad at all. The widest one on the way to Glen Tilt was completely rideable too - it was insane.

I struggled rather a lot on the route here -

I stayed on the track to start off with, then I saw the sheep tracks heading towards the treeline across the river, eventually....

I'd love to go back and do the inner loop and stay at the bothy for a break from the tent.
Rapideye

Post by Rapideye »

Cheers, Allen. Your faith in me is more than I've got for myself. As it stands now, I'm now need to be back a day early than I first planned, which means trying to rush around it or losing a night with the folks. I was looking forward to it being a fairly leisurely few days and I'm feeling slightly cheated as the camping is as important to me as the biking itself. I've now got doubts about going ahead with it at all and instead heading somewhere else or doing a 2-nighter on a Norfolk loop. Not really what I wanted at all. Best laid plans and all that. It's been the same story for the year so far.