cairngorms loop

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

golfcurry

cairngorms loop

Post by golfcurry »

i remember a while back seeing a loop in the cairngorms that was in the north west side of it, not the cairngorm loop though, it headed up towards inverness then looped back to aviemore, it was about 200kms, wondering if anyone remembers this one, cheers
golfcurry

Re: cairngorms loop

Post by golfcurry »

That's the one, i was looking through your posts earlier as i suspected it was yours but couldnt see it, thanks :-bd
golfcurry

Post by golfcurry »

As an XC mtb loop would you recommend this or do you have another loop in this area that would be better? looking at staying in B+b's about 30-50miles per day cheers
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

There's certainly plenty of accommodation en route. I guess the longest section without anything would be Foyers to Dores, then maybe Inverness to Carrbridge. Planning it out, you could start anywhere on the loop to make sure you don't end up in a "dead zone" at the end of a day.

I've ridden it in two days, starting Aviemore then eating in Fort Augustus before camping at Loch Tarff.

I've also ridden it in three days, starting in Inverness, camping at the Uath Lochan and then Loch Tarff.

Trail-wise I reckon I could do it on a gravel bike, the roughest section being quite short. XC MTB would be ideal though.
Dean

Post by Dean »

For a long single day route South Loch Ness Trail and Great Glen Way taking the high route (anti-clockwise) would be enjoyable.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

The "Dead Zone" is that when you're tired and can't find a suitable sleeping area or am I missing the meaning?

Edit: note to self. Dont assume stuff. Sorry. Got well mixed up.
Last edited by Escape Goat on Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Escape Goat wrote: Mon Mar 14, 2022 7:40 pm
That's the one I did, it's incredible! The "Dead Zone" is that when you're tired and can't find a suitable sleeping area or am I missing the meaning?
Oh - did you do a write-up? I'm curious to see how you got on. I've been thinking about advertising/promoting it a wee bit.
Escape Goat

Post by Escape Goat »

I didn't do a write up, I also didn't do that exact route I didn't look at the komoot link and just assumed it was the outer loop! 😂 Sorry! I read the title and just assumed, what a divvy.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Escape Goat wrote: Tue Mar 15, 2022 12:05 am I didn't do a write up, I also didn't do that exact route I didn't look at the komoot link and just assumed it was the outer loop! 😂 Sorry! I read the title and just assumed, what a divvy.
Ah bollox. Next time :wink: :lol:
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Hello

Hoping someone in the know will be keeping a eye on this thread.

Is now a good time to give the Cairngorm Loop, both inner and outer a go... gorse passable, unlikely to be mistaken for a deer etc.

I have a couple of days spare after finding myself in Aberdeen on Thursday.

If I want to submit an ITT completion do I have to start at Blair Atholl? An Aviemore start would be lovely so I can visit friends before I head off.

Thanks in advance.
ScotRoutes

Post by ScotRoutes »

Water levels are currently VERY low and the ground is mainly dry. That should make the rivers crossings easy and the Geldi-Feshie should be almost all rideable. Even the Burn of Brown should go easily by the river route rather than through the shrubs.

There will be a few areas with high plant growth. The only "bad" bit is likely to be just after Forest Lodge. Ticks are more of an issue than gorse though.

No need to worry about deer stalking. It doesn't take place at/near well established paths.

For an official ITT you need to start/end at Blait Atholl.
Mbnut

Post by Mbnut »

Brilliant, thanks.

I'll see how my work pans out.