Brig o’ Turk to Balquhidder via Glen Finglass and Ballimore

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

Charliecres

Brig o’ Turk to Balquhidder via Glen Finglass and Ballimore

Post by Charliecres »

Anyone done this track? There’s clearly some steep hike-a-bike but is it likely to be worth the effort?

The alternative seems to be an easy cycle trail to the south of Loch Venachar and then the Rob Roy way north alongside the A81, which seems likely to be a bit uninspiring. Is it?

This is part of a much bigger trip so I’m not especially looking for a challenge but I do want to avoid roads and grimness as much as poss.

Ta for any help.
ScotRoutes

Re: Brig o’ Turk to Balquhidder via Glen Finglass and Ballimore

Post by ScotRoutes »

I've not tried to link Glen Finglas to Balquhidder but NCN7 out of Callander is on an old railway bed and isn't too close to the A84. It's a very pleasant route. Prior to the track north of Strathyre being available, NCN7 used the quiet unclassified road from Strathyre to Balquhidder. I'd happily use that again.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Thanks, Colin. That’s good to know :-bd
Tam

Post by Tam »

I walked it from Balquhidder a few years ago. Coming from Glen Finglas it's a decent, if slightly chunky, gravel road. Once up to the high point and down towards Ballimore it's grassy and vague with several river crossings.

In isolation it's a reasonable ride but I think the grim factor of that stretch of NCN7 is minimal and worth doing instead :-bd
fatbikephil

Post by fatbikephil »

Charliecres wrote: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:22 am Anyone done this track? There’s clearly some steep hike-a-bike but is it likely to be worth the effort?

The alternative seems to be an easy cycle trail to the south of Loch Venachar and then the Rob Roy way north alongside the A81, which seems likely to be a bit uninspiring. Is it?

This is part of a much bigger trip so I’m not especially looking for a challenge but I do want to avoid roads and grimness as much as poss.

Ta for any help.
I did it a few times in the early '90's, Tam has it right - it goes but not very nice. NCN7 on the south side of Loch Venachar is a hoot - a narrow twisty gravel path. The Great Trossachs path on the north side of Venechar is also gravel tastic but does involve a fair old climb / descent.
As Scotroutes says NCN 7 from Callander North is a great route - easy going apart from the zig zag climb above Lochearnhead.
Charliecres

Post by Charliecres »

Fantastic. Thanks all. Decision made - I’ll stick with the easy option