Which Coast to Coast - Northern England

Questions and answers about routes.

Moderators: Bearbonesnorm, Taylor, Chew

ootini

Which Coast to Coast - Northern England

Post by ootini »

I quite fancy doing a coast to coast trip this year. Nice and lightweight on the Gravel bike and possibly using a b&b to make things a little more civilised.

Looking at the various routes available on here: https://www.cyclinguk.org/cycle/coast-c ... ternatives I was curious. Are there any routes that would be highly recommended? Suggested to avoid?
There's no specific town or city I want to visit, so that doesn't play a part. I'd like to avoid traffic where possible.

Thanks
Lazarus

Re: Which Coast to Coast - Northern England

Post by Lazarus »

Lytham to scarboroigh is the least hilly but would only recommend if you want a fast day ride
Not done any other
In Reverse

Post by In Reverse »

Way of the Roses is pleasant but is mostly on roads, including a couple of stretches of main road which I know some people aren't keen on.
thenorthwind

Post by thenorthwind »

I have more knowledge of the northern routes, the classic C2C and the Reivers, having ridden both, or bits quite a few times.

The C2C (Whitehaven to Tynemouth) is rightfully a classic (I looked down my nose at it as a waymarked route for a few years, then rode it, and realised why everyone rides it). It's mostly a road route, though there are a few bits of unpaved cycle path, notably coming out of Whitehaven, and from Parkhead station (top of the climb out of Stanhope) to the end is all cycle path, with the first half of that at least being unpaved. There are a few signed off-road alternatives along the route but it's not really worth taking a gravel bike only for them (and some would favour a MTB, which would be a drag on the rest).

The Reivers is intended as a more gravelly route, but there's quite a lot of road, albeit some very quiet lanes. Nice route though, with some really remote bits.

Been a long time since I did the Hadrian's Wall route in one go, but it's not something I'd be rushing to do again. Don't get me wrong, there's some stunning bits, but I'd rather ride them as day rides. It's not much of a challenge as a C2C route, and the Cumbrian coast isn't terribly interesting IME.

If you want something with a bit more technical challenge, it might be worth looking at the Woodcock or one of the other MTB C2C routes and rerouting round the more extreme, non-gravel-friendly bits. You could make a nice route across the Lakes, North Pennines/northern Dales and NYM without needing to bring a MTB.

The Dales Divide route would be worth a look for inspiration too.
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Galloway to Northumberland? https://frontier300.cc
The route isn't published, but it's easy enough to work out a touring route through the Borders area.
Boab

Post by Boab »

boxelder wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 12:36 pm Galloway to Northumberland? https://frontier300.cc
The route isn't published, but it's easy enough to work out a touring route through the Borders area.
While the GPX never materialised, the route was pretty much published in the handbook that used to be available on the website. There is currently a high level image of the route in the event info, so shouldn't be too hard to reproduce something similar with a bit of effort.
There are theories at the bottom of my jargon.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

This ?
https://frontier300.cc/wp-content/uploa ... se-map.jpg

I found the need to carry a hat or buff for a June ride somewhat odd I dont even have one for winter rides
boxelder

Post by boxelder »

Lazarus wrote: Fri Feb 11, 2022 8:05 pm This ?
https://frontier300.cc/wp-content/uploa ... se-map.jpg

I found the need to carry a hat or buff for a June ride somewhat odd I dont even have one for winter rides
Yep, but it's probably more for keeping you warm in the event of a late night/early morning mishap, rather than riding. Hope for best, prepare for the worst.
Lazarus

Post by Lazarus »

New one on me that and never take a hat ( do have a sealskin balaclava thingy for sleep in freezing temps) and never use a buff